05-29-12 09:15 AM
246 ... 23456 ...
tools
    i did the garbage collection, was at 29mb of free memory and then boosted up to 38. Quite an increase.

Side note, say somone were to go tinkering around with these settings and the Sh** hits the fan, would doing a complete os install fix that?
    06-22-09 12:31 AM
    i did the garbage collection, was at 29mb of free memory and then boosted up to 38. Quite an increase.

Side note, say somone were to go tinkering around with these settings and the Sh** hits the fan, would doing a complete os install fix that?
    not in every case IMO, i think these settings are beyond just the OS level and into more of a BIOS level.

Ok so i just ran a garbage collection on the ram and other menus. On the RAM usuage allocated memory actually droped even though free memory increased. Any one got any idea why and whether thats a good thing or not.
    thats the whole point of a GC, it runs anyway though so all you did was make it run. Its built into the OS and that is why you see memory fluctuations
    06-22-09 12:45 AM
    not in every case IMO, i think these settings are beyond just the OS level and into more of a BIOS level.
    And thats why i am kinda worried. It seems no one really knows exactly what this screen does. My curiousness is wanting me to try things so bad. I think i might grow some courage and try to edit one thing, reinstall the os and see if the setting changes back. A kind of proof of concept thing.
    06-22-09 12:50 AM
    randomboy,

pix or it didn't happen
    06-22-09 12:53 AM
    haha. oh trust me. if im gonna risk it. ill document everything ahah. for tonight im done. lol i already scared myself because im getting a mixture of tired and such and was in a menu and freaked out because i hit one too many buttons and reset some kind of drm thing. i did a quick run through of my phones operations and none seems to be affected. ill assume it has something to rhapsody or vcast. but it freaked me out enough to call it quits for tonight. lol. ill play tomorrow
    06-22-09 12:59 AM
    well email me if you need a wingman...

patches152@gmail.com
    06-22-09 01:00 AM
    doing a quick google, janus DRM seems to be exactly what i thought. it has to do with rhapsody and such. so not so worried. i might just use that as my control for my test, based on that it doesn't come back with a dm backup. i want to see if its only affected by a os reinstall
    06-22-09 01:02 AM
    hi there, firstly gotta say when i ran the test on mine and the one in our store it didnt kill the battery, so im sorry it did that, if id known i would said

on a more positive note its being fed back to rim as we speak
    Hey man no problem I've just been tinkering with a lot lately and have horrible battery life! But when I run the "test" screen as mentioned earlier in the post on the light sensor none of my buttons at the bottom would respond to the test, primarily the bb key. And I think the device bein stuck with a diagnostic app running killed it, along with the battery pull i had to do to get rid of it! Think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm running the bbcrackman v7. (.148/151/5.0) hybrid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 02:43 AM
    Hey man no problem I've just been tinkering with a lot lately and have horrible battery life! But when I run the "test" screen as mentioned earlier in the post on the light sensor none of my buttons at the bottom would respond to the test, primarily the bb key. And I think the device bein stuck with a diagnostic app running killed it, along with the battery pull i had to do to get rid of it! Think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm running the bbcrackman v7. (.148/151/5.0) hybrid?

someone posted earlier the test you ran isn't supposed to run on the storm.
    06-22-09 06:10 AM
    You think there's a way to unlock hardware acceleration? There are a lot of graphics options. I heard the storm had untapped open gl capabilities. Anything on that?

06-22-09 06:58 AM
    You can see how many mA your phone is using too. I notice that different hybrids use more mA than another.
    Its also neat that you can see the current breakdown in mA for different components, LCD and touch screen, etc. it would be interesting to see what the current draw is while playing music, when the phone vibrates, or during a call

06-22-09 07:40 AM
    It works you just have to follow the directions to the T.
    Nope. Typed in the word "test" an nothing happens.
    06-22-09 10:20 AM
    Nope. Typed in the word "test" an nothing happens.
    you are doing something wrong, it worked fine for me and many others
    06-22-09 10:44 AM
    You will be the first one complaining that you bricked your phone because you think you are an advanced user.
    Nah. Breaking things is the best way to learn. I bricked my phone just hours after posting that. But now I know that a hybrid consisting of all .148 files and new 5.0 files won't work. Trial and error!
    06-22-09 12:12 PM
    hey i bricked my phone loading .65 on it, and i lost my browser. is this the place to ask for help?
    06-22-09 12:23 PM
    hey i bricked my phone loading .65 on it, and i lost my browser. is this the place to ask for help?
    try a battery pull for that
    06-22-09 02:51 PM
    u guys do anything to the gps stuff? im thinkg of doing something?
    i was kicking around the thought of setting it to more accurate or faster connection!
    06-22-09 03:41 PM
    exactly. If you dont have a understanding or guide on what something does dont touch it. This forum is filled with people that rush into to loading crap on their phone and then complain about how its screwed up.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained... as long as theyre on this site they have plenty of help and support!
    06-22-09 03:45 PM
    someone posted earlier the test you ran isn't supposed to run on the storm.
    haha i actually found that as i read deeper into the thread. apologies for my post!
    06-22-09 04:05 PM
    also, anyone know if the garbage collection helps the flash/object usage like it helped the RAM? im guessing so but curious if anyone had any input?
    Last edited by Wheelman74; 06-22-09 at 04:14 PM.
    06-22-09 04:11 PM
    Well i have run the garbage collection under all the menus and i havent noticed anything different. When i run the RAM everything runs a little faster and there is some less lag but when i check the app memory in meterberry it only jumps a little getting back about .5mb.
    06-22-09 05:40 PM
    Not to be a flamer but I call BS... I tried a quick,full, & thorough GC and ad absolutely no change in free memory... it was constantly at 33MB...
    06-22-09 05:46 PM
    techno, i've reported your signature as a flame and personal attack. enjoy your ban
    06-22-09 07:08 PM
    techno, i've reported your signature as a flame and personal attack. enjoy your ban
    its your own words... quoted with out editing anything... there for i dont believe it should be grounds for a ban...
    06-22-09 07:11 PM
    its your own words... quoted with out editing anything... there for i dont believe it should be grounds for a ban...
    really? you're can't sense THAT much sarcasim? you took my post seriously?

you should know better

good day, sir
    06-22-09 07:15 PM
246 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD