01-14-10 09:17 PM
1,410 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Enjoy your curve mark.
    02-22-08 12:53 PM
    It's quite alright for people to charge to unlock devices. Carriers will unlock for free, BUT, there are a lot of rules to follow. Some people like me, don't want to follow said rules, or wait to be with a particular carrier for X period before I can get my 'free unlock' code.

Now, if this thread gets of out hand, i.e. more than it presently seems to be going, I'll close it. You've been warned!
    02-22-08 06:48 PM
    I posted this on another thread and am posting it here too, as naviwilliams said, this thread is getting out of hand and it needs some cleaning up...

You should never be receiving unsolicited Private Messages from other Members in the forums looking to sell their services or products to you for their personal gain - be it unlocking BBs or otherwise.

When it comes to posting in the public forums, the rule of thumb is you can't post for your own personal gain. It's all stated in the sites Posting Rules and Guidelines. If someone recommends a product/service and they are not tied to it/don't make anything from it, it's seen as a helpful service. If someone pumps up their products, it's really trying to take advantage of free advertising and the community.

If you ever find this is the case, you should let a moderator or myself know so we can address it. In the case of receiving an unsolicited Private Message, you should provide that to the moderator as proof of ad spam. Zero tolerance for spam in the forums.

As for the business of Unlocking Phones, naviwilliams again basically answered it. Yes you can do it for free, but there are others who will choose to pay for the service for various reasons (as in wanting the code within 24 hours). That doesn't make the people selling codes bad in my opinion, which you can agree or disagree with. After all - you can drink water for free, but people buy bottled water all the time. They're charging for a convenience.

But push come to shove, and my reason for posting here right now, is that no matter what, you should never have someone on CrackBerry.com approaching you in the forums unsolicited (Private Message of via Forum Email) to sell you a good or service.
    02-22-08 11:33 PM
    When I requested my unlock code from At&t, I received it within 20 minutes. My friend requested from T-Mo, he received it within 24 hrs...free.

Bottled water tastes better though,
    02-23-08 11:31 AM
    I'm not a carrier of ATT but i got the phone from my brother and i was wondering will thay still send me the Unlock code so i can use it with my T-Mobile svs????!!!!!
    02-24-08 04:36 AM
    I'm not a carrier of ATT but i got the phone from my brother and i was wondering will thay still send me the Unlock code so i can use it with my T-Mobile svs????!!!!!
    That is exactly what I did. Except I'm using a pp t-mobile sim.

I had to wait a week though.

Yes, they will!
    02-24-08 08:46 AM
    Hi What code are you talking about - where do I get the Code from?
    02-25-08 03:04 AM
    ups, can't I just download a software from the Internet which generates me the Unclock code?
    02-25-08 03:05 AM
    Ok guys,

I got the unlock code for my ATT Curve from gsmphonesource and followed the unlocking instructions. I did this before coming here to Tokyo on business.
    Unfortunately the phone does not work. It looks for a network but finds nothing. I have taken the sim card off and still nothing.
    Is there a way for me to confirm that I did indeed unlock the phone?

thanks
    02-25-08 04:40 AM
    ups, can't I just download a software from the Internet which generates me the Unclock code?
    I've seen them,but not for the BB.
    02-25-08 06:37 AM
    Ok guys,

I got the unlock code for my ATT Curve from gsmphonesource and followed the unlocking instructions. I did this before coming here to Tokyo on business.
    Unfortunately the phone does not work. It looks for a network but finds nothing. I have taken the sim card off and still nothing.
    Is there a way for me to confirm that I did indeed unlock the phone?

thanks
    Settings > Advanced Options > SIM Card
    1. type mepd
    2. type mep, then hit the alt button and type 2

If network says active, then the phone is still locked. If it says disabled or inactive, then it unlocked. If it says disabled, you may need to perform a soft or hard reset to complete the unlock.
    02-25-08 12:32 PM
    Quick, dumb question:

If I get a Blackberry 8310 and unlock it, can I use it with a non-GSM carrier such as Alltel or Verizon, or do you have to use a SIM card to get this phone to work?
    02-26-08 02:10 AM
    Quick, dumb question:

If I get a Blackberry 8310 and unlock it, can I use it with a non-GSM carrier such as Alltel or Verizon, or do you have to use a SIM card to get this phone to work?
    Absolutely NOT.

Alltel and Verizon are CDMA carriers and their networks are not compatible with GSM phones.

Sorry.
    02-26-08 02:14 AM
    Quick, dumb question:

Not yet...Verizon is talking about opening their network to GSM devices. Don't know how, but they are seriously going that direction.
    02-26-08 12:56 PM
    i am also trying to unlock my curve, a collegue who will remain nameless, gave me this long series of numbers and claimed that it was the unlock code for my 8310. he told me to just punch it in on the number pad and that's it. if you had not guessed by now, i am still locked to at&t (or cingular, whoever they are)! can someone help me please, after messing around i found out i could go through the menu but that number was too long to fit for the PUK, now i am locked out and bb is now asking for PUK2#. any help would be greatly appreciated!

also, that is true about verizon, actually the 8830 world edition is truly a world phone, it is both GSM and CDMA, apparently when you leave the country, you can get a different chip (e.g. Vodafone, or DigiCell) and use it on that country's network, will you still get charged? never really asked that question to the sales person.
    Last edited by mynameismatrix; 02-26-08 at 06:15 PM. Reason: just saw the thread, divorced verizon this past Dec. to get the Curve.
    02-26-08 04:08 PM
    Hopefully you didn't try that code too many times,bc after 10 I believe you render the phone useless.
    ATT will give you the code if you ask.

As for using an unlocked phone in another country,just buy a sim at the local tobacco shop and you can use that network, free of the extortionate charges of american phone services.
    02-26-08 07:56 PM
    actually, only for ENABLE SECURITY in the sim card menu, that i did too many times. i still have 7 more attempts to "unblock SIM Card PIN2", i just read somewhere that i would have to disable SIM card security. though i had changed the PIN2 number and when i entered the new one (after 3 attempts) it tells me the sim i blocked! what the #*!k!

also, i had already tried to use a Fido chip (Canadian cellphone co.) from my wife's phone and it did not work.
    Last edited by mynameismatrix; 02-27-08 at 03:43 PM.
    02-27-08 03:31 PM
    Hi
    I am wondering if anyone has any experience with unlocking a BB 8320 on Orange in the UK.

I bought the handset from an independant retailer and am not tied into any contract with Orange with the handset (only with a Samsung D900 I have). I phoned up Orange to get the unlock code explaining to them that I bought the handset at full retail price. They told me that they would email me the code and that there would be a 20 charge for this on my next bill. I explained that I had not bought this in a contract with them and they told me that they would speak to their supervisor and get back to me in an hour (this was 4 hours ago).

Does anyone know of the legal side of this ?.
    Do they have to provide me with the unlock code free because I have bought the handset independantly and am not tied into a contract with them (for the BB handset that is) ?.

Thanks
    Jason
    02-29-08 07:53 AM
    when I click the Sim Card under advanced options i see ID: and phone number.. Do i just add that MEPD then MEP2 code in place of my ID? I have an ATT phone and ATT sim card.
    02-29-08 09:28 AM
    when I click the Sim Card under advanced options i see ID: and phone number.. Do i just add that MEPD then MEP2 code in place of my ID? I have an ATT phone and ATT sim card.
    Just type the letters/number whenin the menu...there is no box to enter them into. Just type away.
    02-29-08 10:56 AM
    I tried this and no luck!

I tried this with no luck! I Have ATT as my carrier...I went to OPTIONS THEN TO ADVANCE OPTIONS THEN TO SIM CARD THERES NO WAY TO TYPE IN ANYTHING! PLEASE HELP
    03-01-08 06:41 PM

I tried this with no luck! I Have ATT as my carrier...I went to OPTIONS THEN TO ADVANCE OPTIONS THEN TO SIM CARD THERES NO WAY TO TYPE IN ANYTHING! PLEASE HELP
    Did you get the code from them in an email?

If so instructions are there.
    03-01-08 07:18 PM
    So all i need to do is follow the instructions in the second post and that is it? or do i need an unlock code from ATT?
    03-03-08 10:06 AM
    So all i need to do is follow the instructions in the second post and that is it? or do i need an unlock code from ATT?
    actually if you set up a way you can check your account on att.com (wireless side) you can just look up the code from there. i too need help with unlocking my curve but no one wants to help me
    03-03-08 12:44 PM

You won't see any letters pop up on the screen in the SIM menu. Just start typing mepd...you will then see a menu pop up. Then just start typing mep, then hit alt and type 2. Then your "Enter MEP Code" box will appear.
    03-03-08 03:26 PM
1,410 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD