Well currently I'm an iPhone user but am definitely keen on switching over to a Blackberry. I'm from India and the Blackberry 8520 is only being offered on Airtel (i.e. it's locked with that particular carrier) and not on Vodafone.

I am looking at getting an unlocked version and maybe then subscribing to a blackberry plan available on Vodafone. However I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages of doing that.

For example I know with the iPhone if it is "doctored" then-
    -the warranty goes
    -you can't update it to the latest version until a separate doctored installation is available or
    -use the App store etc.

Does an unlocked blackberry also have the same disadvantages. Moreover I know that once I get my my blackberry plan activated, I'm given a direct blackberry services no. to call and ask them to start my services etc. (though I maybe wrong here). So does it at all matter to blackberry if my phone is unlocked or not.

Basically at the end of the day can I use my blackberry the "exact" same way as someone else does on the network in which the phone is locked except ofcourse the data plan that they use?

Thanks for all the help... Very keen on becoming another crackberry!!
    08-06-09 02:49 AM
    I hope you choose the BB side. In other news, unlocking a BB shouldn't void the warranty. I could be wrong, but I believe its safe to unlock any Berry and use it on any network.
    08-06-09 03:01 AM
    Unlocking a BlackBerry is very different from "jailbreaking" an iPhone.

Unlocking merely allows the device to be used on another carrier. It will not void the warranty. It will not affect the operation of the device.
    08-06-09 06:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD