Hi all,

I'm leaving Verizon...I know boo. I'm preparing to sell my Storm and called verizon to unlock my phone. I told them I was planning to travel to Europe and that I wanted to unlock my phone to work on GSM networks. Verizon proceeded to "activate my sim card". Is that the same as "unlocking" the phone?

I wiped the device and upon start up it displays a message "sim card detected do you want to search for available CDMA and GSM networks" If I search for GSM it picks up both ATT and T Mobile 2G networks (not 3G). Can I therefore sell the phone as having the ability to work with any provider? Lastly when I do cancel my contract I will ask them to release my pin.

Thanks in advance!
    07-23-09 08:38 AM
    Did they give you a series of commands to type into your phone? If not then it is still locked
    07-23-09 08:58 AM
    Did they give you a series of commands to type into your phone? If not then it is still locked
    Right! If you READ them numbers it is NOT unlocked.
    If they GAVE YOU number to enter then it IS unlocked.
    07-23-09 09:02 AM
    Nope, read them numbers...did not enter anything into the phone. So I assume when I sell it the buyer will have to purchase an unlock code...

Thanks for the quick answers.
    07-23-09 09:15 AM
    NO, call them back and get them to unlock it. How long have you been with Verizon? That is key. If you have had an active account with them for 6 months then they will unlock it. Just call them again and be polite. Tell them again you are traveling and they will do it.
    07-23-09 09:19 AM
    What number are you calling to ask for the unlock code? I hope it is the global support team. If you are just dialing 611 and calling tech support you are wasting your time. Nothing negative about the tech support people but most of them don't have a clue what unlocking is.
    07-23-09 09:29 AM
    Call this number 1-888-844-0395. And you have to be active with Verizon for 60 days not the 6 months I stated before.
    07-23-09 09:36 AM
    What you did was unlock the SIM card in your phone to get voice and data on the global Verizon network.

What you will have to do is unlock your phone to accept SIM cards from different carriers.
    07-23-09 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD