To use it on GSM Sim card ,do I still have to unlock?
    has a ESN
    02-27-11 01:59 PM
    Yes you will have to unlock it to use it on GSM, provided that its locked to some carrier like AT&T etc.
    02-27-11 03:06 PM
    has a ESN
    Will only work in Europe and check to see if it is unlocked prior. Check out our support section.
    02-27-11 03:46 PM
    yes will only work overseas! but for traveling it's great and practical, easy to use.
    02-28-11 05:10 PM
    The 8830 will only work in Asia and Europe when unlocked since its GSM frequency is not compatible with North American networks.

Let us know if you need anything else
    02-28-11 10:18 PM
    need to unlock my 8830 blackbberry with bell can someone help?
    03-30-11 03:00 PM
    yup, we are all here to help. Feel free to contact us or other unlockers around here.
    03-31-11 12:55 PM
    has a ESN
    You need to unlock it, but a unlocked 8830we will only work overseas.
    04-01-11 01:59 PM
    need to unlock my 8830 blackbberry with bell can someone help?
    We can help you! check signature or pm us with any questions. lot of great unlocker's online.
    04-03-11 03:12 PM
    So this is my question, too.
    My Service Provider is Verizon. Recently I replaced my BB 8830 World Edition with an iPhone4-Verizon (Probably a heresy in this forum!). But the 8830 is now mine to hold and to love and cherish. And to use overseas if only I can make it work.
    The World Edition Blackberry, I understand, is both CDMA and GSM ready. The phone doesn't have a SIM card -- didn't need it, because Verizon uses CDMA, which I understand is built into the phone itself.
    It didn't come with a SIM card, but it has a SIM slot.
    So my questions are:
    (1) To use the phone overseas (in India) with a different (GSM) carrier, do I need to unlock it first? Or is it the case that since its GSM personality was unused, its GSM side was never locked?
    (2) Would I be unlocking its CDMA personality or its GSM personality? Or both? I'm seeing different procedures for unlocking CDMA and GSM.
    (3) Would I have a choice of GSM (the more common one) vs. CDMA (possible, though not common) carriers in India for my BB? Would I have to do some double unlocking to afford this choice?
    (4) Am I being particularly dumb about this whole thing, or only moderately so?
    Last edited by ReignForrest; 04-23-11 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Minor typos and incomplete query.
    04-23-11 03:55 PM
    1. Yes. The GSM side is most likely locked. It likely came that way.
    2. GSM. The CDMA side cannot be "unlocked".
    3. GSM most likely would be your option. Typically, CDMA carriers will not activate device from other CDMA carriers. But you could ask. I believe Reliance is a CDMA carrier in India. I don't know what bands/frequencies they use. There's only one unlocking. No 'double unlocking'.
    4. Only moderately.
    04-23-11 09:41 PM
    ^^ great answers, don't really have anything to add to that
    04-25-11 04:23 PM
    Hope motorcycle momma was able to help ya! by the looks of it she knows what she's talkkin about!
    04-27-11 07:14 PM
    Also please keep in mind that 8830 even once unlocked will only work overseas on GSM.
    04-27-11 11:33 PM
    we never process a 8830 without asking the company first if they are ok with that. Unfortunately we end up cancelling most orders! haha
    04-30-11 09:13 PM
    Same here....nothing like unlocking your 8830 and get the Code Accepted to then find out it can only be used overseas.
    05-01-11 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD