Okay, so first post here, I've been looking around for a few hours and haven't found an answer yet. So here's the problem:
    Bought a 8900 off of someone on craigslist yesterday, the case clearly has T-Mobile labeled on the back side by the camera lens. I put my sim card in (T-Mobile) first the screen says no sim card found, I press 'close', and at the home screen a prompt appears telling me i need to enter an unlock code for this sim card. I press 'yes'. Then the Network MEP code input appears on screen.

My questions are:
    Why is the 1st screen telling me that no sim card is found, when in fact, it is recognized?
    Why would it prompt me to input an unlock code when the phone's network hasn't been switched?
    What should I do?

When powering on after the Blackberry loading screen (even without sim card inserted) it clearly says "T-Mobile". This is for those people who might try to tell me it is an AT&T phone with a T-Mobile case/shell.

Edit: I also tried the SIM card in another phone and it worked so it's not a Sim card problem
    Last edited by PropheticSin; 09-08-10 at 05:01 PM.
    09-08-10 04:55 PM
    Sure it's T-Mobile USA and not T-Mobile UK?
    09-09-10 12:01 AM
    No not sure, I figured thats the type of response I would get since its not a very common problem.

To update the situation, I acquired an unlock code from berrymod.com, and it works, only problem is when it says code accepted the phone freezes, I've done multiple battery pulls and attempted to soft reset before it freezes but nothing works!
    09-09-10 12:17 PM
    No not sure, I figured thats the type of response I would get since its not a very common problem.

To update the situation, I acquired an unlock code from berrymod.com, and it works, only problem is when it says code accepted the phone freezes, I've done multiple battery pulls and attempted to soft reset before it freezes but nothing works!
    It's a hardware issue some T-Mobile 8900's face. You will only be able to unlock it via software and usb cable.
    09-10-10 11:15 AM
    i have an 8520 with t-mobile with the same issue.can you please tell me how much it would cost and where would i send it
    09-13-10 07:51 PM
    Need to take it to a local unlocker in your city
    09-13-10 10:45 PM
    i have an 8520 with t-mobile with the same issue.can you please tell me how much it would cost and where would i send it
    We can unlock it but we would need to have the phone physically.
    09-14-10 12:50 AM
    We can unlock it but we would need to have the phone physically.
    hi can you please tell me how much it would cost and where would i send the actual phone.i live in montreal canada and dont know any local dealers that software unlock.would really like to get this problem resolved.thankyou
    09-15-10 07:34 AM
    hi can you please tell me how much it would cost and where would i send the actual phone.i live in montreal canada and dont know any local dealers that software unlock.would really like to get this problem resolved.thankyou
    Send us an email at sales@cellunlock.net and we will send you all the info.
    09-16-10 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD