Hi I have a problem with my blackberry torch 9800. I wish to unlock it but unsure whether it already unlocked ( Got it from sister). When i click mobile network options, it list Rogers Wireless as a mobile network, but the problem is the phone is Telus. Also when displaying the MEPD option on simcard, it shows "Network Disabled" which leads me to believe it is unlocked but it doesnt accept non-native sim card. It ask me to input the unlock code. Can anyone help me with this problem
    02-27-11 12:52 AM
    Unlocked phone

ID and phone number not shown.
    02-27-11 01:15 AM
    only service provider is listed as active when a sim card is not inserted.
    02-27-11 01:25 AM
    only service provider is listed as active when a sim card is not inserted.
    Then it is not unlocked. SIM, Network, Network Subset, and Service Provider all need to show disabled.

The screenshot I took is what appears when a SIM card is inserted, and the phone is on.
    02-27-11 01:29 AM
    Hi I have a problem with my blackberry torch 9800. I wish to unlock it but unsure whether it already unlocked ( Got it from sister). When i click mobile network options, it list Rogers Wireless as a mobile network, but the problem is the phone is Telus. Also when displaying the MEPD option on simcard, it shows "Network Disabled" which leads me to believe it is unlocked but it doesnt accept non-native sim card. It ask me to input the unlock code. Can anyone help me with this problem
    If it asks you to input an unlock code, it is not unlocked, as shown above in lak's post it must all be disabled in order for it to be unlocked. Telus locks their phones one of two ways:

Network requires MEP2 to unlock
    Service Provider requires MEP4 to unlock.

Highly recommend freethisberrydotcom or cellunlock if you need quick and reasonable price for an unlock code. They provide both MEP2 and MEP4 I believe as that is what I received from them in the past
    02-27-11 01:30 AM
    When i unlock it, is there anyway to remove the telus boot logo by possibly installing another firmware. Or is there a global or international?
    02-27-11 01:35 AM
    When i unlock it, is there anyway to remove the telus boot logo by possibly installing another firmware. Or is there a global or international?
    No. The carrier splash screen is part of the firmware when it leaves the factory and cannot be changed. It only appears for a few seconds anyway, so it is not really an issue.
    02-27-11 01:37 AM
    No there is no way to remove it without using illegal software. The process you are talking about is called debranding and even if done will void warranty and could possibly render your Torch a nice paperweight.

So don't risk it live with the logo on startup
    02-27-11 01:37 AM
    Alright thanks.
    02-27-11 01:39 AM
    * Unlocking will not VOID the warranty as well ...
    mssca likes this.
    02-27-11 08:02 AM
    lot of people have the assumption it voids the warranty or hurts the phone but considering the carrier's actually give out the code a lot they wouldn't do that if it hurts the phone
    02-27-11 01:18 PM
    SO true. Just sent out my unlocked Telus 9700 for screen replacement and they fixed it with no questions asked. It even had a leaked version of OS6 on it.
    mssca likes this.
    02-27-11 03:52 PM
    * Unlocking will not VOID the warranty as well ...
    lot of people have the assumption it voids the warranty or hurts the phone but considering the carrier's actually give out the code a lot they wouldn't do that if it hurts the phone
    SO true. Just sent out my unlocked Telus 9700 for screen replacement and they fixed it with no questions asked. It even had a leaked version of OS6 on it.
    Just so its clear when I said it will void the warranty I meant debranding will void the warranty not unlocking
    02-27-11 03:54 PM
    oh ha gotcha! my bad
    02-28-11 05:09 PM
    Right, debranding voids the warranty...one of the other reasons so few people do it. Not worth the payout
    02-28-11 10:20 PM
    yup, definitely not worth it..
    03-01-11 06:13 AM
    No there is no way to remove it without using illegal software. The process you are talking about is called debranding and even if done will void warranty and could possibly render your Torch a nice paperweight.

So don't risk it live with the logo on startup
    THIS IS NOT true in CANADA and US..... IT IS NOT ILLEGAL AND IT WILL NOT VOID THE WARRANTY!
    03-01-11 11:10 PM
    THIS IS NOT true in CANADA and US..... IT IS NOT ILLEGAL AND IT WILL NOT VOID THE WARRANTY!
    Just a heads up debranding does void warranty. Although you may not get caught but high risk you will end up killing your device and having a nice paperweight. It is illegal to debrand you phone in the US (federal law) and pretty sure in Canada as well. Unlocking doesn't void the warranty there is a difference in procedures.
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 03-01-11 at 11:21 PM.
    03-01-11 11:18 PM
    Just a heads up debranding does void warranty. Although you may not get caught but high risk you will end up killing your device and having a nice paperweight. It is illegal to debrand you phone in the US (federal law) and pretty sure in Canada as well. Unlocking doesn't void the warranty there is a difference in procedures.
    OOPS... sorry... I even just unlocked my Telus BB 9700. I thought someone said that unlocking is illegal. Unlocking is legal in Canada, I don't know about the debranding or how to even do it. Sorry.

For all of you who has questions about this, check this Wikipedia link: SIM lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-03-11 04:56 PM
    No Unlocking is not illegal at all..
    03-04-11 06:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD