I've been thinking of getting the new bold, 9700. However, my current bold is with Rogers.

I have a few questions to better understand how Blackberries and carriers work. In the Middle East for example, we buy the phone separate from the carrier. It won't have any carrier-logo on it. Would it be possible if I can do that with Blackberries too? And would that type of phone be called "unbranded"?

Or since Blackberries work with carriers, I need to get a Rogers branded phone?

Because I have a few friends that go to the Gulf often and prices there tend to be much cheaper but I'm not sure if the phone I get would work here or not... (being the phone unbranded, of course).
    10-06-09 08:40 AM
    You can use any BlackBerry, no matter the branding, on Rogers, as long as it's not SIM locked to another carrier. Also, obviously it needs to be GSM, not CDMA only.
    I don't think find much in the way of an unbranded BlackBerry though... and I don't think there'll be any unbranded 9700's for a while. But the branding on a Berry is pretty minimal compared to other types of phones. But if you can find an unbranded BlackBerry, it should work as well as any other.
    Last edited by smnc; 10-06-09 at 09:50 AM.
    10-06-09 08:50 AM
    Ok, so finding a Blackberry phone that has no carrier logo on it is difficult, is that what you're saying?

Shouldn't Blackberry be selling those types of phones? Or is it because they have to be completable with carriers hence they customize them to the carrier's functionality?
    10-06-09 08:54 AM
    Unlike a lot of other Smartphones, BlackBerries are really only useful WITH a data plan, and those need to be provided by carriers. As a result, the vast majority of Berries are sold branded.
    Compatibility isn't an issue, it's just market demand. Since you need the data plan anyway, most people just buy their Berries from their phone company.
    10-06-09 09:47 AM
    I recently upgraded to a Curve 8900. I bought it from a retail store (not from the carrier) and it is unbranded. The difference to a branded one is that you won't see the BlackBerry logo but instead the carrier logo when powering the phone on or off. Also technically speaking a difference is that the Vendor ID is 179. Lastly there's the physical details, such as your carrier logo on the BlackBerry housing, but that really does not mean much. An unbranded BlackBerry can still be used with a BlackBerry Data Plan provided that the PIN is not registered on any network previously.

Network/SIM lock has nothing to do with the branding.
    10-06-09 10:14 AM
    I recently upgraded to a Curve 8900. I bought it from a retail store (not from the carrier) and it is unbranded...

Network/SIM lock has nothing to do with the branding.
    Yeah, but he wants a 9700 and since it hasn't even launched yet it should be a while before we see unbranded units. We have to get through all the various exclusivity agreements first.

While SIM locks and branding are separate things, they do go hand in hand usually. If you buy, say an AT&T BlackBerry, it'll be both AT&T branded, and SIM locked to AT&T.
    10-06-09 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the info guys...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 03:59 PM
    Ok I just have another question: when you connect your blackberry to DM it connects to the carrier and does the upgrade of that particular carrier, so the question is what happens if you connect an unbranded one, which settings of OS will it provide you with?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD