so, i am actually a palm pre user(sprint) but i am going to europe, and japan. so, i bought me a nice little bb storm 9530 for verizon. now, here is my dilemma. the phone is not currently unlocked, and i do not have verizon. so, no sim card, no help from anyone at verizon, and all that fun stuff.

so my question to everyone. if i get this unlocked(dont know how) can i use it over seas? i plan on buying a pre-paid sim card there.

any ideas how to get it unlocked too, since i dont have a sim card?

thanks everyone
    12-11-09 07:09 PM
    Yes you can get it unlocked and use a prepaid Sim in Europe. Look in the unlocking forum and one of those guys like carrierunlock should be able to hook you up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 07:45 PM
    how do i do it? i dont even have a sim card
    12-11-09 10:17 PM
    You don't need one to unlock it. Its done through an engineering screen. Just type in the code and its unlocked. There is no one code. The code must be generated for each device. Like I said, go to the BB UNLOCKING forum and you will find several unlockers in there.

12-11-09 10:57 PM
    I think cellunlock has a contest this week for some free codes.

12-12-09 09:59 AM
    thanks all for the help. i contacted the user you told me about
    12-12-09 01:59 PM
    i already got a code from another site... didnt work. how do i get the correct imei number from my phone?
    12-12-09 02:00 PM
    i already got a code from another site... didnt work. how do i get the correct imei number from my phone?
    In the phone dial screen enter the phone number *#06# and the IMEI should display

Be aware that prepay Blackberry service in Europe is as rare as Rockinghorse dung. You probably won't find BB service without a 12 month minimum contract. However you woll find plenty of prepay phone and internet/web deals available.

12-12-09 02:37 PM
    wait, so i cant use my bb on a prepay? i just want to make calls, and use data. not the bb services
    12-12-09 02:39 PM
    anyone know if i can use this for data/calls on a roaming sim?
    12-13-09 01:22 PM
    wait, so i cant use my bb on a prepay? i just want to make calls, and use data. not the bb services
    Sounds good to me. You should not have a problem finding a local prepay SIM once you have your phone unlocked, the only service which is difficult to find is the BB data.

It will work for voice band services (voice, SMS, MMS) for sure. However I'm not sure how a Storm will behave for web data without the BB service. The default web services all go back through RIM servers so you might have a problem there. Suggest you ask more questions, there are sure to be a few users who have tried it.
    12-13-09 02:00 PM
    i guess this could be important. if not, its to a nokia n95, or a winblows mobile
    12-13-09 05:53 PM
    Let us know if you need it unlocked Will work overseas as long as you switch it to 2G and reboot it with the sim card inside.
    12-13-09 10:02 PM
    Sounds good to me. You should not have a problem finding a local prepay SIM once you have your phone unlocked, the only service which is difficult to find is the BB data.

It will work for voice band services (voice, SMS, MMS) for sure. However I'm not sure how a Storm will behave for web data without the BB service. The default web services all go back through RIM servers so you might have a problem there. Suggest you ask more questions, there are sure to be a few users who have tried it.

I did this on Vodafone UK last year. u wont find BB data on prepay but if your phone is unlocked and u put a european sim in, u should be able to use the WAP serviuce of that carrier which will essentially be Vodafone live type service not BIS
    12-13-09 10:16 PM
    Moving to BB Unlocking
    12-14-09 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD