11-02-11 12:04 PM
57 123
tools
    Just wondering (don't know why), after unlocking your Bold, if you wanted, how do you re-lock it? Do you just put the code in again, delete the old code etc ??????
    03-28-09 02:32 AM
    Dunno, but why would you want to? No harm comes to the phone when you unlock, nothing is restricted when you unlock... there is really no down side....

>.>
    03-28-09 02:35 AM
    I do not think that you lock it back. I think that's it a one time deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 02:35 AM
    No point or need in relocking a phone, majority of wireless cellphone providers outside of the USA/Canada sell unlocked phones with their plans.

For example in the philippines they sell unlocked phones because people there can't afford month to month cellphone plans, so they buy an unlocked phone and pop in a prepaid sim card with minutes and text (not sure on data though).

03-28-09 02:41 AM
    why would you want to lock your bold again? :P
    03-28-09 03:52 AM
    What if someone you knew gave you an unlocked blackberry (because he was on cingular), but you have verizon (which doesn't support gsm)?
    04-04-09 01:33 PM
    What if someone you knew gave you an unlocked blackberry (because he was on cingular), but you have verizon (which doesn't support gsm)?

??? Locking the unlocked phone wouldn't do anything to help in a situation where the phone is GSM only on a CDMA only carrier.

I think only RIM and / or a carrier can lock a phone and once it's unlocked - it's unlocked for life
    04-04-09 02:40 PM
    I don't know about Blackberry's in general. But there are some manufacturer's where if your phone is unlocked and you unbrand it to a
    non-generic f/w by mistake, it will lock the phone again.
    04-04-09 11:16 PM
    i heard unlocking a berry makes your phone's warranty void and cannot be sent away for repairs anymore?
    10-12-09 11:16 PM
    i heard unlocking a berry makes your phone's warranty void and cannot be sent away for repairs anymore?
    Not true. carriers do not check to see if it is unlocked. Carriers would not provide unlock codes if it voided a warranty. Which is why they don't provide cups of water with every phone LOL.
    10-12-09 11:49 PM
    I don't know about Blackberry's in general. But there are some manufacturer's where if your phone is unlocked and you unbrand it to a
    non-generic f/w by mistake, it will lock the phone again.
    i think my old moto would do that? or maybe it was htc....
    10-13-09 01:02 AM
    I was told by my telus guy that unlocked phones do void warranty and cannot be sent away for repairs. not so much the same for rogers etc tho.
    10-13-09 11:14 PM
    He was feeding you too much crap.
    10-13-09 11:16 PM
    The unfortunate instances in Canada is that Telus check if the devices are unlocked, cause they will void your warranty. Reps at the store level are taught to discover if the device is unlocked if so, they are not allowed to send for replacement or the customer will discover approx. $400 charge on their bill. I worked for both of these companies thats how I know. Bell I have seen lots of individuals get away from issues related to unlocking devices.
    10-13-09 11:23 PM
    Companies in Canada are a little more strict on providing unlock codes. Actually, a LOT more strict.

The last post is correct. Telus and Bell will check to see if your phone is unlocked before sending it to repairs. Rogers as well. However, from my experience, I've never used the warranty from any of my phones, and I've had more than the average Joe. The warranty does not cover much in my opinion. Most techies will seek blogs, forums and google searches before they even attempt to send it in for repair.

Things like water damage or other self-inflicting causes won't be covered under warranty anyway. Those are the only problems that I've had with my phones. Too much use for its own good.
    10-14-09 07:19 PM
    The unfortunate instances in Canada is that Telus check if the devices are unlocked, cause they will void your warranty. Reps at the store level are taught to discover if the device is unlocked if so, they are not allowed to send for replacement or the customer will discover approx. $400 charge on their bill. I worked for both of these companies thats how I know. Bell I have seen lots of individuals get away from issues related to unlocking devices.
    interesting how a little thing like an unlock code voids a warrenty. I would be fighting it. Now that they will have HSPA phones they might reconsider this but somehow i doubt it.
    10-20-09 11:15 AM
    yes that is true with bell,telus,rogers that if they find out if phone is unlocked,warranty is void...so if you need phone repairs best u try to get phone relocked....which begs the question does anyone know of anyone who can relock bb 9000-thx kahuna7945@gmail.com

11-29-09 06:08 PM
    So why let them know? LOL
    11-29-09 06:17 PM
    Why would you want to re-lock?
    11-30-09 10:03 AM
    yes that is true with bell,telus,rogers that if they find out if phone is unlocked,warranty is void...so if you need phone repairs best u try to get phone relocked....which begs the question does anyone know of anyone who can relock bb 9000-thx kahuna7945@gmail.com

Once again, an unlocked phone is still under warranty. You can call RIM and find out for yourself. The reps are basically trained to say that, but we've returned numerous units and had customers return as well phones that were unlocked and never had any issues getting them replaced under warranty.
    11-30-09 11:30 AM
    I don't think they wanted to know if it was a good choice. The questions was can you lock an unlocked phone, I agree, quite pointless but is it possible?
    11-30-09 12:55 PM
    As stated many times in this thread, no it cannot.
    11-30-09 12:57 PM
    I don't think they wanted to know if it was a good choice. The questions was can you lock an unlocked phone, I agree, quite pointless but is it possible?
    Yes it can be, but can only be done with special softwares that we have. Not something that can be done easily.
    11-30-09 01:13 PM
    Hey. I think I bought an unlocked BB 8900 but did not know it (they guy took off in a shot) - I can place calls and texts, but nothing else, no BBM, no internet, NOTHING! Which is kind of leading me to believe it was unlocked, although the guy swears it wasn't. Can I re lock it? Rogers actually took my phone back and gave me a replacement, and 7 months later now say that the phone was not authorized for return and they sent the damn thing back to me! Now I dont know if they're going to make me return the one they send to me (which I love) or sneakily add 500 bux to my next bill to even it up.
    If locking is possible, could someone tell me? I've been told that if a phone is unlocked you won't be able to access all of the features -
    Dina

Companies in Canada are a little more strict on providing unlock codes. Actually, a LOT more strict.

The last post is correct. Telus and Bell will check to see if your phone is unlocked before sending it to repairs. Rogers as well. However, from my experience, I've never used the warranty from any of my phones, and I've had more than the average Joe. The warranty does not cover much in my opinion. Most techies will seek blogs, forums and google searches before they even attempt to send it in for repair.

Things like water damage or other self-inflicting causes won't be covered under warranty anyway. Those are the only problems that I've had with my phones. Too much use for its own good.
    11-30-09 04:26 PM
    Just wondering (don't know why), after unlocking your Bold, if you wanted, how do you re-lock it? Do you just put the code in again, delete the old code etc ??????
    I think at this moment only solution to relock your BlackBerry is to use Furious Gold box but latest models are not supported for relocking.
    11-30-09 10:51 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD