04-13-09 10:40 PM
31 12
tools
    Oh. I just saw that someone commented that they could turn off the 3G. So that's unbranding, not unlocking?
    Not to sound too dense, what's the difference?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Go here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/unl...anding-181612/
    04-08-09 08:07 PM
    Well....If you have already jacked your phone up that bad you might as well get into the escreen (engineering screen) and see if you even have the option to turn 3G on or off. If you do then you have definitely unbranded your phone, but you will have the ability to switch between the settings from the escreen. If your phone is unbranded hold down the "alt + caps" buttons and press "h". If you have an unbranded phone you will then have the escreen come up. If it is not unbranded you will see a help me screen. If you get the help me screen you can still get into the escreen by unlocking the escreen with a code, but you will have to do your own search for that....
    04-08-09 08:15 PM
    Well....If you have already jacked your phone up that bad you might as well get into the escreen (engineering screen) and see if you even have the option to turn 3G on or off. If you do then you have definitely unbranded your phone, but you will have the ability to switch between the settings from the escreen. If your phone is unbranded hold down the "alt + caps" buttons and press "h". If you have an unbranded phone you will then have the escreen come up. If it is not unbranded you will see a help me screen. If you get the help me screen you can still get into the escreen by unlocking the escreen with a code, but you will have to do your own search for that....
    You don't need to access the eScreen to toggle 3G and 2G... it can be done from options, mobile network, network mode.

I've only used the eScreen to force AMR-F voice codec for MUCH better call clarity. Other than that, that stuff looks a little too bricky.
    04-08-09 08:20 PM
    Yeah, I understand you can do it from the options menu, but if you go in to the escreen you can check your radio capabilities under "mobile network engineering screes, Utilities, radio capabilities" and check to make sure you have HSDPA support set to yes and check your UMTS band support as well.

You can also check to see if you somehow are "camped" to a particular cell that may either be far away or not 3G supported.

You don't need to access the eScreen to toggle 3G and 2G... it can be done from options, mobile network, network mode.

I've only used the eScreen to force AMR-F voice codec for MUCH better call clarity. Other than that, that stuff looks a little too bricky.
    04-08-09 11:20 PM
    the phones are probably dead, but there's no reason to hate on these people. they knew the risks associated with debranding, the instructions for it explicitly state that you can permanently brick the phone. as for throwing the book at them or banning pin/imei, get a life. there is no reason carriers in the u.s. should be able to cripple hardware that is bought by the consumer.
    04-09-09 08:52 AM
    @branta...you speak a lot of words, have a lot of theories about malware and pass a lot of judgement about people but in actuality offer very little value. At the end of the day you did not answer anyone who asked how to set a Bold to 2G on AT&T.

I like many users here have a Bold on AT&T and find the 3G network terrible in the way of dropped calls and poor battery life. If I need to install some "bad" software to enable the ability to switch to 2G (which was crippled by AT&T to begin with) then I have no moral or other objection with doing so. If I brick the phone...guess what...its going back to the AT&T store for a replacement because ultimately this brickage is result of their actions.

There is no easy way if you're going to take software from untrusted sources. It all becomes a matter of assessing the risks, and balancing potential gain and potential harm. Whether individual users consider only the immediate risk to themselves, or the wider risk to the community has to be a personal choice.

Fortunately this was a decision I did not need to make for my phone which was unlocked, factory vanilla from the day it was delivered. I have no idea how I would have responded if I was forced to contend with AT&T's monopoly and crippled functionality with a pisspoor 3G network.
    04-13-09 10:40 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD