Hi everyone. I am trying to help my son.
    He has a Blackberry Bold 9650 dual band version 6X software.
    Rates changed and as well as his job income and he could no longer afford to pay the bill. They shut him off and he is seeking help on unlocking the phone so he can continue using it with another service provider that he can afford.
    Any help is really appreciated.
    07-26-11 06:10 PM
    The ESN is now bad. If you use GSM you can still use it, as GSM doesnt use ESNs.
    AT&T or T-Mobile are the two major US GSM carriers.
    sonsbb likes this.
    07-26-11 06:13 PM
    I have no idea what you just said so maybe my son might lol
    I am not savvy on cell phones
    Thanks
    07-26-11 06:18 PM
    I have no idea what you just said so maybe my son might lol
    I am not savvy on cell phones
    Thanks
    Sorry. Let me break it down for you.
    The Electronic Serial Number has been marked as bad by Verizon.
    Verizon uses CDMA technology for their phones. Most US cellphone carrier's use GSM technology for their phones.

Your son can unlock his Bold 9650 and use it on a GSM carrier.
    Such as AT&T or T-Mobile.

Also, after reading around, the device will only work as a phone. No data. Not sure about that one though. Can anyone conform?
    sonsbb likes this.
    07-26-11 06:21 PM
    You can unlock the Blackberry 9650 by Verizon for GSM use.
    The best option as i see that, if your son uses services but don't have the money to pay the bill - he can get it unlocked using an online service, then get a T-Mobile Pre-Paid sim card with a Data plan and use it with T-Mobile.

Unlocking the device can be done as regular buy using the unlock code that you can buy online.
    here are the Blackberry 9650 unlocking instructions if needed.

After unlocking it he needs to contact Verizon and get the PIN number released.
    Then use the ##000000 code (just dial it from the unlocked Verizon Blackberry device) it will show a menu where he can change the phone number (change it to the new phone number from the SIM card) and set it to be used as GSM phone.

That's it.
    07-31-11 09:02 AM
    After unlocking it he needs to contact Verizon and get the PIN number released.
    Then use the ##000000 code (just dial it from the unlocked Verizon Blackberry device) it will show a menu where he can change the phone number (change it to the new phone number from the SIM card) and set it to be used as GSM phone.

That's it.
    Dont let Verizon give you the runaround as they will sometimes depending on the customer service rep you get. Just ask for another ep until you get the info you want.
    07-31-11 05:26 PM
    Yes you can unlock it however verizon will not give you an unlock code since the bill is not paid. You will have to buy it from a provider.
    08-01-11 07:20 PM
    Rates changed and as well as his job income and he could no longer afford to pay the bill. They shut him off and he is seeking help on unlocking the phone so he can continue using it with another service provider that he can afford.
    You will only be able to use it on 2G network with either AT&T and Tmobile.
    08-01-11 08:23 PM
    Yup sure can. Doesn't have to be active on the Verizon Wireless Network.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.303069,-119.317176
    08-03-11 09:22 PM
    Yes he can but only on 2g network.
    10-06-11 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD