Hi
    Anyone else getting hit by Blackberry and their attempts to claw money back from long standing customers?

I understand that they have called this initiative Project Hoover!

Their systems have been misreporting licensing use for years. They have recently informed us they want to charge use another $100k+ a year to upgrade our licenses from Collaboration edition to Content Edition, just because we use one custom dynamics application. $100k extra a year for 4000 users to use an app we have been using just fine for 7 years - an app that we wrote.

They dont seem to care that they are burning the relationship. I see this as a last ditch attempt to squeeze customers for cash, as they know they will be going under in the next couple of years.

:-(
    02-21-19 02:17 PM
    Does sound excessive... I'd spend some time trying to work thing out with "them" or the next person or two up the food chain. That doesn't work, there are other options out there, and now might be the time to switch. (I can't believe that they would easily let you go)

But I have no experience with current BB UEM.... will say that Chen says profits are up on software in a big way.
    02-22-19 08:27 AM
    Unfortunately yes.

Just had a long time bes customer of 10 yrs dump them for forcing upgrade to collaboration licenses for all Non BB androids in order to license the hub for these devices. They were warned last renewal that they would only pay once, and followed through on the threat. Wasn't nearly the 100k/year, but was the principal of it. Don't force customers to pay extra for that which they won't use just to pad your books.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-22-19 09:49 AM
    Unfortunately yes.

Just had a long time bes customer of 10 yrs dump them for forcing upgrade to collaboration licenses for all Non BB androids in order to license the hub for these devices. They were warned last renewal that they would only pay once, and followed through on the threat. Wasn't nearly the 100k/year, but was the principal of it. Don't force customers to pay extra for that which they won't use just to pad your books.
    Well clearly they should have switched to BB Android devices....

At this point, making a change can be costly.... I expect BlackBerry know that statistically few will risk leaving them. They loose 2% of their customers, but increase profits by 25%... that looks better on the books.
    02-22-19 10:02 AM
    Well clearly they should have switched to BB Android devices....

At this point, making a change can be costly.... I expect BlackBerry know that statistically few will risk leaving them. They loose 2% of their customers, but increase profits by 25%... that looks better on the books.
    Haha. Most of their devices are BB Android Keyone and Motions, with the bulk by far being motions
    02-22-19 10:08 AM
    Haha. Most of their devices are BB Android Keyone and Motions, with the bulk by far being motions
    And the cost to license the non BlackBerries was enough to get them to drop BlackBerry?

Wonder if some had already been making a case for a change, and that was simply the last "straw".

Sad either way... in the end wonder if they'll have regrets or be happier with the move.
    02-22-19 10:16 AM
    And the cost to license the non BlackBerries was enough to get them to drop BlackBerry?

Wonder if some had already been making a case for a change, and that was simply the last "straw".

Sad either way... in the end wonder if they'll have regrets or be happier with the move.
    I assisted in the decision to move as I have to consider what's best for the client. The fact that upper management at blackberry themselves didn't seem to care, as even account managers were on our side, soured me on them. If they are that willing to toss away a 10 year loyal customer relationship over a couple handfuls of $150 licenses, then they aren't reciprocating that loyalty and have their priorities a little out of whack.
    It's simple customer retention.

As we aren't using custom apps, the cost of migrating is minimal. It's simply moving android enterprise management to different platform.
    Shrug. We were quite happy with the system, but they were warned that this enterprise hub license policy being tied to collaboration suite licenses would lose them a customer. If they tried to call our bluff, it backfired.
    Shrug
    02-22-19 10:56 AM