I am currently saving my cash to buy an unlocked 8220. i am on a local provider (Cincinnati bell) and they offer the UMA service, and i pay them 10 dollars a month for it. so my question is, can i use this with my *hopefully* soon to be purchased phone?

also, if anyone knows of good/cheap and reliable places to get unlocked phones, please let me know

thanks
    04-21-09 04:50 PM
    The only thing unlocking a phone does is allow it to be used with another GSM carrier than the one it is branded to. It has no affect on the phone's features such as UMA. You should be fine.
    04-21-09 05:51 PM
    i had just read somewhere that it was closely tied to some app on the phone or some form of a carrier specific service book type thing. thanks for clearing that up.

now, does anyone have any good sites to purchase unlocked phones for a "reasonable" (i personally think they are all pretty expensive, but its worth it.) price?
    04-21-09 09:04 PM
    It just so happens I have an unlocked 8220 I may be willing to sell. I currently have a Storm but have always had flip phones all my life so I was thinking about giving the Pearl Flip a try. If you're interested let me know.
    04-22-09 09:32 PM
    i am actually interested in that. some basic information would be awesome

first off, how much are you asking?
    secondly, what is included (charger, battery, data cord, etc.)
    i know it might be silly, but what color is it? (red or black)
    how old is the phone and what condition is it in? pictures would be great. you can send them and/or this information to my email (tom032792@hotmail.com) or post it here, whatever is more convenient for you.

thank you!
    04-22-09 09:37 PM
    I'm not really sure how much I want for it. Like I said I was thinking about using it myself. It comes with everything that comes with one when you purchase it from T-Mobile. It is the black model. I'll email you.
    04-22-09 09:40 PM
    i am on a local provider (Cincinnati bell) and they offer the UMA service, and i pay them 10 dollars a month for it. so my question is, can i use this with my *hopefully* soon to be purchased phone?
    You'll need to provision your phone with the Cincinnati Bell UMA profile.

There are instructions on the basic process here: Use Any UMA Enabled BlackBerry On T-Mobile U.S. | BlackBerryNews.com

The eScreen generator link in that post is not usable anymore though, so you'll want to use my alternative generator: BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth).

You'll also need to acquire the UMA provisioning settings for your provider. The provisioning settings for the larger UMA providers like T-Mobile, Orange UK, and Rogers are pretty well known (especially as those profiles are built into the GAN modules in the BlackBerry OS), but getting that information for a smaller provider might be difficult.

Customer support representatives tend to be clueless, and adamant that they can't help you. If you have a friend with a UMA enabled BlackBerry on your provider, you can extract the settings from their device. If not, you can always try a display model at one of your provider's stores.
    04-22-09 09:59 PM
    You'll need to provision your phone with the Cincinnati Bell UMA profile.

There are instructions on the basic process here: Use Any UMA Enabled BlackBerry On T-Mobile U.S. | BlackBerryNews.com

The eScreen generator link in that post is not usable anymore though, so you'll want to use my alternative generator: BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth).

You'll also need to acquire the UMA provisioning settings for your provider. The provisioning settings for the larger UMA providers like T-Mobile, Orange UK, and Rogers are pretty well known (especially as those profiles are built into the GAN modules in the BlackBerry OS), but getting that information for a smaller provider might be difficult.

Customer support representatives tend to be clueless, and adamant that they can't help you. If you have a friend with a UMA enabled BlackBerry on your provider, you can extract the settings from their device. If not, you can always try a display model at one of your provider's stores.
    Yeah, go to a store and unlock e-screens and take the settings ; )
    04-23-09 01:58 AM
    i have an 8120 with this service tied to it.. so how would i extract what id need?
    04-23-09 05:17 PM
    Read the instructions I posted. It guides you to the UMA provisioning settings within the Engineering Screens. You can see the UMA provisioning settings that are on your existing device, write them down, then set them in your new device.
    04-23-09 07:29 PM
    any ideas on logging on to the escreens?user and password dont work
    05-07-09 08:41 PM
    Your code generator works great! I am up to the point were I need the SEGW certificate for Rogers and am not able to find it. Any suggestions? I have a 8820 that was originally AT&T.
    05-26-09 11:01 AM
    Got it going thanks to a helpful member.
    06-12-09 04:35 PM
    Hello, I am pretty new to this whole thing, and was wondering how to get my unlocked (T-mobile) 8900 to work on Cincinnati Bell using UMA. I only seem to have the Wifi symbol. I also have another Cincinnati bell blackberry 8520 that I could get any certificates from, but I have no clue how to do that or what exactly I need to do. I would appreciate any advice or help..... Thank you in advance.
    03-11-10 02:16 AM
    No kidding. I just bought an 8220 from wirefly.com. New for $70 no contract. Then I will use cellunlock.net or gsmliberty to unlock the phone for $15-$19 more. Brand new Pearl flip for about $90, no contract.
    05-28-10 12:48 PM
    ok the link that was posted is dead, i am having an issue where i only get edge and my 9700 can not connect to the server so that i can get my email (Unlocked Att blackberry with tmobile service)
    08-02-10 11:47 PM
    wow i keep seeing people paying $15 for unlock codes yet im offering them for $6 here: UNLOCKING YOUR BLACKBERRY - Products
    08-05-10 04:06 PM
    Nice to see newbies ignore the OP's question and just spam the boards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 05:57 PM
    ok the link that was posted is dead, i am having an issue where i only get edge and my 9700 can not connect to the server so that i can get my email (Unlocked Att blackberry with tmobile service)
    Make sure you have a bis or bes plan and that you are receiving the necessary service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD