ok guys here is my issue, i thought i 'd post it here maybe someone knows the answer
    i have a BlackBerry 8520 from Fido and i use it on the Fido network
    i do not have a data plan, and it seems that fido will not even let me connect to a WiFi connection without a data plan
    will unlocking the phone allow me to use WiFi?
    are there any other benefits of unlocking it?

anyone knows how to unlock it?
    if you have the code can you post it?
    04-12-10 11:43 AM
    The code that you're asking for is unique to your phone. You can place your order on our site and we can unlock it for you no problem.

The purpose of unlocking a phone is to allow you to use it on another network, as well as increase resale value and reduce roaming fees while in other countries. The problem you're having isn't related to unlocking your phone and personally I've never heard of Fido disabling Wifi but if they have, then what you're looking to do is debrand your phone which needs to be done in a store through the computer and can't be done remotely with a code like unlocking can.

Let us know if you need any help unlocking your phone
    04-12-10 12:28 PM
    ok guys here is my issue, i thought i 'd post it here maybe someone knows the answer
    i do not have a data plan, and it seems that fido will not even let me connect to a WiFi connection without a data plan

That is there requirements which you have to abide by. Unlocking a device only allows you to use it on other GSM networks.
    04-12-10 04:16 PM

There is no other way. You need a Blackberry Data Plan. Unlocking your Blackberry will only enable to use it with other providers such as Rogers, AT&T etc..
    04-12-10 10:57 PM
    is there a way to de-brand the phone?
    i don't see why i could not use my own internet connection at home or work without a data plan.
    04-13-10 01:45 AM
    is there a way to de-brand the phone?
    i don't see why i could not use my own internet connection at home or work without a data plan.
    Even debranding would not fix the problem. You should be able to browse the internet though even without a data plan. Did you make sure that the browser is set to Hotspot Browser?
    04-13-10 09:24 AM
    Even debranding would not fix the problem. You should be able to browse the internet though even without a data plan. Did you make sure that the browser is set to Hotspot Browser?
    I think it still requires the Wifi Service books. The carrier may still block those from being pushed.
    04-13-10 09:49 AM
    I think it still requires the Wifi Service books. The carrier may still block those from being pushed.
    I guess I forget how dirty Canadian carriers can get
    04-13-10 09:54 AM
    I guess I forget how dirty Canadian carriers can get
    Could be like the UK carriers and block your IMEI. LOL
    04-13-10 10:05 AM
    Could be like the UK carriers and block your IMEI. LOL
    Tell me about it! We're sitting on 450 Blackberrys 9700 from Voda UK which PINS are Suspended/Deactivated with them but are fine with RIM!
    04-13-10 02:15 PM
    Tell me about it! We're sitting on 450 Blackberrys 9700 from Voda UK which PINS are Suspended/Deactivated with them but are fine with RIM!
    Wow really?! Thats ridiculous! Hopefully you're looking into some type of work around

If not..I'll take a paper weight off of you! lol
    04-13-10 09:39 PM
    my imei code is 353906037016848
    05-03-10 09:53 AM
    Need to purchase one sorry or call your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 09:57 AM
    Any of us reliable unlockers can process an unlock code for you, but you will have to place your order on our site.

Also, I wouldn't publicly post your IMEI number. Its not completely unsafe..but not a great idea either
    05-03-10 08:50 PM
    my imei code is 353906037016848
    You can also win an unlock code in the many contest here on Crackberry.com
    05-03-10 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD