01-14-10 09:17 PM
1,410 ... 3536373839 ...
tools
    i've practically read through the whole forum but it seemed to cause more confusion than anything. everybody seems to say something different.

ok. i have an 8320 that i was using with tmo. but now i have some cheesy phone with att so i want to unlock my curve and use it with att.

i've read you can call the provider and get a code. which provider would i call the one im on now, or the one i had originally (whose phone im trying to unlock)?

also in the process of unlocking would i leave the old tmo sim card in the phone which i no longer use or would i take it out and put the new att sim card before unlocking it?
    You would call TMobile, since they are the carrier the blackberry is branded to. Ask for a SIM Unlock Code.

You can take the old TMobile sim out of the blackberry and unlock it with no sim in it. Some blackberries require a sim to be in while unlocking, but the 8320 is one where you can just have it booted up with no sim and put in an unlock code.

After you request an unlock code from TMobile, they will email the code and instructions on how to unlock it to you.
    12-26-08 10:03 PM
    i've practically read through the whole forum but it seemed to cause more confusion than anything. everybody seems to say something different.

ok. i have an 8320 that i was using with tmo. but now i have some cheesy phone with att so i want to unlock my curve and use it with att.

i've read you can call the provider and get a code. which provider would i call the one im on now, or the one i had originally (whose phone im trying to unlock)?

also in the process of unlocking would i leave the old tmo sim card in the phone which i no longer use or would i take it out and put the new att sim card before unlocking it?
    Your reading the wrong forum. The one at the bottom of my sign spells it out.
    12-26-08 10:39 PM
    what about verizon please
    12-27-08 03:30 PM
    what about verizon please
    You cannot unlock phones from Verizon, they are CDMA. Unlocking is for GSM phones only.

You can hack a CDMA phone to work on another CDMA network, but odds are if you don't know what you are doing you will destroy the phone in your attempt.

Unlocking GSM phones is completely safe and very easy.
    12-28-08 04:48 PM
    This may sound stupid and I apologize in advance I just switched from Verizon (CDMA) to AT&T (GSM) and I am just wondering what's the advantage of unlocking your phone besides that you can use your phone for another GSM carrier such as T-mobile?
    12-30-08 12:03 AM
    This may sound stupid and I apologize in advance I just switched from Verizon (CDMA) to AT&T (GSM) and I am just wondering what's the advantage of unlocking your phone besides that you can use your phone for another GSM carrier such as T-mobile?
    Using it on another GSM carrier is the advantage. If you sell the phone, you can get more for it since your buyer base is larger, as opposed to only selling to people of a specific carrier.

Also, if you are traveling abroad, you can purchase a prepaid SIM for the local carrier and avoid massive overseas roaming charges.
    12-30-08 06:24 PM
    I just called my carrier and they were happy to send me the code (or at least pretended to be happy ;-D). And I was about to spend $20 to get the code...I guess some carriers really good :-D I recommend everyone at least call and ask. They had me press *#6# and got the IMEI number and they did the rest (to get the code).
    12-30-08 11:22 PM
    Excellent, shows that there is no need to pay anyone.
    12-31-08 05:10 PM
    i am an att customer with an 8310.

i just called them and said "my phone upgrade date is this saturday (it is) and i want to get a bold (perhaps not true) and i want to sell my 8310 to a tmo customer so i can pay for my new att bold - will you give me the unlock code so i can sell it and but one of your great new blackberrys....."

they gave me the unlock code and the steps to do it most cheerfully.

unlocking it worked perfect the first time.

fwiw, they said to turn the radio off prior to entering the sim card menu.

approached correctly with your carrier, there should be no need to pay for the code.

ps - did this with a very new OS too - 4.5.0.124
    12-31-08 05:22 PM
    I, too, have an 8310 with AT&T. Called and got an e-mail with code and instructions w/in 2 hours. Key was me asking for unlock to utilize phone overseas.

Happy New Year !
    12-31-08 06:49 PM
    I, too, have an 8310 with AT&T. Called and got an e-mail with code and instructions w/in 2 hours. Key was me asking for unlock to utilize phone overseas.

Happy New Year !
    i couldn't use that angle as i have the blackberry international plan enabled all the time.....
    12-31-08 07:05 PM
    I have a AT&T blackberry 8310, and im having trouble bringing up the MEP menu. i followed the steps on the threads but when i press MEP ALT 2 the menu dont seem to pop up. ive tried everything from using a AT&T sim to not using any at all, to even using a tmobile sim. what i dont understand is that according to the threads if the network ses disabled, isint it suppose to be unlocked already, and if it is why cant i use my tmobile sim on this phone??? plz help!!!!!
    01-05-09 04:05 PM
    Hello everyone. I recently moved to Honduras, and T-Mobile refuses to give me the unlock code for my Curve. Can anyone tell me how to unlock it or possibly point me in the right direction? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    01-06-09 02:28 PM
    I followed your unlock code instructions with my blackberry curve 8320 step by step and it didn't work for me. What am i doing wrong, please help me unlock this phone.
    01-08-09 01:43 AM
    If I unlock the BB, will it let me use free internet?? and also still be able to use the att pre-paid service??
    01-11-09 06:56 PM
    If I unlock the BB, will it let me use free internet?? and also still be able to use the att pre-paid service??
    Yes, either locked or unlocked you can use the net free, I am on my 8320.

You definitely need to read these forums.
    01-11-09 08:32 PM
    Yes, either locked or unlocked you can use the net free, I am on my 8320.

You definitely need to read these forums.

are you serious? you can?!
    thanks, but I thought you had to pay for a data plan to use the internet??
    I'm sorry for the trouble and taking your time, but your help is appreciated tremendously!
    01-11-09 10:31 PM
    are you serious? you can?!
    thanks, but I thought you had to pay for a data plan to use the internet??
    I'm sorry for the trouble and taking your time, but your help is appreciated tremendously!
    Not on the 8320 with wifi.

The 8310 Does not have built in wifi, thus you will need a plan.
    01-11-09 11:22 PM
    OK this might be a stupid question for all the crack addicts here...but what is the benefit of "unlocking" the phone?
    01-12-09 01:05 PM
    OK this might be a stupid question for all the crack addicts here...but what is the benefit of "unlocking" the phone?
    It lets you use your phone on any carrier that will support it. Example, use any GSM device on any other GSM carrier and so on.
    01-14-09 05:56 PM
    How do you unlock the phone with this error. Tried taking battery out. Need help?
    01-17-09 10:58 PM
    How do you unlock the phone with this error. Tried taking battery out. Need help?
    You need to fix that error first.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ighlight=nuked
    01-17-09 11:36 PM
    Thanks I will try it.
    01-17-09 11:44 PM
    thanks big help
    01-18-09 04:43 PM
    can you unlock a sprint phone if it does not have a sim card?? is it just the phones with sim cards?
    01-18-09 05:25 PM
1,410 ... 3536373839 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD