A few days back I bought a BB 9900 on Amazon, asked for expressed shipping (well, not asked, but I paid that extra dough to get it faster!), and today the doorbell rang. Chubby fed ex guy, THANK YOU!

Atleast that's what I thought...

So I unbox my new bb, insert simcard, and boom, **** hits the fan.

It says "Sim Card Error" on top of the screen, and when typing mepd, I get "unknown" for all the sim card details.

Anyone out there who can help a poor ******* who just paid $900 for a phone that's apperantly not working?

In advance, THANK YOU!
    08-22-11 01:04 PM
    I'm honestly going to donate money to the kind person who can help me out.
    08-22-11 01:18 PM
    Update:

Since I'm currently studying in the states, I also have a ATT micro-sim that I've been using for my iphone. When having the ATT sim card inserted, it doesn't say "Unknown" for all the sim details anymore, but says "Disabled", which I believe means that the phone is unlocked?

Sorry if I'm wrong.... But now I have no idea why it won't work!

I'm from Norway btw.

Thanks.
    08-22-11 01:29 PM
    go into: options-device-advanced - sim card and

hold down alt and type m e p e .. it should show up a list .. if it says disabled beside network then it is unlocked, if it shows active then it is locked.
    08-22-11 05:52 PM
    Hi, thanks for responding.

"Hold down ALT + m e p e"? That doesn't make anything happen...but if you meant "m e p d", I get a list where it says UNKNOWN for Sim, Network, Network Subset, Service Provider and Corporate...
    08-22-11 06:14 PM
    MEPD for the list, not MEPE. Disabled or inactive across all 5 rows means unlocked
    08-22-11 07:01 PM
    To me it sound like you did something wrong with the SIM card when you have inserted it into the SIM slot.

If the SIM card is OK and the device is locked (Have a SIM lock on it - locked to the brand carrier) so you will see that the Network security is active...
    You will have 5 security settings under the SIM card menu on your device, the second one after the SIM card is the "Network" - if you see it's "Active" it is locked and you need to unlock your Blackberry.

If you see it says "Disabled" it's unlocked.
    But for example if you will open that screen without a sim card in your Blackberry it will say "Unknown" so it sound to me that something is wrong with your SIM card.
    08-22-11 11:20 PM
    Thanks for replying guys.

UPDATE:

Sorry for not adding this information earlier, but the phone does not ask for my sim-card pin code upon turning on the phone. Isn't this a bit weird? Is this because the phone can't read the simcard, or can't it read the simcard because the simcard pin hasnt been typed?
    08-23-11 03:55 AM
    Figured it out! Got a new sim card and it worked perfectly! Really weird...seeing that the sim card is working fine in my old phone...
    08-23-11 07:33 AM
    Good to hear that now enjoy with your 9900...
    08-23-11 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD