Does anyone have the config settings that i need to use to have my unlocked Telus 9700 work on AT&T Go-phone with an internet plan? I can text, call and surf the net but no BES connectivity!

Thanks in advance!
    Dave
    04-07-11 09:06 PM
    try contacting customer service first..
    04-09-11 07:15 AM
    You can't get BIS (and probably not BES either) on a GoPhone.

You need a regular BlackBerry Data Plan from AT&T.
    04-09-11 08:07 AM
    Mama is right, ATT doesn't offer those services on a 'Go Phone' service option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 09:08 AM
    Does anyone have the config settings that i need to use to have my unlocked Telus 9700 work on AT&T Go-phone with an internet plan? I can text, call and surf the net but no BES connectivity!

Thanks in advance!
    Dave
    Yup, unfortunately it wouldn't work with them.T_Mobile does offer prepaid BIS service.
    04-09-11 12:07 PM
    Yup..was hoping to get BB data on a recent trip using ATT but no luck. Not really sure why very few North American providers still don't provide prepaid data...
    04-09-11 02:52 PM
    On a Go Phone you can buy data at ridiculous rates but not a BIS data plan. I have tried several times.

What you can buy is here Feature Packages - Wireless from AT&T. However please be careful since the data and voice minutes will go away after varyingly short periods.

I always buy the absolute minimum of everyting when I visit the US because, compared to Euiroipe your phone packages seem to cost twice the money they do in any single European country. This may be the key, of cource since the US is just a tiny bit bigger than any several European countries.

If you go this route, you will need to download Opera-Mini or Bot before you insert the Go Phone SIM card in your phone. You will also need to set up your APN settings from here Connecting your phone.

Obviously you won't be able to use the default browser, email, MMS, BBM of Google Maps and a number of other programs too.

Using net-happy apps like FaceBook is going to cost you a fortune so stay well clear.

In short, Go Phone data use really for emergency use only or, like me on vacation.
    04-09-11 03:10 PM
    I wish it was that easy but your out of luck! Go phones are a little messier than a normal gsm phones
    04-13-11 10:19 AM
    Thanks for all the info guys... too bad there isn't a decent solution.
    04-15-11 07:28 AM
    There is a decent solution.

Get a regular AT&T plan with BlackBerry Data.

Pretty simple.
    04-15-11 12:38 PM
    Yup, unfortunately it wouldn't work with them.T_Mobile does offer prepaid BIS service.
    I just tried to sign up for the prepaid BIS on T-mobile... no joy. They don't offer prepaid BIS, only way to get it is through 'Flex Pay'.
    04-16-11 06:37 AM
    There is a decent solution.

Get a regular AT&T plan with BlackBerry Data.

Pretty simple.
    Would be great if I wanted to pay monthly for a service I won't use when I am not in the US.
    Last edited by faster68; 04-16-11 at 06:43 AM.
    04-16-11 06:38 AM
    If you are just going to the US for a short period, then the solution I outlined above works well. I have used it for the last 3 years when I go over.

I also use my UK dataplan sparingly and this does not cost too much if you are sensible.

Here is a link that pretty much gives the current state of US pre-paid data available Prepaid Phone News: How to Get The Best Deal on Prepaid Mobile Data

There is no ideal solution in the US since the US is still hung up on long term monthly plans and their ad-hoc data purchases are way overpriced compared to what we are used to in Europe. They also seem to think that as soon as you have a smartphone, you have an unlimited budget.
    04-16-11 07:17 AM
    Would be great if I wanted to pay monthly for a service I won't use when I am not in the US.
    How would any of us know that that was one of your requirements??
    04-16-11 07:59 AM
    By magic .
    04-16-11 08:16 AM
    You didn't until I posted the comment. Thus my update to the thread.
    04-16-11 04:32 PM
    If you are just going to the US for a short period, then the solution I outlined above works well. I have used it for the last 3 years when I go over.

I also use my UK dataplan sparingly and this does not cost too much if you are sensible.

Here is a link that pretty much gives the current state of US pre-paid data available Prepaid Phone News: How to Get The Best Deal on Prepaid Mobile Data

There is no ideal solution in the US since the US is still hung up on long term monthly plans and their ad-hoc data purchases are way overpriced compared to what we are used to in Europe. They also seem to think that as soon as you have a smartphone, you have an unlimited budget.
    ...now, I did say in my first post that I wanted BIS for BBM, Messenger, etc.
    04-16-11 04:37 PM
    Flex Pay is not even offered with t-mobile any more.
    04-16-11 04:42 PM
    Well, I was just on the phone with AT&T and they said that they are working on getting BIS for the Go Phone... lets hope they do.
    04-16-11 05:09 PM
    Any ETA on the BIS for GO phones?
    04-17-11 08:31 PM
    Nope, but AT&T just announced the first Smart Phone for Go Phones, an LG Android unit so I think they may follow though with the idea. I setup a Google News alert to keep on top of it.
    04-18-11 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD