ok, here's the story...a few weeks back, my Bold 9000 had a heck of a fall, and even though it was in an Otter Box, it was damaged...it looks mint, but will not turn on. here's my dilemma. i'm currently on AT&T, and i can't stand them. i'm getting ready to go back to Verizon. as much as i love my Bold, i am not going to pay to have it sent off and repaired unless i can unlock it and use it on Verizon. now, i know they are two different types of carriers...but i also know the Verizon world phones use SIM cards. so...can it be done? can i have the Bold unlocked and use it on Verizon...? if not, anyone wanna buy a Bold...and Otter Box...lol?
    04-09-10 08:11 PM
    The SIM cards in VZW world phones are designed for use internationally on GSM networks. There is no use for a SIM card on VZW, since they are a CDMA carrier.

A GSM device will not work on VZW or Sprint. You will need to purchase a VZW branded device for use on VZW's network.
    04-09-10 08:15 PM
    Verizon does not allow unlocked phones from any carrier on their network.
    04-09-10 08:21 PM
    Verizon does not allow unlocked phones from any carrier on their network.
    Technically, unlocked phones cannot be used on any CDMA carrier's network. Only phones with SIM cards can be unlocked, and CDMA does not use SIM cards.

The process of enabling a CDMA phone on another CDMA network is called flashing. However, neither VZW nor Sprint will allow flashed devices from other carriers to be used on their networks. They have a database of the ESN's, so they know which devices are branded with their firmware.
    04-09-10 08:38 PM
    ok, here's the story...a few weeks back, my Bold 9000 had a heck of a fall, and even though it was in an Otter Box, it was damaged...it looks mint, but will not turn on. here's my dilemma. i'm currently on AT&T, and i can't stand them. i'm getting ready to go back to Verizon. as much as i love my Bold, i am not going to pay to have it sent off and repaired unless i can unlock it and use it on Verizon. now, i know they are two different types of carriers...but i also know the Verizon world phones use SIM cards. so...can it be done? can i have the Bold unlocked and use it on Verizon...? if not, anyone wanna buy a Bold...and Otter Box...lol?
    Their WORLD PHONES don't use SIM cards from their network. They use CDMA technology which doesn't use SIM cards. Your out of luck as the device you want to use won't function on their network.
    04-09-10 09:56 PM
    Technically, unlocked phones cannot be used on any CDMA carrier's network. Only phones with SIM cards can be unlocked, and CDMA does not use SIM cards..

Not true I unlocked/flashed my old 8330 VIA QPSTwith MetroPCS's PRL and sold it to someone with Metro it works just fine. Cricket allows flashed CDMA's as well. Not VZW and Sprint though.
    Last edited by fedge; 04-09-10 at 10:35 PM.
    04-09-10 10:31 PM
    Not true I flashed my old 8330 VIA QPSTwith MetroPCS's PRL and sold it to someone with Metro it works just fine. Cricket allows flashed CDMA's as well. Not VZW and Sprint though.
    lak611 is correct. Flashing & Unlocking TWO COMPLETELY different things.
    04-09-10 10:35 PM
    Unfortunately that won't happen You can't use your Bold on Verizon.

How much are you looking to get for your Bold?
    04-09-10 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD