other than being able to use any carrier and international use, does unlocking the phone make it go any faster? what else is it good for?
    04-12-08 03:31 PM
    Ummm.. That's it. You've pretty much covered it.

Unlocking it may actually do the opposite if you aren't using it for another carrier. ie. unlocking an at&t branded bb to work on at&t.

04-12-08 03:34 PM
    thank you!!
    04-12-08 04:07 PM

Unlocking it may actually do the opposite if you aren't using it for another carrier. ie. unlocking an at&t branded bb to work on at&t.

Just curious, why would unlocking an AT&T branded BB cause problems using it on AT&T?
    04-12-08 04:22 PM
    beside being able to use a unlocked bb with ne carrier ..u can also sale it for more money cause it is unlocked .. ... and mine is unlocked and i have NOT had ne issues with my bb ...
    04-12-08 04:54 PM
    Mine is also unlocked and so far I have not had any problems. Still curious what the downside to unlocking could/would be?
    04-12-08 04:58 PM
    It's just for peace of mind that if you don't like your carrier you can switch, also if you travel abroad, it's cheaper to buy a sim at the country of your destination than to pay for your local carrier's international rates.

I called T-Mobile for my unlock code 3 days after I got my phone. I just told them I was traveling out of the country and wanted to buy a sim to use while there. They sent me the unlock code through email the same day (which normally takes 7 days).
    04-12-08 05:02 PM
    i had a blackberry pearl that was unlocked and when there was a blackberry blackout, i was not affected at all. do you think that is an advantage or was i just lucky?
    04-12-08 05:35 PM
    i had a blackberry pearl that was unlocked and when there was a blackberry blackout, i was not affected at all. do you think that is an advantage or was i just lucky?
    You were just lucky!!!
    Last edited by crimsontide; 04-13-08 at 10:10 AM.
    04-12-08 06:28 PM

What are the negatives to unlocking an AT&T Blackberry and using it on AT&T?
    04-13-08 10:26 AM
    Looks like no one came up with any negatives to unlocking.
    04-14-08 10:07 AM

Does this mean, that if I use another carriers' SIM during a foreign trip,come home and insert my AT&T SIM, it won't work or will it automatically lock it again ?
    04-14-08 07:24 PM
    No problems with the phone, but with billing/data.

There are lots of tickets that get filed for unlocked phones that are from "AT&T" having issues connecting to our data network. If not tickets, having to go through Tech to reset some settings that got changed on the back-end.

The voice and sms usually work, almost 100%, so no issues there.
    04-14-08 09:00 PM
    Does this work for cdma as well? or is it only gsm networks?
    02-22-10 11:42 AM
    Gsm only... there are some small carriers that will use a verizon or sprint phone but no just gsm...
    02-22-10 11:46 AM
    Does this work for cdma as well? or is it only gsm networks?
    If you have a Storm/Tour, you can unlock it and use the GSM portion of the phone.
    02-22-10 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD