About 3 mo. ago I gave my wife my Bold 9000 and she loves the querty kb but dosn't use or want a data plan. Everything was working wwell untill ATT shut down her service saying that she now had to sign up for the data plan. She really wants to keep the Bold, but at $30/mo, it's foolish.

If I got her Bold unlocked, could she then use it w/o a data plan on ATT?
    03-27-10 11:09 AM
    Unlocking simply lets you use a phone with another carrier's SIM card. It has no affect on use on the original carrier's service. The IMEI will still be recognized by AT&T as belonging to a BlackBerry, so it will still show up as requiring a data plan.
    03-27-10 11:12 AM
    Thanks Laura
    03-27-10 11:40 AM
    Yup sorry, would need to get her a messaging phone in order to avoid the data plan.
    03-27-10 02:28 PM
    Although I love AT&T, I still find it ridiculous that they oblige you to sign up with a Data Plan if the notice you use a Blackberry.
    03-30-10 12:51 AM
    Although I love AT&T, I still find it ridiculous that they oblige you to sign up with a Data Plan if the notice you use a Blackberry.
    Never sold a BlackBerry or any other smartphone device when I worked for AT&T to anyone if they didn't plan on using a data plan. That's why they have messaging phones.
    03-30-10 10:26 AM
    Never sold a BlackBerry or any other smartphone device when I worked for AT&T to anyone if they didn't plan on using a data plan. That's why they have messaging phones.
    I agree, but it's nonsense to oblige a customer to sign up for a Data Plan. Some people go with Blackberry because they like the look/feel.
    03-30-10 11:06 AM
    I agree, but it's nonsense to oblige a customer to sign up for a Data Plan. Some people go with Blackberry because they like the look/feel.
    In that case let me sell you some iClone's
    03-30-10 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD