11-02-11 12:04 PM
57 123
tools
    Hey. I think I bought an unlocked BB 8900 but did not know it (they guy took off in a shot) - I can place calls and texts, but nothing else, no BBM, no internet, NOTHING! Which is kind of leading me to believe it was unlocked, although the guy swears it wasn't. Can I re lock it? Rogers actually took my phone back and gave me a replacement, and 7 months later now say that the phone was not authorized for return and they sent the damn thing back to me! Now I dont know if they're going to make me return the one they send to me (which I love) or sneakily add 500 bux to my next bill to even it up.
    If locking is possible, could someone tell me? I've been told that if a phone is unlocked you won't be able to access all of the features -
    Dina
    It sounds like your phone is blacklisted in RIM NOC. So there is not way to activate/use it with BIS or BES
    11-30-09 10:52 PM
    Did you resend the service books?
    11-30-09 11:07 PM
    UNLOCKING DOES VOID YOUR WARRANTY!! It has voided mine, and now I need to Relock it to send it in the get fixed.. You have been warned, I would wait till your warranty is up till you unlock it..
    04-26-10 12:03 AM
    Never had one issue returning for a warranty exchange.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 12:07 AM
    I have, they will NOT accept it, Cell unlock is lying when they tell you that it doesn't void your warranty here is the email from Rogers i received from them:
    Dear Rogers Wireless Subscriber,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you would like information on how to go about unlocking your wireless device, as you will be traveling outside of Canada in the near future.

Unfortunately, we are unable to unlock Rogers Wireless phones at any cost.

If you try to unlock your phone through a third party, your warranty will be voided and there is no guarantee the phone will work thereafter.

Rogers offers roaming while outside of Canada to all of their wireless customers who have a compatible GSM phone with either or both the frequencies of 900/1800MHz (850/1900MHZ while within North America).

You may review the charges associated with your account while roaming at Redirect to the right page.

To check your phone frequencies please consult your User Manual or Redirect to the right page to see more information about your wireless phone. You may download the manual by going to www.rogers.com > Customer Service > Downloads > Wireless > User Guides > Select Manufacturer and Model. Please note you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the guides

We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email us again at Redirect to the right page. Alternatively, you may also contact Customer Service by phone at 1-888-764-3771 they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for assistance.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for your business.
    04-26-10 12:17 AM
    They all are required to state that. Cellunlock is not lying sorry. Canadians carriers do not ever unlock a device free of charge. Send in your device for warranty and you will be fine.

04-26-10 12:19 AM
    As Carrierunlock mentioned, UNLOCKING by CODE DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

They are trained to say that, and that is an automated pre-written email they send to any customer asking for a code, and basically what they mean in reality is if you would have someone open the phone to get it unlocked by testpoint, then obviously that would void the warranty. Unlocking by Code, never voids the warranty and that applies to all brands, not just Blackberry.

We've returned hundreds of Blackberry under the warranty to Rogers and never had any issue, so there is no reason why you should have one.

I myself had my ATT 9700 exchanged because the trackpad was faulty and they never refused it even though the phone was unlocked.
    Last edited by cellunlocknet; 04-26-10 at 02:57 AM.
    04-26-10 02:55 AM
    Hey guys
    quick question, i recently sent my phone back to RIM to get some warrenty work.
    well it is unlocked, its on the Bell Network, and is a Bell phone.
    So it was fixed and sent back, everything is great!
    went to put in a SIM as i was curious if it was unlocked.
    it popped up asking this sim requires my phone to be unlock would i like to unlokc, and i still had my original codes so of course i entered the codes in, and the sim works agian.
    my point is obviously RIM CAN relock the phones, and re-entering your code unlocks it agian. and well your warrenty isnt void as i didnt have to pay a dime for the services.

but my question is, my phones re-unlocked right? ha

cheers
    06-20-10 08:27 PM
    Hey guys
    quick question, i recently sent my phone back to RIM to get some warrenty work.
    well it is unlocked, its on the Bell Network, and is a Bell phone.
    So it was fixed and sent back, everything is great!
    went to put in a SIM as i was curious if it was unlocked.
    it popped up asking this sim requires my phone to be unlock would i like to unlokc, and i still had my original codes so of course i entered the codes in, and the sim works agian.
    my point is obviously RIM CAN relock the phones, and re-entering your code unlocks it agian. and well your warrenty isnt void as i didnt have to pay a dime for the services.

but my question is, my phones re-unlocked right? ha

cheers
    Best way to check is to go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM Card and type "mepd" and all should say Disabled.
    06-20-10 08:49 PM
    so if it all says disabled, like mine does, i successfully re-unlocked it?
    sweet!
    and RIM locked mine after warrenty repair. weird.
    06-20-10 09:07 PM
    Yes it is unlocked.
    06-20-10 09:08 PM
    sweet!
    yea it wasnt unlocked when i got ti back from rim when it was when i sent it.
    luckily i still had the email from my code i bought online.
    ****s re unlocked!
    stoked!
    thanks!
    also, anyone have a LEGIT and decent how to guide to debrand the phone, ie removing BELL splash, and just have a balckberry start up, or whatever. i guess it deosnt really matter, but would be nice.

also curious if i get a new device are you able to some how switch your PINs so you can keep the same pin on the new device?
    always wanted to know.
    06-20-10 09:12 PM
    That software is not allowed to be discussed on these forums.
    06-20-10 09:14 PM
    my bad, but where cna i find the info, ive been looking, just cant find a forum that tells me stright forward
    06-20-10 09:15 PM
    Because its not allowed unless you want RIM breathing down your neck and taking your site down.
    06-20-10 09:17 PM
    cheers
    and thanks for your help!
    06-20-10 09:47 PM
    sweet!
    yea it wasnt unlocked when i got ti back from rim when it was when i sent it.
    luckily i still had the email from my code i bought online.
    ****s re unlocked!
    stoked!
    thanks!
    also, anyone have a LEGIT and decent how to guide to debrand the phone, ie removing BELL splash, and just have a balckberry start up, or whatever. i guess it deosnt really matter, but would be nice.

also curious if i get a new device are you able to some how switch your PINs so you can keep the same pin on the new device?
    always wanted to know.
    You can google it, but it is advised that you do not attempt to debrand your phone unless you are VERY familiar with the core software. It is a tricky process and you could cause irreversible damage to your phone, as stated in the thread below.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ho...ftware-156950/

Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 06-20-10 at 10:11 PM.
    06-20-10 10:05 PM
    cheers
    and thanks for your help!
    Honestly not worth the trouble. PIN has to match IMEI in order for it to work.
    06-20-10 11:07 PM
    I know I'm bumping a thread that's almost a year old but I need to give my input. Many are saying unlocking the device does not void the warranty. This is only true in the US. Someone who worked for both Bell and Telus already mentioned that this is not the case in Canada and warranty replacements are more strict when it comes to unlocked devices (I don't remember who said it but I'm too lazy to go back and find out). And that email from customer service regarding the topic...even if it is an automated pre-written message, they're not going to say that if they didn't mean it. I know tons of people who got dinged with a $400-$500 charge on their Rogers bill because they sent in an unlocked device. As that former Belus employee said, some customers from those carriers might get away with it but I've been a Rogers customer for years and I know that if they get a chance to penalize you with a high charge for ANYTHING, they'll do it.

Of course this isn't the case for blackberry customers in the US because most carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc) sell devices that are already unlocked. So of course that unlocked device won't void their warranty. And the main reason Canadian carriers do not provide unlocking for their devices is because they WANT their customers to stay on their network/service. With the lack of competition in the wireless industry, they're more strict because they know that their customers won't have anywhere else to go. It's sad but true.

Anyway....to get the point across, everyone here needs to stop saying "unlocking your phone does not void your warranty." Unless you are an actual blackberry tech representative that works for Bell, Telus or Rogers, then you cannot speak on their behalf. Many people rely on the info/resources posted here so it's no good posting so confidently if it will evidently cost people a good 400-500 bucks.
    08-25-10 10:05 PM
    Forum seems to be dieing off a bit but I have some stuff to add too. I sent my blackberry back for warranty work done (it was unlocked) and there was no problem. They fixed the issues and sent it back. I own a Bell phone on a bell contract. The annoying thing is they returned the phone to be locked. I don't have my original unlock codes so thats 30 something bucks down the drain. Just a little bit annoying. I don't understand why they are so gung hu on locking these phones when the rest of the world seems able to make profit without them being locked.
    10-20-10 01:58 PM
    Forum seems to be dieing off a bit but I have some stuff to add too. I sent my blackberry back for warranty work done (it was unlocked) and there was no problem. They fixed the issues and sent it back. I own a Bell phone on a bell contract. The annoying thing is they returned the phone to be locked. I don't have my original unlock codes so thats 30 something bucks down the drain. Just a little bit annoying. I don't understand why they are so gung hu on locking these phones when the rest of the world seems able to make profit without them being locked.
    Its what we get for living in Canada >.<

10-20-10 02:57 PM
    I was told that Bell could unlock my phone for $70 before I took off. I knew that there was a cheaper way to go. I am going to unlock the phone but I'm not too sure when I should go about doing it. I'm going to Australia and could do it when I get down there. My plan was to set my plan to the lowest it can go on Bell and unlock it from a code provided by someone other then Bell. I was thinking I would do it when I got to Australia since I could shut off everything but Wi-Fi so I wouldn't get charged roaming. Has anyone been in the same boat as me and does anything have an opinion on what I should do?

thanks in advance
    03-29-11 05:33 PM
    There's only one code for the device, so it doesn't matter where you get it from.

But if you are going to keep the phone on Bell and "shut off everything but Wi-Fi", then why are you going to unlock it?
    03-29-11 06:55 PM
    I would be shutting everything off but wi-fi until I have a different sim card in the phone. Then I wouldn't be worried about extra charges.
    03-29-11 07:01 PM
    Ok. Well, it won't matter when you unlock it or from where you obtain the code.

The carrier doesn't care about you unlocking the device.
    ekafara likes this.
    03-29-11 07:41 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD