Hi Guys!!

I have the BB 8830 WE. I was/am going to buy this phone off of a co-worker of mine. The only problem is that I can't get it asociated with my carrier. It spent almost 4 hours with bell trying almost everything. I was going to go and get it looked at by an EX- RIM worker who now fixes BB's for a living but wanted a $40 fee just to look at it! Seeings as I am still in high school, and although I could afford it, I wanted to see what the knowledge-able people here think. When we were there we switched over the plans but the phone could not detect the network. Right now my main phone is a sanyo katana with a back plate made of tape. And seeings as I am moving more and more into the proffesional world it just doesn't look very professional.

So Any ideas?

Thanks very much

-Bobby
    04-15-10 07:19 PM
    I'm not familiar with Bell, but I think they are a GSM carrier. If they are, you will be unable to use an 8830 on their network. The GSM radio in an 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies. It is physically impossible for it to work on North American GSM frequencies. If I am mistaken and Bell is a CDMA carrier, then they will be able to flash your 8830 to their network, if they are willing to do so. If they are GSM, it is impossible.
    04-15-10 09:29 PM
    I'm not familiar with Bell, but I think they are a GSM carrier. If they are, you will be unable to use an 8830 on their network. The GSM radio in an 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies. It is physically impossible for it to work on North American GSM frequencies. If I am mistaken and Bell is a CDMA carrier, then they will be able to flash your 8830 to their network, if they are willing to do so. If they are GSM, it is impossible.
    They are a CDMA Carrier

Apparently the lady their said she tried everything, when you say flashing you mean basically re-installing the OS, I do not think she went that far, however she did setup everything in the computer, getting the info off of the phone and providing it with service but it could not find the network, it looked but could not find. Might it be the wireless adapter? Is there a way to test?
    04-15-10 09:33 PM
    I'm glad I'm wrong about Bell. That means you have a chance of success. I'm going to move this thread to the Unlocking Forum where there are experts that can help you. You will likely hear from one of them shortly after I move the thread. Good luck.
    04-15-10 09:37 PM
    I'm glad I'm wrong about Bell. That means you have a chance of success. I'm going to move this thread to the Unlocking Forum where there are experts that can help you. You will likely hear from one of them shortly after I move the thread. Good luck.
    Thank you!!
    04-15-10 09:39 PM
    Hi Guys!!

I have the BB 8830 WE. I was/am going to buy this phone off of a co-worker of mine. The only problem is that I can't get it asociated with my carrier. It spent almost 4 hours with bell trying almost everything. I was going to go and get it looked at by an EX- RIM worker who now fixes BB's for a living but wanted a $40 fee just to look at it! Seeings as I am still in high school, and although I could afford it, I wanted to see what the knowledge-able people here think. When we were there we switched over the plans but the phone could not detect the network. Right now my main phone is a sanyo katana with a back plate made of tape. And seeings as I am moving more and more into the proffesional world it just doesn't look very professional.

So Any ideas?

Thanks very much

-Bobby

Only way it will work is if it is branded to Bell no other way sorry.
    04-15-10 09:42 PM
    Only way it will work is if it is branded to Bell no other way sorry.
    It is branded to Bell.
    04-15-10 09:47 PM
    Then Bell reps are ******** lol. ESN's are quite interesting. If the previous which the device was activated on is not in good standing the device cannot be released and activated on a new one. That info should populate on their systems when trying to activate it unless their blind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 09:50 PM
    Then Bell reps are ******** lol. ESN's are quite interesting. If the previous which the device was activated on is not in good standing the device cannot be released and activated on a new one. That info should populate on their systems when trying to activate it unless their blind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AFAIK it has never been activated.
    04-16-10 07:11 AM
    AFAIK it has never been activated.
    Then it's with their system not the device itself.
    04-16-10 10:46 AM
    I have the same problem,I almost gave up, but I dicided to see how this things sells so I googled the model and wala , ebay on auction, same model, and I read and found out it supporrts both gsm and cdma, now I got as far as knowing that the sim card has been unlocked since everything there says disabled, no I replaced it with my sim card with rogers , cos it was originally with telus, this is where I get stus, I am where it says mobile network on options , and it is asking me to do a scan, I dont know how to, pls help
    04-16-10 01:05 PM
    8830 GSM portion only works with frequency bands overseas sorry.
    04-16-10 02:03 PM
    I have the same problem,I almost gave up, but I dicided to see how this things sells so I googled the model and wala , ebay on auction, same model, and I read and found out it supporrts both gsm and cdma, now I got as far as knowing that the sim card has been unlocked since everything there says disabled, no I replaced it with my sim card with rogers , cos it was originally with telus, this is where I get stus, I am where it says mobile network on options , and it is asking me to do a scan, I dont know how to, pls help
    The 8830 will only work overseas or in Asia. Basically it will operate on GSM networks that operate on GSM 900 / 1800
    04-16-10 03:19 PM
    Oh and just a little more info.

The signal bar only reads an X, when I switch it to DB mode it registers -256
    04-17-10 12:54 PM
    Are you in an area where your other phone has a signal? You are getting no signal on your 8830. You should at least be able to call 911 (not that you should try) if you are in an area where other phones have signal.
    04-17-10 01:17 PM
    Yeah All my other phones have signal.

The services status read:

Voice Services
    Connection: not connected
    Blackberry Internet Service
    Blackberry Enterprise Server
    04-18-10 01:43 PM
    Nothing???
    05-05-10 07:38 PM