Hi Guys,

I just got a new Bold (YAY!) and was wondering if there are any free unlock services that you guys know of? Sorry im new to the scene so please help me out

Also, what is the Best way to debrand the OS from Rogers?

Also, is upgrading to the v5 OS/Firmware recommended by you guys? I think its not official yet?

Thanks
    04-11-09 01:37 PM
    How long have you been using BB's?

Read the quote in my sig.
    04-11-09 01:40 PM
    A few days... and that quote is scary :| lol.
    04-11-09 01:42 PM
    search. theres an unlocking/unbranding thread thats always being bumped to the first or second page.
    04-11-09 01:57 PM
    A few days... and that quote is scary :| lol.
    You should be. Here's my advice.

Unlocking is perfectly safe. Unless you have an immediate need, wait for specials. Sometimes you can get a free promotional unlock, or at least a discount to make it super cheap.

If you want to debrand to remove Rogers from the splash screen, just stop there. One nice thing about Rogers is you can switch between 2G and 3G. That's the biggest reason to unlock here in the states. You can permanently brick the phone doing the unbranding if it goes bad.

Unless you are ready to give up some functionality and are pretty good with RIM operating systems, I would not suggest upgrading "for the heck of it". Your OS is fine, and you can upgrade later. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade, but your phone is not a piece of garbage with current OS.

These are not areas for someone with 3 days of experience. Now, if you are determined to do these things, read a lot of threads about them and get familiar with the processes, you're gonna need them.
    04-11-09 02:06 PM
    You should be. Here's my advice.

Unlocking is perfectly safe. Unless you have an immediate need, wait for specials. Sometimes you can get a free promotional unlock, or at least a discount to make it super cheap.

If you want to debrand to remove Rogers from the splash screen, just stop there. One nice thing about Rogers is you can switch between 2G and 3G. That's the biggest reason to unlock here in the states. You can permanently brick the phone doing the unbranding if it goes bad.

Unless you are ready to give up some functionality and are pretty good with RIM operating systems, I would not suggest upgrading "for the heck of it". Your OS is fine, and you can upgrade later. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade, but your phone is not a piece of garbage with current OS.

These are not areas for someone with 3 days of experience. Now, if you are determined to do these things, read a lot of threads about them and get familiar with the processes, you're gonna need them.
    Really appreciate the advice! I guess I will wait out the unlock and OS 5 for now

One question, to de-brand like you said just for the splash screen and stuff what is the best tool/thread for this?

Thanks.
    04-11-09 02:16 PM
    04-11-09 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD