I have VZW 9530. If i plan to stick with VZW is there ANY benefit AT ALL to unlocking my phone? Or would it just be a waste of time? I DO have the SIM activated but thats it. Thanks!
    12-16-08 07:35 AM
    The benefit to unlocking the storm is if your planing to sell it. Then you would have a better chance selling it faster. Other then that, nothing much then unlock phone for carrier.
    12-16-08 07:58 AM
    thats it? no other benefit?

any negatives?
    12-16-08 03:05 PM
    no all it does is make it usable for other carriers. plain and simple.
    12-16-08 03:06 PM
    ok. thanks!
    12-16-08 03:10 PM
    If you want to use your storm outside of the US with out having to pay VZ huge bucks for international roaming, you can get a GSM SIM in that country and use it...that's a big benefit for international roamers.
    12-16-08 05:12 PM
    well i went ahead and unlocked n anyways lol. just in case.thanks
    12-16-08 05:20 PM
    If you want to use your storm outside of the US with out having to pay VZ huge bucks for international roaming, you can get a GSM SIM in that country and use it...that's a big benefit for international roamers.
    Well, if you're going to be relying on your Storm for email (especially corporate email on BES) while abroad, you really can't beat VZW's data roaming plan. It's $20 extra ($65 rather than $45 for domestic BES), and you get unlimited data. In some European countries (and elsewhere I'm sure), that roaming will be on 3G GSM networks. You can't beat that deal for data on a prepaid SIM anywhere. And you can turn the global plan on and off at will (with ATT it's a year commitment).

If you also want to use the Storm for voice you get screwed. But I think it's more practical to carry a small GSM dumb phone with a prepaid SIM for voice than to swap SIMs for every call on the Storm (because while on the prepaid, no data and thus email, or slow and very expensive data).

Having said that, I'm having mine unlocked before my trip to the old country. You just never know when you might need it.
    12-16-08 08:34 PM
    I called VZW to unlock my phone. She asked for my SIM card number and then a minutes later she said it was unlocked. Did she really unlock my phone or just activate the SIM card?
    12-16-08 10:20 PM
    I called VZW to unlock my phone. She asked for my SIM card number and then a minutes later she said it was unlocked. Did she really unlock my phone or just activate the SIM card?
    It's not unlocked unless she gave you an unlock code and you then entered the unlock code following the procedure posted elsewhere on this forum.
    12-16-08 10:37 PM
    Just activated the sim
    12-17-08 01:19 AM
    Well, if you're going to be relying on your Storm for email (especially corporate email on BES) while abroad, you really can't beat VZW's data roaming plan. It's $20 extra ($65 rather than $45 for domestic BES), and you get unlimited data. In some European countries (and elsewhere I'm sure), that roaming will be on 3G GSM networks. You can't beat that deal for data on a prepaid SIM anywhere. And you can turn the global plan on and off at will (with ATT it's a year commitment).
    If the $20 is the case, that would be extremely beneficial. You could use WebMessenger for Skype on your Blackberry (VoIP) and get EXTREMELY cheap international calling rates using only data and not airtime. I will have to remember that for next time I go abroad.
    12-17-08 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD