01-14-10 09:17 PM
1,410 ... 3435363738 ...
tools
    Im not 100% sure, but can you unlock a GSM for CDMA use? since CDMA dont have sim cards?

The 8330's are CDMA, aren't Alltell GSM?
    12-19-08 05:19 PM
    two different incompatible technologies.
    12-19-08 05:37 PM
    So, Im right? You cant..?
    12-19-08 05:39 PM
    Right, you can't...
    12-19-08 05:41 PM
    Aha, gotcha, thanks
    12-19-08 05:46 PM
    The 8330's are CDMA, aren't Alltell GSM?
    Alltel is a CDMA network. Verizon (also CDMA) is in the process of buying out Alltel. Alltel and Verizon both carry the 8330.

Also, you cannot "unlock" a CDMA phone (8330). You can "hack" it if you are skilled enough, but not many people are, and the risks are tremendous that you will destroy a CDMA phone trying to release it to a carrier it is not branded to. The OP in this thread says he was able to hack his Verizon Storm to work with Alltel, but he does say if you try and mess it up it is a very expensive paper weight! http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/sto...lltel-d-118342

Unlocking is a GSM thing, so for the 83xx forum, that would be the 8300, 8310, and 8320. Unlocking is also very safe, and easy.
    Last edited by SirDes; 12-19-08 at 06:39 PM.
    12-19-08 06:35 PM
    Ahhh, I was confusing alltell with AT&T. thanks
    12-19-08 06:39 PM
    Yes, and FREE!

Alltel is a CDMA network. Verizon (also CDMA) is in the process of buying out Alltel. Alltel and Verizon both carry the 8330.

Also, you cannot "unlock" a CDMA phone (8330). You can "hack" it if you are skilled enough, but not many people are, and the risks are tremendous that you will destroy a CDMA phone trying to release it to a carrier it is not branded to. The OP in this thread says he was able to hack his Verizon Storm to work with Alltel, but he does say if you try and mess it up it is a very expensive paper weight! http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/sto...lltel-d-118342

Unlocking is a GSM thing, so for the 83xx forum, that would be the 8300, 8310, and 8320. Unlocking is also very safe, and easy.
    12-19-08 06:45 PM
    Ahhh, I was confusing alltell with AT&T. thanks
    You are quite welcome! :-D
    12-19-08 07:24 PM
    i got a doozy for you guys...verizon doesnt use sim cards...my boyfriend just gave me a curve that he used with att cause he got a newer phone...i did the unlock code but how am i gonna switch it over to verizon without a sim card am i wrong or is it impossible? i know you guys r geniuses so help me out! i am loving the phone and would hate to give it up...
    12-21-08 08:22 AM
    oh yeah you can also respond to me at my email...mizzelite@yahoo.com...just make sure to put something in the subject so i know its from here thanks!
    12-21-08 08:25 AM
    i got a doozy for you guys...verizon doesnt use sim cards...my boyfriend just gave me a curve that he used with att cause he got a newer phone...i did the unlock code but how am i gonna switch it over to verizon without a sim card am i wrong or is it impossible? i know you guys r geniuses so help me out! i am loving the phone and would hate to give it up...
    Not going to happen. Sorry.
    12-21-08 08:26 AM
    oh yeah you can also respond to me at my email...mizzelite@yahoo.com...just make sure to put something in the subject so i know its from here thanks!
    el el el,

Verizon uses CDMA an incompatible tech. than GSM,which is the phone you are now the proud owner of.

Either use ATT,T-mo, or another GSM provider or lose the phone.

I use T-mo prepaid and average $6.00 a month.
    12-21-08 09:10 AM
    First of all....GREAT SITE. Lots of useful information. I read this thread fully before posting my question...unlike many others

Background: Got a BB Curve from a friend who was incarcerated. Tried to get the unlock code from AT&T but they would not give it to me with the original owners SSN. I decided to use GSM PhoneSource, $14.95 and less than 24 hours later got the code and was able to unlock phone. If you follow instructions, things have a tendency of working out.

Question: Browser Icon is no longer available. I currently do not have a data package with my carrier. Is this why? Once I subscribe to a package will the icon appear automatically or will I have to do something to get it?

**** Update----I found some info in the Storm threads that I believe has answered my questions. I'm pretty sure it will also apply to the Curve. First thing I've got to start with is getting a data plan *****

Thanx for the upcoming info.

I found the Browser Icon. I had to hit the menu button and the switch apps to find it. Got a data plan from my carrier but it appears there's no way for me to get the internet. I even tried downloading Opera Mini but no go My carrier does not support BB so I guess I'll have to wait until the Unicel / VRZ merger is complete sometimes early next year.
    12-21-08 08:32 PM
    Yeh, if your carrier doesnt have a BB data plan, you are pretty much SOL..
    12-21-08 08:39 PM
    Hey all, my friend has a Curve through AT&T and wants to switch to Sprint. I’ve read the treads on how to un-lock the phone but I do have one question. Does she have to get a sim card through Sprint or can she use the card she already has?

Thanks in advance.
    12-24-08 10:59 AM
    She wont be able to do that, sprint is CDMA, doesnt use a sim, she can unlock a gsm to gsm, like AT&T to Tmo, but its two different types.
    12-24-08 11:29 AM
    She wont be able to do that, sprint is CDMA, doesnt use a sim, she can unlock a gsm to gsm, like AT&T to Tmo, but its two different types.
    I see, will this limit any services and also is there a link on how to switch the gsm?

Thanks for all your help.
    12-24-08 11:54 AM
    I see, will this limit any services and also is there a link on how to switch the gsm?

Thanks for all your help.
    Limit any services? I dont understand....

You cant *switch* to gsm.
    12-24-08 11:56 AM
    I am confused as well...
    12-24-08 12:03 PM
    I am confused as well...
    No, It's prob me that's confused. I thought sometimes when you switch over to a diff carrier somethings wireless, data etc... doesn't work.

Sorry I'm just a newbie.
    12-24-08 02:10 PM
    No, It's prob me that's confused. I thought sometimes when you switch over to a diff carrier somethings wireless, data etc... doesn't work.

Sorry I'm just a newbie.
    Tell her to do what I do, prepaid and no plan.

HOWEVER if you must have a plan get the $25 unlimited plan that lasts 32 days,
    all the voice,text, and data you can use for 32 days.

Me,I just get my free wifi at home and all the hotspots, and pp for voice.

At $6.00 average a month,its tough to beat!
    12-25-08 06:31 PM
    Good show rachel.
    12-25-08 06:32 PM
    i've practically read through the whole forum but it seemed to cause more confusion than anything. everybody seems to say something different.

ok. i have an 8320 that i was using with tmo. but now i have some cheesy phone with att so i want to unlock my curve and use it with att.

i've read you can call the provider and get a code. which provider would i call the one im on now, or the one i had originally (whose phone im trying to unlock)?

also in the process of unlocking would i leave the old tmo sim card in the phone which i no longer use or would i take it out and put the new att sim card before unlocking it?
    12-26-08 09:05 PM
    Hey folks, new to this site, but have gotten lotsa helpful info so far...

Need a little help unlocking a T-mo 8320 ... Called and spoke with a very nice csr about getting a code as I found this phone here in vancouver, bc, canada ... and want to use it with my Rogers SIM card ... seemed like see would have been willing to help, but said I needed to be a T-mo customer for her to be able to submit a rquest for a code ( or some such ) ...She then asked if I knew anyone with t-mo which i dont...

So now I am kinda stuck...

Hope this makes sense, but, any ideas?

Tanks!
    12-26-08 10:01 PM
1,410 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD