Greetings, new to the forums, but have lurked for quite some time.

I'm debating unlocking my Bold 9700 and I'm wondering if there's any problems that one commonly encounters that I should be aware of?

I'm assuming since all "messages" go through RIM's servers that the data plan (even if it exists on the account) won't work, with an unlocked phone on it's non-original network?
    03-30-11 04:38 AM
    The only thing unlocking a BlackBerry does is allow the device to be used on a carrier other than that to which it is branded.

It does not affect the RIM servers. It will not affect the functionality of the device other than allowing in to work on a different carrier.
    sk1ppy likes this.
    03-30-11 05:54 AM
    Brilliant, that's fantastic to hear.
    03-30-11 06:05 AM
    The only thing unlocking a BlackBerry does is allow the device to be used on a carrier other than that to which it is branded.

It does not affect the RIM servers. It will not affect the functionality of the device other than allowing in to work on a different carrier.
    great answer
    03-30-11 01:50 PM
    Greetings, new to the forums, but have lurked for quite some time.

I'm debating unlocking my Bold 9700 and I'm wondering if there's any problems that one commonly encounters that I should be aware of?

I'm assuming since all "messages" go through RIM's servers that the data plan (even if it exists on the account) won't work, with an unlocked phone on it's non-original network?

Being unlocked doesn't affect any of the devices native features as long as you have the necessary data plan.
    04-01-11 01:58 PM
    Exactly! Unlocking your phone won't affect the function of your phone besides allowing you to use it on other networks
    04-02-11 07:09 PM
    Brilliant, that's fantastic to hear.
    all good and no bad! glad you decided to finally join!
    04-03-11 03:17 PM
    There are no side effects when unlocking your blackberry. Many think it voids your warranty but not true.
    04-04-11 07:59 PM
    i'd say the most difficult is moving the service books over but with some good customer service your all good!
    04-06-11 05:44 PM
    again this was posted in April
    09-09-11 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD