01-10-10 11:33 AM
33 12
tools
    Some airline offer free wifi on plane. anyway u think, but r u sure? Can any1 confirm that they are able to make phone call with their t-mo 9700 on a plane connected to the plane wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No you cannot, the port is blocked intentionally. Yes I have tried.
    01-10-10 02:21 AM
    i know the following countries have t-mobile network: usa, england, and germany. anywhere else?
    T-Mobile is the same in name only in the other countries. Whether you are roaming on T-Mobile in another country has no bearing on being able to use UMA service. The UMA service is enabled when you have a T-mobile USA sim in a capable phone (I think only T-Mo USA branded phone will work) and are connected to WiFi. The phone then is able to negotiate the connection to the T-Mobile USA UMA server in the USA allowing you to make calls like you are back in the USA over WiFi. Advice to anyone using it, turn OFF your mobile network to ensure you are using UMA and making non-roaming calls while traveling.
    01-10-10 02:25 AM
    FYI regarding the frequency bands used in Bold 9700's. An at&t branded 9700 will use 3G frequencies 1, 2, 5, 6 (2100/1900/850/800Mhz) which covers most of the world. The T-Mobile version has 3G bands 1, 4, 8 (2100/1700/900Mhz) which only T-Mobile USA and Wind Mobile in Canada use.
    01-10-10 02:41 AM
    But t-mo 9700 has wifi & uma. So if u are in a free wifi hotspot like a hotel or cafe, u got 3g on ur t-mo 9700.

Umm, wifi/uma is NOT the same as 3G so I don't know why you brought this up nor why you jacked the thread topic and turned it into UMA.

The OP's question was already answered in the posts prior to this one. T-mo device 3G band is incompatible with most other bands aside from a select few.

01-10-10 02:56 AM
    Umm, wifi/uma is NOT the same as 3G so I don't know why you brought this up nor why you jacked the thread topic and turned it into UMA.

The OP's question was already answered in the posts prior to this one. T-mo device 3G band is incompatible with most other bands aside from a select few.

i think he was trying to make a comparison that when you are on wifi, its similar to having a 3G connection in terms of speed.
    01-10-10 02:58 AM
    Yeah, I'm having this exact problem. Its really starting to annoy me now. Worked fine on 3G for the past week and now I've gone on holidays further west (in Australia, on Telstra) and suddenly my phone doesn't want to switch back to 3G, even in the CBD area. I know its not the network cos my 9000 used to work in the exact same place with full service on 3G!!!
    01-10-10 04:24 AM
    i think he was trying to make a comparison that when you are on wifi, its similar to having a 3G connection in terms of speed.
    I understand that, but the OP was asking about 3G connectivity, not speeds comparable to 3G, so wifi discussion really doesn't help him, nor does UMA talk esp if his carrier doesn't even support UMA.

01-10-10 06:21 AM
    No you cannot, the port is blocked intentionally. Yes I have tried.
    what airline were u on? u saying all airline blocked port so u can't make call over wifi?
    01-10-10 11:33 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD