Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum after lurking for a while and though I'd say hi and share something with you.

A few weeks ago I received my first BB, a curve 8300. I got it second hand and as usual one of the first jobs was to get it unlocked. Straight away I got searching around and I found a company called ThePhoneUnlockers. They claimed to be able to provide me with a code instantly. They didn't. Nearly 3 weeks on and still no code, no email reply (bar an automated email response), and no telephone number to call. I would stay away from this company. I have since done a little research and it seems others have had similar experiences with them. I should have looked into them a bit more in the first place but I was just so excited to get my BB up and running!

About 24hrs ago I decided I'd waited enough and went ahead and ordered from GSM Phonesource. I hear they're very good, and although the site says my code may take a few weeks to get here, I've read people on here getting codes within a few hours. Hope everything's OK

Proud new owner of a BB Curve!
    06-23-08 06:20 AM
    Hello & welcome to CB!

A reputable unlocking company should refund your money if they are unable to source an unlock code for your device.

GSM phonesource has been used by members of this forum and another recommended one is horizon wireless online.

Hopefully you will have your unclock code shortly
    06-23-08 06:31 AM
    Have you tried calling T-Mobile and asking for the subsidy unlock code? Just tell them you're traveling to Europe next week and you need the code. I can't speak for T-Mobile, but AT&T gave me the unlock code right over the phone, for free. Don't pay anyone to unlock your phone if you don't have to.
    06-23-08 06:39 AM
    thanks for the info on the company..Welcome to CB...
    06-23-08 06:54 AM
    Thanks good to know
    06-23-08 07:01 AM
    Thanks for the welcome

Well I'm in the UK so it might be different. The phone is locked with O2, my sim is T-Mobile. I called O2 this morning and apparently the guy that holds the original contract, the guy that sold it to me can get an unlock code but I can't since I am not a customer. Since I've already paid gsm phonesource I guess I will just wait and hope the code comes through soon.

Thanks
    06-23-08 07:07 AM
    I've used GSM phone source and my experience was that he's a bit lax in the promptness department.

I guess my standards are set a bit high, if someone advertises 24 hr. turn around time, I expect my code within that timeframe or at least a quick note explaining a delay. I should not have to contact them 3 days later to get my code. JMHO.

I have used an ebay unlock seller for the last 6 Blackberrys I have unlocked and got exceptional service from them and they have it on the web so you can check status at any time. However they currently only unlocked Cngular/ATT phones. And they are much cheaper than most.

Here's a link if anyone's interested. eBay Store - CellUnlockFast: Cingular At t Unlock Codes, Motorola Unlock Codes, Blackberry Unlock Codes

As Always...
    06-23-08 09:15 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Well I have send GSM Phonesource and email and IM. No reply yet.
    I have tried emailing an ebay seller asking what their turnaround was but no reply to that either.

If anyone on the forum can help me get my phone unlocked then reply here or PM me with how long it will take and name your price.

I really want to use my phone!
    06-23-08 09:25 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Well I have send GSM Phonesource and email and IM. No reply yet.
    I have tried emailing an ebay seller asking what their turnaround was but no reply to that either.

If anyone on the forum can help me get my phone unlocked then reply here or PM me with how long it will take and name your price.

I really want to use my phone!
    Did you try the link above, it usually takes 24 hours but they have a great service.
    06-23-08 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD