Im trying to unlock my storm. I have tried calling Verizion but they wont give me the unlock code for some reason. I have noticed when you changed OS you delete the vendor.xml file. Does this mean that I can pop in my tmobile sim card and it should work? Meaning is the phone unlocked until I change to a different OS? Or is the vendor.xml file for a whole different thing?
    11-02-09 05:29 PM
    The vendor file "assigns" the OS to a carrier and it's phones. If you have a Verizon phone and Verizon releases an update you don't need to delete the Vendor file, but if you have TMO and Verizon releases an update you need to delete the Vendor file. Unless your phone is unlocked you cannot just pop in your SIM card and get it working. The phone needs to be unlocked. Did you try telling CS you are going out of the country? That usually seems to work along with getting different reps.
    11-02-09 05:32 PM
    To add to what amavit said, you may need to try a few times and different methods with VZW. Here's what worked for me though after talking to two different people who didn't even know the Storm was a world phone and had a SIM card...lol!

As soon as a customer service rep answers tell them you are planning on going out of the country and you would like to speak to global support. They *should* transfer you directly to global support then. Now just tell them you would like to be able to use a pre-purchased SIM card to use in your oversea travels and would like to get your unlock code. If your account is in good standing and you've been with Verizon for more than 3 months (I think that's what it is), they will lead you through the unlocking process.

Again though, Verizon HAS to be your current carrier, your Storm has to be connected with them currently, and you have to be in good standing. If those things don't apply then you will need to go through an unlock company suck as cellunlock.net (I think?) or another and pay for the service.

Oh yeah...one more thing. If you're planning on using the phone on T-Mo, don't upgrade to 5.0 software. Stay on 4.7. There is a bug in the GSM side of 5.0 that is making it impossible for T-Mo subscribers to make calls. AFAIK AT&T is fine though, but you may want to research that to be sure.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 11-02-09 at 05:52 PM. Reason: edit
    11-02-09 05:49 PM
    To add to what amavit said, you may need to try a few times and different methods with VZW. Here's what worked for me though after talking to two different people who didn't even know the Storm was a world phone and had a SIM card...lol!

As soon as a customer service rep answers tell them you are planning on going out of the country and you would like to speak to global support. They *should* transfer you directly to global support then. Now just tell them you would like to be able to use a pre-purchased SIM card to use in your oversea travels and would like to get your unlock code. If your account is in good standing and you've been with Verizon for more than 3 months (I think that's what it is), they will lead you through the unlocking process.

Again though, Verizon HAS to be your current carrier, your Storm has to be connected with them currently, and you have to be in good standing. If those things don't apply then you will need to go through an unlock company suck as cellunlock.net (I think?) or another and pay for the service.

Oh yeah...one more thing. If you're planning on using the phone on T-Mo, don't upgrade to 5.0 software. Stay on 4.7. There is a bug in the GSM side of 5.0 that is making it impossible for T-Mo subscribers to make calls. AFAIK AT&T is fine though, but you may want to research that to be sure.
    I know most likey that I will be going thru unlocktotalk.com. Really there is a bug? I havent seen anything on the forum about it, unless I am looking in the places. Can you post a link? Because I love the 5.0 os and really dont want to downgrade
    11-02-09 08:16 PM
    I know most likey that I will be going thru unlocktotalk.com. Really there is a bug? I havent seen anything on the forum about it, unless I am looking in the places. Can you post a link? Because I love the 5.0 os and really dont want to downgrade
    REALLY??????

Are you serious? What forum have you been reading? The problem is well documented on at least 3 different forums that I know of. I myself have posted several times asking for help with this issue, even to the point of trying to find a way to create a hybrid version of the 5.0 OS.

The problem is area specific in that it affects some people in some areas and not other people in other areas.

You need to do more research and learning before you attempt to start messing with your phone. You might even want to look into getting some help from someone local to you that is well versed in what you are trying to do.

--> DougiePhresh
    11-02-09 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD