Hello all,

my very first post on any Blackberry comunity. Nice.

So... I just spent $220 on a new (believing in the seller) BB 9000 bold. On e-bay. I am a WinMo user since i got my HTC Artemis back in 2006. It is still the phone i am using today. I think next monday the Bold will arrive and the 2 sentences i wrote before will no longer be valid.

The Bold is branded and locked to AT&T.

I live in Portugal and the GSM carrier of the SIM I want to use in the Bold is TMN.

I want to unlock it for sure, unbranding is secondary. Should i research a little more about MFI Multiloader's and his friends and do it my self or should i go to e-bay and get an unlock code for $1.95?

Do you know if any information from the provider is needed to unlock the phone? If it is not, and if the only thing needed is software, i don't understand why there are so many unlocking "companies" and so few well-known and wide-discussed topics about how to do it.

Is it a good idea to install the latest OS found in this forum before i do anything with the phone?

About unbranding...i see many adviced that it may brick your phone. Is this brick reversable? Beacause the feedbacks i have read so far about debranding Bold 9000 are extreme positives!

There are so many more questions but i will feel very stupid if I ask them. I'll keep those private, between me a google.

Thank you very much for your time.

urubito
    01-27-10 10:48 PM
    You'll need to use a site like CellUnlock.net, or one of the many others to unlock the phone for use on your carrier, You cannot unlock the device on your own, You'll need to provide the model, and IMEI of the device to a company, so they can generate a code for you.

It would be advisable to install the latest OS on the phone when you receive it, If it's not been installed already.

In the topic of MFI Multiloader, CrackBerry.com rules prohibit the discussion of that app, so you'll need to use Google to get any information regarding the process of unbranding, be aware you do not need to it to use the device on TMN. unbrand.

In the topic of the "unbrickablity" of the device, If something does go wrong I highly doubt the device will be recoverable, so it would be advisable to ensure you follow all directions properly, in the event you choose to use the above mentioned software to unbrand your device, You should have no problems providing you do so.
    01-27-10 11:35 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry urubito. May you enjoy your 9000 as much as I do mine.
    01-28-10 01:55 AM
    enjoy your 9000, its a beast. go with a very reputable unlocking seller as quicksilver said.
    01-28-10 06:18 AM
    Moving thread to BB Unlocking
    01-28-10 08:36 AM
    Hello all,

my very first post on any Blackberry comunity. Nice.

So... I just spent $220 on a new (believing in the seller) BB 9000 bold. On e-bay. I am a WinMo user since i got my HTC Artemis back in 2006. It is still the phone i am using today. I think next monday the Bold will arrive and the 2 sentences i wrote before will no longer be valid.

The Bold is branded and locked to AT&T.

I live in Portugal and the GSM carrier of the SIM I want to use in the Bold is TMN.

I want to unlock it for sure, unbranding is secondary. Should i research a little more about MFI Multiloader's and his friends and do it my self or should i go to e-bay and get an unlock code for $1.95?

Do you know if any information from the provider is needed to unlock the phone? If it is not, and if the only thing needed is software, i don't understand why there are so many unlocking "companies" and so few well-known and wide-discussed topics about how to do it.

Is it a good idea to install the latest OS found in this forum before i do anything with the phone?

About unbranding...i see many adviced that it may brick your phone. Is this brick reversable? Beacause the feedbacks i have read so far about debranding Bold 9000 are extreme positives!

There are so many more questions but i will feel very stupid if I ask them. I'll keep those private, between me a google.

Thank you very much for your time.

urubito
    We can help you unlock your Blackberry. The only information we need the is the 15 Digits IMEI and the Unlock Code is emailed.

We wouldn't recommend you use that MFI software because you risk bricking your Blackberry.

Let us know if you have any questions in regards to unlocking and we will be more then happy to help you.
    01-28-10 09:25 AM
    Hello,

thank you all for your fast and helpfull replies

I will keep in touch to let you know when the "beast" arrives.
    01-28-10 12:07 PM

I want to unlock it for sure, unbranding is secondary.
    What you mean by ''unbranding''? Remove the carrier tags on the device body?
    01-28-10 12:14 PM
    What you mean by ''unbranding''? Remove the carrier tags on the device body?
    No. I'm talking about software restrictions imposed by at&t. I want a *full* bold 9000. But if there's a high possibility of bricking the device, then i prefer a *half-full* bold than a bricked one.
    01-28-10 12:23 PM
    *sigh* I remember my first time...

It was cold out. I had just turned the fireplace on and poured out some wine. I was nervous..but confident I was making the right move. I had seen it all play out in my head time and time again. The moment had finally arrived. Let me tell you...I gave her a thrashing the first time! It was an 8310..and boy was it memorable...
    01-28-10 04:22 PM
    *sigh* I remember my first time...

Let me tell you...I gave her a thrashing the first time! It was an 8310..and boy was it memorable...
    Is this an unbranding or unlocking experience? Were you successful? If so, do you recommend?
    01-28-10 06:24 PM
    It was an unlocking experience. And yes...I definitely recommend it
    01-28-10 06:26 PM
    No. I'm talking about software restrictions imposed by at&t. I want a *full* bold 9000. But if there's a high possibility of bricking the device, then i prefer a *half-full* bold than a bricked one.
    What restrictions? Their not Verizon and crippling your gps lol
    01-28-10 06:33 PM
    Or Telus and MMS...
    01-28-10 07:01 PM
    There are 2 major reasons why I want to unbrand/debrand the phone. One is the 3G lock. I want to be able to switch to whatever i want, 2G, 3G or 2G + 3G. I don't need 3G in my normal day-by-day (i'm not sure if there's such expression...) and I would appreciate some battery life saving. I know it can be done without unbranding, via the eng.menu but that seemed too "techy" for me. The second reason is that i don't need all those useless apps from at&t, specially when I live where I live (portugal). And now you ask: "what useless apps are you specifically talking about?" and I say: "idk, but I'm sure they exist."

As far as I know this at&t apps will allways be there, no matter what OS I upgrade to. Am I right? What about at&t navigator? Can I replace it with blackberry maps?

About unlocking, i'm decided to do it by code. Should i go cheaper with e-bay ($1.99), or pay more and use more trusted sellers?

Thank you all for your time.
    01-28-10 09:27 PM
    There are 2 major reasons why I want to unbrand/debrand the phone. One is the 3G lock. I want to be able to switch to whatever i want, 2G, 3G or 2G + 3G. I don't need 3G in my normal day-by-day (i'm not sure if there's such expression...) and I would appreciate some battery life saving. I know it can be done without unbranding, via the eng.menu but that seemed too "techy" for me. The second reason is that i don't need all those useless apps from at&t, specially when I live where I live (portugal). And now you ask: "what useless apps are you specifically talking about?" and I say: "idk, but I'm sure they exist."

As far as I know this at&t apps will allways be there, no matter what OS I upgrade to. Am I right? What about at&t navigator? Can I replace it with blackberry maps?

About unlocking, i'm decided to do it by code. Should i go cheaper with e-bay ($1.99), or pay more and use more trusted sellers?

Thank you all for your time.
    You won't get the AT&T apps once you activate it with your carrier's BIS. Only AT&T customers will get AT&T service books, which have those apps. The only thing you'll see from AT&T is the splash screen that appears for about 3 seconds when it boots.
    01-28-10 09:32 PM
    You won't get the AT&T apps once you activate it with your carrier's BIS. Only AT&T customers will get AT&T service books, which have those apps. The only thing you'll see from AT&T is the splash screen that appears for about 3 seconds when it boots.
    Thank you, that's great news for me. I have no problems with splash screens, i was just affraid to have useless apps in my device.

What about at&t navigator? Is it just a normal software that i can uninstall and replace with other gps navigator? (like BB maps)

When performing an OS upgrade will any GPS software be installed?
    01-28-10 10:06 PM
    Thank you, that's great news for me. I have no problems with splash screens, i was just affraid to have useless apps in my device.

What about at&t navigator? Is it just a normal software that i can uninstall and replace with other gps navigator? (like BB maps)

When performing an OS upgrade will any GPS software be installed?
    You won't have AT&T Navigator if you are not an AT&T customer. BB Maps should be available unless your carrier blocks it.
    01-28-10 10:11 PM
    another info good to know. I think i should stop worring about anything. I still don't have the phone in my hands so all i say is speculation. And too much speculate it's a waste of time. My HTC is jealous because i am spending so much time on the BB and i'm still waiting for it.
    01-28-10 10:21 PM
    Hello all. Finally I got my BB. It is brand new and so far 100% working. Right now I'm using it to write this reply. It's awsome!!
    The only thing I need to do is to unlock it.

I already have my imei but I still have 2 questions:

When submiting my imei number should I submit it with dots included?

Some sites ask for PIN number to unlock, why is that?

Thank you all!

This phone is great for typing!! I just can't stop...what's wrong with me...

Ok. Enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 09:36 AM
    Usually we prefer the imei without dots, but really doesn't matter. Some unlockers need the pin to unlock your phone as well, but we only use imei's and always get the right codes!

Let us know if you need any help unlocking your new BB!
    02-01-10 09:45 AM
    Hello all. Finally I got my BB. It is brand new and so far 100% working. Right now I'm using it to write this reply. It's awsome!!
    The only thing I need to do is to unlock it.

I already have my imei but I still have 2 questions:

When submiting my imei number should I submit it with dots included?

Some sites ask for PIN number to unlock, why is that?

Thank you all!

This phone is great for typing!! I just can't stop...what's wrong with me...

Ok. Enough.

Glad to heat that! Enjoy! We only need the imei and with or without the dots is ok. We use to require the PIN for some carriers, but it is no longer needed.
    02-01-10 10:48 AM
    hey! Thank you for your replies.

Just to update the situation...

When I first used the phone it had no SIM inserted. All at&t apps and shortcuts were there and no gps software.

When I inserted my SIM it said "invalid sim card" so I went to ebay, bought an unlock code for 1.98 and received within a couple of hours.
    I successfuly unlocked my phone and no more error message.

My problem now is about updating the device OS. I have downloaded the one from bell mobility but couldn't get it right.
    Do I need to uninstall the current OS before upgrading? If so, how do I do that? Where can I find the vendor xml file? Does my internet connection has to be off in order to upgrade? Will the upgrade install any gps software? And last one, I'm currently with os app ver 4.6.0.304 (519) and platform 4.0.0.247, can I directly upgrade to OS 5.xx?

I'm sorry for this multi-question post but it's to avoid multi-post questions.

Thank you.

02-01-10 05:41 PM
    hello again, i'm too fast

i've just upgraded my bold and now I can see this info on the help me screen:

Platform: 5.2.0.33
    App Version: 5.0.0.411 (661)

Does this means that the upgrade was done correctly?

Thanks again for your kind replies.
    02-01-10 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD