Hi All, first time poster here, and needed some quick answers to easy questions. I have 7 BB Bold 9650's on a Verizon account that was unpaid for about a year. I want to unlock these phones so I can sell them. I would also like to use one for myself, on an ATT account. I understand that I would need an unlock code for each one, but before I buy them, I wanted to get more info. Here is some info on the phones.

1. When I type the MEPD I get a list that shows
    Sim: Disabled
    Network: Active
    Net Subset: Disabled
    Service Prov: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled

2. When I type MEP2 or put in my ATT sim it asks for an unlock code

From what I read these phones CAN be unlocked via a code, and there is no need to take it to a "shop" to unlock them via a USB cable. Also, they have the Verizon customized OS on them, is it possible to use the BB Desktop Manager and App loader to restore the factory OS on these via USB/PC ? I have seen tutorials on how to do it. Also, can I call ATT and tell them I have a Verizon BB that I want to use on their network, and have them give me the unlock for free? Any info will help... Thanks!
    Last edited by GrogCrafter; 01-02-12 at 09:32 AM.
    01-02-12 08:48 AM
    AT&T won't give you the unlock code for free. Or at all. They won't have the code.

Purchase unlock codes from an unlocking vendor. There are lots of them in the unlocking forum.

There's no need to worry about a "customized Verizon OS". Just wipe the devices. Be sure the Service Books are all deleted.

Be aware that if the devices were "on a Verizon account that was unpaid for about a year", they likely will not be able to be used on Verizon unless this is cleared. Be sure that if you sell them as "Verizon" devices you disclose this.

Also, just an FYI that you will not get 3G on AT&T with that device.
    01-02-12 10:23 AM
    SwitchBeach is correct. You will only recieve 2G EDGE on AT&T with the 9650. Many unlockers here to service you.

You will be able reflash any 9560 OS from any carrier as well.
    01-02-12 11:16 AM
    Thanks for the info guys, I purchased an unlock code, unlocked the phone, I used BBSAK to wipe the device and I got the latest 9650 OS from the links provided on the forums here. I reloaded the OS and put my ATT sim in it. When the phone starts up, I still get a Verizon splash screen. With my ATT sim in the phone, when I make a call I get a Verizon operator saying they will transfer my call to an external operator, where I can use a credit card to make a call. I thought by wiping and reloading would remove Verizon, but they are still there!
    01-02-12 12:19 PM
    You cannot get rid of the Verizon splash screen. It is hardcoded into the device. It isn't affected by the device OS. It cannot be "wiped".

Make sure that the device is on GSM/Global and not 1XEV. Also, be aware that when you put your AT&T SIM card into the device and it is active, AT&T will automatically add the data plan.
    01-02-12 02:35 PM
    As switchbeach explained, you will need to go to mobile connections - mobile network options and switch it to 2G and GSM
    01-02-12 03:15 PM
    All is good guys, thanks for the help. I have one other question. Whenever I dial a number, I see on the top right of the screen "My Number: 917-xxx-xxxx" That is the phones old number when it was on the Verizon network. I have my ATT sim in the phone, and if I go into advanced settings, I see my normal 201-xxx-xxx number. When I make a call, the caller ID on their phone shows my 201 number. Where is the setting to change this old 917-xxx-xxx number? I thought all the old settings would have been deleted when I reloaded the OS.
    Last edited by GrogCrafter; 01-04-12 at 11:16 AM.
    01-04-12 11:12 AM
    Type ##000000 from the homescreen and press send.

Edit the Mobile Directory # to your phone #.
    Press Menu and select Save.
    Your device will reboot and this should change it.
    01-04-12 11:19 AM
    Yes, on CDMA device you will also need to change the old phone number that was used with the CDMA carrier.

Veriozn devices are not locked with MSL codes and you can dial ##000000 to edit the CDMA setting on your unlocked Blackberry device.
    01-04-12 01:29 PM
    you guys are the best! Everything is working great now, and even tho the phone is semi crippled, it was free, and it replaced the Nokia 2330 Ive had for the last 7 years! Thanks again for all the help!
    01-04-12 03:00 PM
    Your welcome!
    01-04-12 05:41 PM