Greetings,

I have looked up several recently released, high end/premium smartphones that compete with the Z10 and Q10.

The iPhone 5 unlocks go for at most $5. The Note 2 goes for about the same. The HTC One goes for about $10.

I will pay any legitimate unlocker $11 to unlock my T-Mobile USA Z10. Payment through PayPal.

Unless there's something that I am completely and utterly ignorant to, I cannot for the life of me understand why BlackBerry 10 unlock codes are still in the$20-$30 range. The price should have dropped when BlackBerry 10 platform was made available in all markets. It hasn't.

Please help a fellow out.

EDIT: $75 for CrackBerry Unlocking...?! Is the bloody phone included for that price? That borders on morally wrong. I hope members here try their carrier first. T-Mobile unlocked my first Z10 FREE. Only reason I need one now is for my second Z10 and they have a 90 day wait policy.

~STV
    05-29-13 12:45 AM
    Bought mine March 26th and unlocked same day through T-Mobile. Whoever said there's a 90 policy was yanking yer leg. Call back and try again.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:58 AM
    Bought mine March 26th and unlocked same day through T-Mobile. Whoever said there's a 90 policy was yanking yer leg. Call back and try again.

Posted via CB10
    I called twice, mate. Sounds like you misunderstood me.

You cannot unlock two phones for the same person in less than 90 days. You unlock one, they make you wait 90 days before you unlock another.

And that's odd that they let you do it the same day because I also got mine March 26th and I had to wait an initial 40 day period before they would allow me to unlock it.

~STV
    05-29-13 01:04 AM
    Why is no one talking about the extremely expensive BlackBerry 10 unlocks? It seems from searching folks have just quietly accepted it as the way it is.

Well, why is it that way? Why is directly competing phones HTC One and Z10 which came out in US similarly so difference in unlock cost?

Again, $11 immediately through PayPal for any unlocker willing to help me.

UPDATE: There are several reputable sellers on ebay selling Z10 codes for $19 but none for T-Mobile. Could you beat or match that price please? Thanks so much!

~STV
    05-29-13 01:06 AM
    Why is no one talking about the extremely expensive BlackBerry 10 unlocks? It seems from searching folks have just quietly accepted it as the way it is.

Well, why is it that way? Why is directly competing phones HTC One and Z10 which came out in US similarly so difference in unlock cost?

Again, $11 immediately through PayPal for any unlocker willing to help me.

UPDATE: There are several reputable sellers on ebay selling Z10 codes for $19 but none for T-Mobile. Could you beat or match that price please? Thanks so much!

~STV
    To answer your question, it comes down to the unlocking methods. Not every phone is the same. HTC phones generally use one method and this has been known for a while, thus the cheap unlock cost. That's the same for many phones including old BlackBerries. The BB10 devices, however, have a different unlocking mechanism. Some of the unlocks are cheaper if you can go through a carrier method, but for any phones not through a carrier (e.g. T-Mobile), they need to obtain an unlock code using a different method. That different method is much more expensive.

So in short, you can't simply compare one phone to another, or even the same phone on different networks. It simply doesn't work that way. As an example, iPhone unlocks for AT&T are very cheap, but iPhone unlocks on other networks can be insanely expensive (e.g. $200 on Bell in Canada), simply due to their different methods and who in those organizations have leaked what information.

Also, you must also take into account the legality of providing you with an unlock code. Unless you have explicit permission from T-Mobile for you to unlock the phone, you are committing an illegal act and the entity that provided you a code may also be considered to have committed an illegal act. So if you don't have permission and want you're phone unlocked, you should be prepared to pay extra for the risk associated with that unlock code. Just something to consider.

Prices may go down soon, but they may also stay fairly high for quite a while. It all depends on who leaks what information and the length of time to, potentially, reverse engineer the locking mechanisms.
    MobileUnlocked likes this.
    05-29-13 08:34 PM
    To answer your question, it comes down to the unlocking methods. Not every phone is the same. HTC phones generally use one method and this has been known for a while, thus the cheap unlock cost. That's the same for many phones including old BlackBerries. The BB10 devices, however, have a different unlocking mechanism. Some of the unlocks are cheaper if you can go through a carrier method, but for any phones not through a carrier (e.g. T-Mobile), they need to obtain an unlock code using a different method. That different method is much more expensive.

So in short, you can't simply compare one phone to another, or even the same phone on different networks. It simply doesn't work that way. As an example, iPhone unlocks for AT&T are very cheap, but iPhone unlocks on other networks can be insanely expensive (e.g. $200 on Bell in Canada), simply due to their different methods and who in those organizations have leaked what information.

Also, you must also take into account the legality of providing you with an unlock code. Unless you have explicit permission from T-Mobile for you to unlock the phone, you are committing an illegal act and the entity that provided you a code may also be considered to have committed an illegal act. So if you don't have permission and want you're phone unlocked, you should be prepared to pay extra for the risk associated with that unlock code. Just something to consider.

Prices may go down soon, but they may also stay fairly high for quite a while. It all depends on who leaks what information and the length of time to, potentially, reverse engineer the locking mechanisms.
    Yes...I almost forgot about that recent law passed in the US. Bloody ridiculous legislation if you ask me.

In that case, screw T-Mobile 90 day policy. I'm going to call and connect to the cancellation department with absolutely no real intent to cancel but play the four+ years loyal customer and now out of contract card and demand my second Z10 be unlocked. What the heck do they have to loose? I already told them I'm not doing it to leave them or use other carriers overseas. I'm doing it to get updates from a Rogers SIM because I can't wait for the United States of Molasses carriers to be motivated enough to stick a fork in 10.1 testing and push it out.

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to explain all that. I learned something today and I'm glad I did.

~STV
    05-30-13 12:11 AM
    Thanks OP for referring me to ebay for unlock codes. Saw it for $15 for my AT&T z10. Tried calling AT&T but was told my phone was not eligible currently for unlocking. Refuse to pay $45 for an unlock code.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 02:01 AM
    Thanks OP for referring me to ebay for unlock codes. Saw it for $15 for my AT&T z10. Tried calling AT&T but was told my phone was not eligible currently for unlocking. Refuse to pay $45 for an unlock code.

Posted via CB10

AT&T is cheaper than T-Mobile unlock.

Lucky!!

~STV
    Last edited by STV0726; 05-31-13 at 07:00 AM.
    05-30-13 07:18 AM
    I just called T-Mobile's cancellation "Customer Loyalty" department and despite the threat to cancel (which I would not do over this; it was just an act to attempt to get what I want from my service) they still are sticking to their 90 days between unlock request story.

So my offer still stands, with an ammendment:

Can anyone unlock my T-Mobile Z10 for $20? Please? Thank you.

~STV
    05-31-13 06:59 AM
    I just phoned into T-Mobile USA and explained why I'm wanting my second Z10 unlocked (to access other carrier pushed update) and after a brief check the rep assured me T-Mobile won't prosecute and are giving me permission.

There, so that should help knock down at least some of the "legality dollars" of the cost. So, any reasonable unlockers on today? Paying $35 for this is ridiculous.

Thank you so much.

~STV
    05-31-13 08:56 AM
    There is a site $3 instant unlock....I've used them for a while now no complaints!

Just saw the prices for the Z and Q...they're high as well! Sorry about that, disregard the link, I haven't used a code for the Q and Z, but I think they MIGHT be working on doing it free as well down the road.
    Last edited by naviwilliams; 06-01-13 at 06:05 PM. Reason: link removed, as per policy
    06-01-13 02:25 PM
    ScwB hit nail on the head with the explanation.

Unfortunately there are different phones and different networks that requiring different methods of phone unlocking. This means prices can and do vary based on the phone or/and the network it is locked to.

The launch of the Z10 was kind of the end of the good times for BB unlocking. Prior to that, all BlackBerry unlock codes could be found using the same method and were cheap. Now however, everything has changed and prices are varying wildly based on the locked network. Hopefully in times, as new information is gained, these unlock codes will become cheaper but at the moment that is only speculation.

All the best finding a price that you'd prefer to pay. Unless someone is willing to make a lose supplying it for you, I'm not sure you'll get one anytime soon.
    06-05-13 07:54 AM
    ScwB hit nail on the head with the explanation.

Unfortunately there are different phones and different networks that requiring different methods of phone unlocking. This means prices can and do vary based on the phone or/and the network it is locked to.

The launch of the Z10 was kind of the end of the good times for BB unlocking. Prior to that, all BlackBerry unlock codes could be found using the same method and were cheap. Now however, everything has changed and prices are varying wildly based on the locked network. Hopefully in times, as new information is gained, these unlock codes will become cheaper but at the moment that is only speculation.

All the best finding a price that you'd prefer to pay. Unless someone is willing to make a lose supplying it for you, I'm not sure you'll get one anytime soon.
    Yeah, my question is just how much of a profit are they generally making?

~STV
    06-08-13 11:14 AM
    Greetings,

I have looked up several recently released, high end/premium smartphones that compete with the Z10 and Q10.

The iPhone 5 unlocks go for at most $5. The Note 2 goes for about the same. The HTC One goes for about $10.

I will pay any legitimate unlocker $11 to unlock my T-Mobile USA Z10. Payment through PayPal.

Unless there's something that I am completely and utterly ignorant to, I cannot for the life of me understand why BlackBerry 10 unlock codes are still in the$20-$30 range. The price should have dropped when BlackBerry 10 platform was made available in all markets. It hasn't.

Please help a fellow out.

EDIT: $75 for CrackBerry Unlocking...?! Is the bloody phone included for that price? That borders on morally wrong. I hope members here try their carrier first. T-Mobile unlocked my first Z10 FREE. Only reason I need one now is for my second Z10 and they have a 90 day wait policy.

~STV
    If you can afford to buy a z10 or be in contract for the POS of a device that it is you can afford to dump more money to unlock it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-08-13 11:30 AM
    If you can afford to buy a z10 or be in contract for the POS of a device that it is you can afford to dump more money to unlock it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Lol

~STV
    06-08-13 11:40 AM
    A lot of vendors out there who offer Z10 codes. The prices are higher then older Blackberry models and that's because we pay more for these codes. Other option as mentioned above is to call your carrier and try to get them to give you the code for free. Good Luck!
    06-08-13 08:39 PM
    now on ebay for $8 for the At&t z10
    06-22-13 07:25 PM