New to the site, can i just go to verizon's site and buy a new storm and then unlock it without issues such as activation? i spoke to a rep and they mentioned i can buy the phone now $145 and activate the phone later. is it possible?
    06-23-09 12:50 PM
    Pretty sure you will have to pay full retail if you don't sign up for a plan at the time of purchase.
    06-23-09 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the info. i guess i should just buy a phone already unlocked. If i buy a phone unlocked, should it be as easy as pulling my sim card from my existing tmobile bberry and placing in unlocked phone? will it work immediately? i see people selling the phones and want to test before giving up the money. any info will be greatly appreciated.
    06-23-09 01:36 PM
    Thanks for the info. i guess i should just buy a phone already unlocked. If i buy a phone unlocked, should it be as easy as pulling my sim card from my existing tmobile bberry and placing in unlocked phone? will it work immediately? i see people selling the phones and want to test before giving up the money. any info will be greatly appreciated.

You have to do some actual tinkering to make it work properly T-mobile. There is a thread for that topic somewhere here. Also I think you will not be able to utilize 3g capabilities of your storm because your are in North America.
    06-23-09 01:45 PM
    Yes and No.

After you put your SIM in, fire up the phone:

1- Go to Options>Mobile Network
    2- Change Network Technology to GSM/UMTS, and change 2G/3G to 2G

Then:

1- Go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table
    2- Hit the BB Button
    3- Register Now

If you don't have a browser repeat the 2nd step, you may have to do a battery pull.

This is all I had to do to get T-Mobile to work on my phone. For the record, I'm running .148.
    06-23-09 01:48 PM
    New to the site, can i just go to verizon's site and buy a new storm and then unlock it without issues such as activation? i spoke to a rep and they mentioned i can buy the phone now $145 and activate the phone later. is it possible?
    I tried that before and was told that I couldn't buy the phone without a contract even at full retail. Who knows? Maybe I just went to the wrong vzw store or something. I ended up buying a brand new one from Craigslist already unlocked for under 1/2 the price anyway. Just make sure you check the phone to make sure its unlocked before forking over any green. If they really wanna sell it, they'll let you check it first. If they won't, don't buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 02:24 PM
    all you guys are great! thanks for the info. on my way to go buy a phone. thanks again.
    06-23-09 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD