I'm traveling to Portugal in 2 months to visit my mother and I have a Verizon Tour and in the Tour it has a sim card to use in places that Verizon doesn't cover.

My question is can I remove that card and use a card from there like a TMN card (there cell phone company) or my phone locked to Verizon. I don't want to pay international roaming calls.
    01-17-10 07:58 PM
    You need to get your Tour unlocked and then you can use another SIM card in it. Right now, your Tour is locked to VZW and the Vodafone SIM.

If your Tour and carrier is VZW you should be able to call VZW and they will give you the unlock code.
    01-17-10 07:59 PM
    They also use vodafone there, maybe it would just as EZ to get a vodafone card.
    01-17-10 08:05 PM
    Just unlock it and then pick up whichever carriers sim card nearby
    01-17-10 09:47 PM
    I'm traveling to Portugal in 2 months to visit my mother and I have a Verizon Tour and in the Tour it has a sim card to use in places that Verizon doesn't cover.

My question is can I remove that card and use a card from there like a TMN card (there cell phone company) or my phone locked to Verizon. I don't want to pay international roaming calls.
    Yes you can unlock your Tour and use it with any GSM SIM card worldwide. We can help you unlock it.

If you have an account with Verizon, you can call them and they should give you the code for free
    01-17-10 11:40 PM
    Thank you for everyones help. I will call Verizon and see if they give me the code first.
    01-18-10 06:49 AM
    Thank you for everyones help. I will call Verizon and see if they give me the code first.
    You're very welcome, let us know how it goes
    01-18-10 09:10 AM
    I called Verizon and they were very nice and gave me the unlock code right over the phone. But I'm having a hard time doing this. I followed these instruction.

Blackberry 9700, 9630, 9000, 8900, 88xx, 8520, 83xx
    1. Go to settings menu and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options and then SIM card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEPD)
    4. Type MEP2 on your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEP2)
    5. You should be presented with a prompt "Enter Network MEP Code". Type in the unlock code received and press in the trackball dial to confirm
    6. Your phone is now unlocked

But I never see what number 5 says "Enter network Mep code"
    01-18-10 10:40 AM
    I called Verizon and they were very nice and gave me the unlock code right over the phone. But I'm having a hard time doing this. I followed these instruction.

Blackberry 9700, 9630, 9000, 8900, 88xx, 8520, 83xx
    1. Go to settings menu and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options and then SIM card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEPD)
    4. Type MEP2 on your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEP2)
    5. You should be presented with a prompt "Enter Network MEP Code". Type in the unlock code received and press in the trackball dial to confirm
    6. Your phone is now unlocked

But I never see what number 5 says "Enter network Mep code"
    Glad to hear you got the code for free!

As for entering the code...do you have a SIM card in the phone? if not put one in.

Also before going through the unlock procedure, go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G, and then try again the unlocking procedure.
    01-18-10 11:18 AM
    well that didn't either
    01-18-10 11:29 AM
    well that didn't either
    What do you see beside Network after you type the letters "mepd" ?
    01-18-10 11:32 AM
    ID: 8931xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Personalization
    sim disabled
    network active

network subset disabled
    service provider disabled
    corporate disabled
    01-18-10 11:37 AM
    ID: 8931xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Personalization
    sim disabled
    network active

network subset disabled
    service provider disabled
    corporate disabled
    And what happens if you type "mep [alt] 2" are you prompted for the code?

Another thing also which is possible, is that some 8830/9530/9630 have a software issue where you will enter the code and it will be accepted and unlock the phone but the phone will still show "Active"

Which SIM card are you trying to use?
    01-18-10 11:41 AM
    I have the card that came with the phone now which is a Verizon gobal card.
    01-18-10 11:47 AM
    I have the card that came with the phone now which is a Verizon gobal card.
    That Verizon/Vodaphone SIM card is only meant to work overseas if you plan on roaming with Verizon.

In order to test the phone, you would need to do it with a SIM card from overseas because the 8830 even once unlocked will not work with N. & S. American providers.
    01-18-10 11:50 AM
    Verizon said that they would help me do this. But there toll free line is not working this moring.
    01-18-10 11:50 AM
    It's a holiday so they may closed
    01-18-10 02:30 PM
    Verizon said that they would help me do this. But there toll free line is not working this moring.
    Is there any way you can try the process with an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card? it doesn't need to be active.
    01-18-10 05:30 PM
    I tried an old TMO card and it said it was invaild card and the producers did not work. I'll wait unit tomorrow and I'll call verizon
    01-18-10 06:35 PM
    I tried an old TMO card and it said it was invaild card and the producers did not work. I'll wait unit tomorrow and I'll call verizon
    Out of curiosity...after you type the letter "mepd" you need to type "mep2" , that's "mep [alt button] 2"

Just want to make sure you pressed the ALT key before pressing the number 2
    01-18-10 06:40 PM
    Yes I did enter mep Alt 2
    01-18-10 06:56 PM
    I had to get four of my BB's unlocked (had four over the years). I have always used www.gsmphonesource.com. This unlocking company is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED . Never fails and awesome customer service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 07:03 PM
    Let us know if you need any help unlocking your phone!
    01-19-10 07:49 AM
    Yes I did enter mep Alt 2
    Do you have the latest OS on your phone?
    01-19-10 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD