05-16-09 06:27 PM
41 12
tools
    So, I read on this blog where someone basically argued their way into getting 6 free months of VZ Nav. I agree with all the posts that the aGPS should be opened for our free use. However, I do have a Holux BT GPS that is about the size of a thumb drive and it was only $44 on Amazon. But I would still rather not have something extra to have to carry around.

So basically after many phone calls to *611 and emails I got a response from a regional manager. I argued up to this point, but after this pile of crap letter. I have decided to leave VZW alone and just wait to see what happens.

But check the letter out....... Sorry for the length, but I copied the whole thing.

Good evening, my name is -------, and I will be delighted to assist you with your GPS inquiry. You are a valued customer and I apologize for any inconvenience this matter has caused.

Mr. ----, I attempted to reach you today, at the time you were not available. The GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless phones we currently sell (with the exception of the BlackBerry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.

Verizon Wireless cannot guarantee that you will be systematically located after dialing 911 from your wireless phone. In many places Public Safety still relies on the caller's descriptions to locate those in need. Enhancements to the Public Safety 911 system will make it possible for Public Safety to read your callback number and to estimate your location. However, given the many variables with wireless radio service, no design will be perfect. There are three different phases that the FCC requires for this service. We have listed them below for your convenience:

First: The FCC requires wireless carriers to provide Enhanced 911 call identification capability when requested by each of the approximately 6,000 state/local PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Points) nationwide.

Second: The FCC's Phase I Enhanced 911 rules require wireless carriers to automatically provide PSAP with the telephone number of the 911 caller and the location of the cell site used to originate the 911 call.

Third: Phase II Enhanced 911 rules requires wireless carriers to automatically provide the telephone number of the 911 caller and far more precise location information, within 50 to 100 meters in most cases.

The first two steps have been implemented, however the third step (Phase II) is still in progress. Please note: The deployment of Phase II E911 capability is complicated because it requires improvements to the capabilities of a number of parties -- vendors, wireless carriers, landline carriers and PSAPs -- to succeed. Also, the customer must have a Verizon Wireless GPS handset. Each party has to be absolutely certain that they are capable of supporting the required service enhancement when necessary. Verizon Wireless has devoted significant resources to upgrading its nationwide network to be able to provide Phase II E911 service when requested by Public Safety. Until such time when the PSAPs upgrade their systems, calls made from E911-capable handsets to 911 call centers that are not yet equipped, will still go through as usual. However, the 911 call centers will not be able to read and use the GPS-generated location information and may still need to rely on the caller to identify the location of the emergency.

Have a great weekend! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

--------
    Verizon Wireless
    Area Manager
    07-30-08 05:21 PM
    The GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless phones we currently sell (with the exception of the BlackBerry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.

Bull... I ask this. " Then why are other carriers using the GPS chip (the same one that is in this device) for GPS software and not 911 calls?"

WTF.. I still don't get Verizon... I still have them calling me almost every other day for follow up's to my letters of complaint from the Attorney General's office, and etc.... but I'm not sure if I even want to deal with it anymore........ They seem to not even understand their own devices.
    07-30-08 05:35 PM
    Ok so am I reading this letter right? Basically Verizon is stating that 911 dispatchers and emergency personelle may not be able to even locate you based on the GPS chip in your device? So let's say you were being attacked, and you managed to dial 911, but the attacker knocked your phone out of your hand. Then what? You have to ask the attacker to please refrain from what he is doing for 30 seconds while you get on the phone and explain to the dispatcher where you are, including effing cross streets? When you call 911 from a landline, regardless of whether you say anything or not, they will be there. POOF. Done and done. I know this from experience.

So how is this not violating some sort of safety policy?
    07-30-08 05:46 PM
    Even a cordless phone can only go so far from where the base station is plugged in to the wall. The wall outlet doesn't move. The wall outlet doesn't drive to work. The wall outlet doesn't go to the mall.

Cell phones on the other hand are not physically plugged in to something that doesn't move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 05:54 PM
    Kinda confused here, how does that help anyone get gps?
    07-30-08 06:15 PM
    Kinda confused here, how does that help anyone get gps?
    That is the unfortunate point. Verzion management doesn't even know how to respond to the questions. I highly doubt they have any intentions on "unlocking" the GPS like so many posts are reporting. VZ is not even telling their people internally the right info and don't seem to care.

07-30-08 06:54 PM
    Here is the bottom line: VZNav is Verizon's only supported GPS based navigational application. Verizon makes $10/month off subscribers to this application. There most likely will never be a way to unlock the GPS feature on your Verizon device for free. Unfortunate, but true.
    07-30-08 07:11 PM
    Ok, here is the deal.

Yes, by law now phones are required to have a GPS chip in them. They will either have a aGPS or full GPS chip inside of them.

All Blackberry CDMA models are the same inside and don't believe otherwise. The only thing stopping them is the ROM in which Verizon uses that was designed to lock you out from features inside the phone. The Blackberry does have a full GPS chip inside of it and you're not going to be unlocking it unless somebody is willing to A) create a unlocker for the phone and B) create a custom ROM based upon another carrier such as Sprint.

There are currently two phones on the Verizon network thanks to the magic flashing the ROM that have their GPS chips completely unlocked within the phones. Those phones are the HTC 6800 and 6900. Both have have full GPS chips inside of them that allow navigation without the need of the phone radio.

Verizon just likes to lock phones down because it's another way for them to make money.
    07-30-08 08:39 PM
    I think the bottom of that letter should read.

Sincerely,

Dumbass
    Verizon Wireless
    Former Area Manager
    07-30-08 11:02 PM
    What I don't get is that they have the BB 8830 which is a world phone and yet VZNav doesn't have any maps for Europe. Yet they block gps access to 3rd party apps like Google Maps which does happen to have maps to a lot of other countries. How would that help oversea travelers when they can't even see where they are at.

I think that would be a good way to start an argument with them.

Just thought of something else, what's going to happen when geotagging photos gets really popular. I've read that OS 4.5 for the curve (and probably pearl) allows you to geotag photos with the gps. I read it from somebody who using the beta 4.5 OS and he has a sprint 8330. Knowing vzw they will probably tell RIM to disable that feature so nobody will notice it.
    Last edited by Krod301; 08-02-08 at 02:00 PM.
    08-02-08 01:54 PM
    What I don't get is that they have the BB 8830 which is a world phone and yet VZNav doesn't have any maps for Europe. Yet they block gps access to 3rd party apps like Google Maps which does happen to have maps to a lot of other countries. How would that help oversea travelers when they can't even see where they are at.
    Verizon just needs to kill VZNav in general since it's one of the worst GPS programs on the market anyways. Unless people actually enjoy very out of date maps and routing that takes you on streets it shouldn't.
    08-02-08 03:38 PM
    Interesting since laptop magazine just reviewed VZNav and rated it very well.

08-02-08 07:15 PM
    Ratings this, ratings that, the VZNav for BlackBerry is antiquated and crippled. It's not even close to being on par with the Big Players in TBT GPS nav like Garmin and TomTom. The app is slow, buggy and crashes, and it costs $10/month! It's worth maybe half that. Sure, I *could* go buy a puck and a nav app, but why when my phone has a full GPS already?
    08-03-08 12:12 AM
    This is the reason I am getting a keychain puck when I get my curve.
    08-03-08 09:04 AM
    Ratings this, ratings that, the VZNav for BlackBerry is antiquated and crippled. It's not even close to being on par with the Big Players in TBT GPS nav like Garmin and TomTom. The app is slow, buggy and crashes, and it costs $10/month! It's worth maybe half that. Sure, I *could* go buy a puck and a nav app, but why when my phone has a full GPS already?
    Wow. In the same post you tried to discount a business that reviews products professionally and replace their assessment with your own and try to represent it as truth.
    08-03-08 11:12 AM
    what would be a good puck for the curve?
    08-04-08 04:19 PM
    Try the freedom 2000 keychain. Many have rated it well.

08-04-08 04:29 PM
    Wow. In the same post you tried to discount a business that reviews products professionally and replace their assessment with your own and try to represent it as truth.
    Yes. Yes, I did. Opinions are cool like that.
    08-04-08 07:21 PM
    Try the freedom 2000 keychain. Many have rated it well.

I agree. I've had a Freedom 2000 GPS since their released and it has worked amazing with every phone I've used it with. It's a bit shocking how many satellites it can pickup for its size and the battery life on it is very long as it holds a charge very well. It even comes with its own car charger.
    08-05-08 02:00 AM
    08-06-08 11:58 AM
    No love for the 8130?
    08-06-08 03:07 PM
    so.. whos working on the crack for the storm?

VoltaicShock;
    do you know what was the outcome of this? is it ongoing?
    Last edited by drunkclever; 04-28-09 at 07:14 AM.
    04-28-09 06:45 AM
    The Storm *IS* unlocked.
    AmazeGPS, Nav4All, Google *AND* BB Maps all work.
    Some people need to rewrite software. The API is different on the Storm than other BB devices.

There are programs that work.
    I use them on my Storm.
    04-28-09 06:08 PM
    The Storm *IS* unlocked.
    AmazeGPS, Nav4All, Google *AND* BB Maps all work.
    Some people need to rewrite software. The API is different on the Storm than other BB devices.

There are programs that work.
    I use them on my Storm.
    I second this ^

I was thinking throughout this whole thread "Oh, they must be talking about the OTHER phones with full GPS in em, since the Storm works great with Google Maps and Latitude!"

Haha yea....
    And I hope that lawsuit turns out in everyone's favor. Verizon disgusts me. Even though VZNav is decent, youre already paying $20/mo for data...$10 for VZNav is just ridiculous..try $3 maybe.
    04-28-09 10:46 PM
    thats a good explaination of the suit and I bet this is part of the reason why 4.5 came out with an unlock to the GPS for BB Maps. But at the end of the day, I still think theres a case to be made for monopolizing of the GPS. If every carrier practiced this, then you can essentially and unfairly squash the GPS software market and thats no good for free market and for us as consumers.

And I've said it before... its Verizon's network so they have the right to restrict its data use. But...

BIG BUT....

If your going to close the GPS for that reason, you can't then turn around and say you can use it for "OUR" software alone. So you either lock it for everything which they won't do because then they can't advertise GPS and fall behind the competition.... or open it for 3rd party software....

And if Blackberry apps get security approval to work with Verizon's network, then it isn't unrealistic to get that exact seal of approval for a GPS app. So intent to block, monopolize, and capitolize illegally is very clear....
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-28-09 at 11:24 PM.
    04-28-09 11:17 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD