I have been pulling my hair out over the last week or so in trying to unlock 2 Blackberry 8830 World Edition Phones.

I have tried to read info from these phones via BB logger, and it gave trouble in the initial stages but now i have all the info for both phones....

before i submit such info to any of the blackberry unlocking sites... i have tried to bring up the menu for where you put in the unlock code.

when i go to OPTIONS/ADVANCED / SIM CARD

I type in common letters - mepd

a menu comes up showing PERSONALIZATION

SIM - UNKNOWN
    NETWORK - UNKNOWN
    NETWORK SUBSET - UNKNOWN
    SERVICES PROVIDER - UNKNOWN
    CORPORATE - UNKNOWN

after i type mepe i try to type in mep2 using the ALT key

no unlock box shows up....

when i send through for the unlock codes i will encounter the above problem.... i just want to make sure these phones can be unlocked before i spend money on requesting codes.

helppppp
    11-07-09 01:21 PM
    Do you have a SIM card inserted?
    11-07-09 02:16 PM
    i tryed with a sim card and with out, tryed wiping the phone 2.
    11-08-09 08:05 PM
    If you are wanting to unlock the 8830 to use in the US, you are probably wasting your time and money. The GSM radio in the 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies, not North American. If you are wanting to use it on a different CDMA carrier, success depends on your carrier. Contact them first to see if they will activate an unlocked 8830 on their CDMA network. Some will, some won't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 08:12 PM
    You've posted in "news & rumors" (no idea why). Try the unlocking section:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/
    11-08-09 08:46 PM
    I have been pulling my hair out over the last week or so in trying to unlock 2 Blackberry 8830 World Edition Phones.

I have tried to read info from these phones via BB logger, and it gave trouble in the initial stages but now i have all the info for both phones....

before i submit such info to any of the blackberry unlocking sites... i have tried to bring up the menu for where you put in the unlock code.

when i go to OPTIONS/ADVANCED / SIM CARD

I type in common letters - mepd

a menu comes up showing PERSONALIZATION

SIM - UNKNOWN
    NETWORK - UNKNOWN
    NETWORK SUBSET - UNKNOWN
    SERVICES PROVIDER - UNKNOWN
    CORPORATE - UNKNOWN

after i type mepe i try to type in mep2 using the ALT key

no unlock box shows up....

when i send through for the unlock codes i will encounter the above problem.... i just want to make sure these phones can be unlocked before i spend money on requesting codes.

helppppp
    They can be unlocked but the additional info only displays with a sim card present. Furthermore the phone will only work with overseas GSM carriers due to the limited frequency bands on the device.
    11-09-09 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD