The only gripe I have about the 9700 is the top of the phone functioning as a lock keypad/unlock keypad button. It's very annoying anytime I push the phone down into my pocket and the keypad unlocks. Because of this I've almost deleted some contacts.

Is there anyway to disable this?
    12-31-09 05:53 AM
    That button is also very touchy
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-31-09 06:22 AM
    no way to disable it. i think this is one of the most handiest features. i keep the phone in my pocket locked as well. ive never had this issue, however i never keep anything in my pocket but my phone and have no reason to go in the pocket unless im going to use the phone. so accidental unlocking isnt an issue.
    12-31-09 07:57 AM
    no way to disable it. i think this is one of the most handiest features. i keep the phone in my pocket locked as well. ive never had this issue, however i never keep anything in my pocket but my phone and have no reason to go in the pocket unless im going to use the phone. so accidental unlocking isnt an issue.
    It's handy to lock, but not to unlock. You should at least have the option to only allow the button to lock, but not unlock (* + phone icon to unlock only).
    12-31-09 08:01 AM
    I posted a gripe about this elsewhere. In my opinion a one-button unlock defeats the whole purpose of the locking functionality. But, as I mentioned in the other thread, a lot of people seem to like it, so I'd expect to keep seeing it on new BB's. It's just unbelievable to me that RIM didn't think to put something as simple as "Lock Button: [Locks and Unlocks] [Locks Only]" in the phone options.

One suggestion I saw, that I actually ended up using, is to put a password on the phone. This way, you need to at least four button presses before the phone will unlock.

But there's a problem with this method, too -- the auto-lock timeout, which can be set to a maximum of one hour. Again, I'd prefer to have the phone lock only when I tell it to, and never do so automatically. (It gets frustrating having to keep unlocking the phone during the day when it's just sitting on my desk.) I certainly understand the security implications of not having an auto-timeout in place, but again I feel that should be up to me to decide, not RIM.
    12-31-09 10:23 AM
    This has been a complaint of mine as well. A simple fix would be to require the unlock button to be pressed for 3 seconds before unlocking. I hope RIM will come out with a fix for this soon, i like small form factor because i can easily put it in my pocket. What use is that if it pocket dials people.

12-31-09 10:52 AM
    nopz cant disable it
    12-31-09 12:22 PM
    But there's a problem with this method, too -- the auto-lock timeout, which can be set to a maximum of one hour. Again, I'd prefer to have the phone lock only when I tell it to, and never do so automatically. (It gets frustrating having to keep unlocking the phone during the day when it's just sitting on my desk.) I certainly understand the security implications of not having an auto-timeout in place, but again I feel that should be up to me to decide, not RIM.
    Well you'll be thankful for the autolock feature the day you leave work and forget that your bb is on your desk...unlocked. Or anywhere for that matter.
    12-31-09 01:28 PM
    Well you'll be thankful for the autolock feature the day you leave work and forget that your bb is on your desk...unlocked. Or anywhere for that matter.
    Like I said initially, I do fully understand the security implications of NOT having the auto-lock. But, as it's my phone, I feel that it should be my decision whether to take that risk (much like I could decide not to use a password at all).

...and sorry to hijack this thread
    12-31-09 01:41 PM
    I agree that it should be a user definable button and it should have options.
    12-31-09 01:53 PM
    I just got myself a Bold 9700 last week and have been suffering from the same problems with the lock button on the top left. I tried using the standby mode as well as lock but it still managed to unlock itself in my pocket. I then put a password on my phone to unlock it but it ended up calling the emergency option.

There is an app called 'Emergency call lock' available which cancels the emergency number before it calls out, even when the password option is enabled. Works a treat, highly recommended to anyone who has the emergency call issue.
    01-26-10 04:22 AM
    Wow, i didn't even know those were up there! I never use them and I hold my berry like an old school nextel.
    01-26-10 12:09 PM
    On my Bold 9700 the A/* key is assigned to lock the phone and put it into the standby mode.
    As some people mentioned here, I want to use some other keys to unlock and take the phone from the standby mode without using the standard button on the top left.
    To me, it is inconvenient. Now, it seems impossible to assign my own keys for unlocking.
    Then, are there applications that can do the unlocking (from the standby mode) without using the top left button?
    11-09-10 03:32 AM
    The top left button is now the lock/standby button unless a password is specified to lock the unit.

They cannot be changed.

11-09-10 03:34 AM
    I have a password set on mine & regularly lock it using 'A' & 'Enter', find that by locking it this way my phone doesn't "accidentally" unlock when the top is pressed.
    11-09-10 04:13 AM
    Thank you to Rootbrian and lindesy_lewin for your answers.

I simply wanted to have simpler unlocking options.
    As someone mentioned in this thread it would be much sensible to have an option to unlock with two or three predefined keys. I also wanted to keep the phone from turning on let alone unlocking. If the phone repeatedly brings on the locked homescreen it will also cause unnecessary battery consumption no matter how small amount it would be.

Now, I got the answer and should settle down with the given option then.
    11-09-10 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD