05-16-09 06:27 PM
41 12
tools
    Anyone can sue, lets a wait the out come
    04-29-09 05:08 PM
    And if Blackberry apps get security approval to work with Verizon's network, then it isn't unrealistic to get that exact seal of approval for a GPS app.
    So why don't those gps apps apply for and get that seal of approval?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 05:13 PM
    I believe VZW requires the apps submitted for approval also be distributed by them with additional fees attached, except for BBmaps. I don't think the model is designed very well for limited budget most of these free apps have.
    04-29-09 05:26 PM
    I believe VZW requires the apps submitted for approval also be distributed by them with additional fees attached, except for BBmaps. I don't think the model is designed very well for limited budget most of these free apps have.
    That still doesn't explain why Google or Mapquest or Garmin haven't done it. I've been told the whole Google story, but Mapquest is AOL and they have plenty of money as does Garmin. You'd think getting their stuff out to 80 million handsets might be worth the effort.

04-29-09 05:47 PM
    So why don't those gps apps apply for and get that seal of approval?

It looks like, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, there's no process for them to get seal of approval since they are just eliminated for competing for market share of customers. Since Verizon is in the GPS business as well, they closed the door.

Same way as if they created their own internet radio app like slacker or pandora, but for a fee, and then closed the door to the rest of the 3rd party apps in this category so that theirs is the only option to customers.

Its wrong and in my book, its illegal! And even though I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, I've followed the most famous of cases that were won along the same exact principals!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-29-09 at 07:44 PM.
    04-29-09 07:27 PM
    Buy a Storm!!
    04-29-09 07:29 PM
    Buy a Storm!!
    don't want a touch screen!!
    04-29-09 07:35 PM
    everybody wants something for free. Maybe I'll go send a bunch of letters and cry like biatch to Garmin and they will give me a free unit, because I'm special and my poo smells like roses.
    04-30-09 12:05 AM
    Aaaaaaaaaacccckkkk!
    04-30-09 06:16 AM
    you guys do realize that this suit WAS lost pro VZW and was like 3 yrs ago

its beating a dead horse; bringing it back to life and then beating it to death again.
    04-30-09 06:48 AM
    Last warning. Please stay on topic of the OP.
    05-05-09 07:37 PM
    The GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless phones we currently sell (with the exception of the BlackBerry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.

Bull... I ask this. " Then why are other carriers using the GPS chip (the same one that is in this device) for GPS software and not 911 calls?"

WTF.. I still don't get Verizon... I still have them calling me almost every other day for follow up's to my letters of complaint from the Attorney General's office, and etc.... but I'm not sure if I even want to deal with it anymore........ They seem to not even understand their own devices.
    I don't understand something, and maybe you could clear this up for me. I have a Storm on Verizon and use Google Maps and Poynt. There seems to be no problem using my onboard GPS chip. It locates my home within about 20 meters. Am I missing something here?
    05-05-09 07:42 PM
    I don't understand something, and maybe you could clear this up for me. I have a Storm on Verizon and use Google Maps and Poynt. There seems to be no problem using my onboard GPS chip. It locates my home within about 20 meters. Am I missing something here?
    yea... your blackberry is the only one that can do that
    05-05-09 07:45 PM
    20 meters is 65'

You phone is using cell tower triangulation to spot where "you are" at....

Hope that clears things up.
    05-05-09 07:51 PM
    hey folks, yeterday i found a FREE gps navigational program. i've tested it and it is pretty good. seems to load faster than VZnav. you can download it here ( amazegps.com )and they also have a forum if you have any questions need to fold out a bug. have fun!!!

one more thing, the admins in the forum there claim it utilizes the gps from the storm, or any other BB. let me know if it helps...
    05-06-09 07:19 PM
    hey folks, yeterday i found a FREE gps navigational program. i've tested it and it is pretty good. seems to load faster than VZnav. you can download it here ( amazegps.com )and they also have a forum if you have any questions need to fold out a bug. have fun!!!

one more thing, the admins in the forum there claim it utilizes the gps from the storm, or any other BB. let me know if it helps...
    You CANNOT use AmazeGPS unless you have the Storm (which has an unlocked GPS) or you subscribe to VZNav for other BB models (which unlocks the GPS)
    05-16-09 06:27 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD