Hi All,
    in the UK many people are selling 'Carrier Branded' phones that they have 'unlocked'. Surely these phones will remain on contract, and anybody buying one would find it either 'barred' or restricted in some way. I cannot see these major carroers allowing you to get a phone cheaply and then having you sell it on. Any advice would be welcome.
    Ron UK
    01-23-10 12:08 PM
    Biggest concern I can think of is if the seller had to setting anything up with their provider and if they know how to remove the PIN and IMEI number off their provider's website prior to shipping it to you. If they do then your device should be ok to connect to anyone else's BIS servers.
    01-23-10 01:15 PM
    As long as the phone is unlocked you will have no problem and even if it is not you can unlock it yourself for as little as $5.00. I currently have a storm "originally Verizon" running on T-mobile and a Curve 8900 running on simple mobile. As far as carriers allowing phones to be unlocked they could really care less about the device, its the service you sign a contract on not the device.
    01-23-10 01:39 PM
    Im using an unlocked Orange UK phone on o2 irl. No problems at all!
    01-23-10 02:28 PM
    Hi All,
    Many thanks for explaining what happens. I will go ahead and get one of these phones.
    Thanks Again.
    Ron, Wales.
    01-23-10 02:40 PM
    Hi All,
    Many thanks for explaining what happens. I will go ahead and get one of these phones.
    Thanks Again.
    Ron, Wales.
    Great! Let us know which one you get and if you need help setting it up with your provider.
    01-23-10 04:36 PM
    I got an unlocked Italian 3 phone, have had it on TIM in Italy as well as Claro in Peru. No problems moving and registering the BIS.
    01-24-10 01:03 PM
    I would love however to get rid of the 3 flash screen at the beginning when it reboots!
    01-24-10 01:05 PM
    Hi All,
    in the UK many people are selling 'Carrier Branded' phones that they have 'unlocked'. Surely these phones will remain on contract, and anybody buying one would find it either 'barred' or restricted in some way. I cannot see these major carroers allowing you to get a phone cheaply and then having you sell it on. Any advice would be welcome.
    Ron UK
    It should not affect the service in either way. As long as the PIN hasn't been registered on the users account you will be fine. If it is then they would have to release the PIN.
    01-24-10 02:50 PM
    I would love however to get rid of the 3 flash screen at the beginning when it reboots!
    You would need to debrand it.
    01-24-10 06:16 PM
    To be honest, I've found that debranding a Blackberry just isn't worth it. We don't personally offer the service, but working through the process is a headache lol
    01-25-10 09:57 AM
    Same here, but some customers don't mind if that gets rid of the splash screen
    01-25-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD