this post makes no sense.

the message folder is especially handy for those that have more than one e-mail box. the top row of icons (the only row in the home screen) is very coveted on my phone.
    Right, one folder for all email accounts...
    07-17-09 08:26 AM
    My messages folder is comprised of missed calls, facebook notifications, emails, and BBM messages.

What does "Messages" do that those individual apps won't do by themselves?
    You must be a new user.

The Messages folder is the most versatile folder you have. You can either have it ONLY show email (like I do), or selectively choose if you want SMS, Facebook, IM messages on there too.

Also if you have multiple email accounts it combines them all!
    07-17-09 08:39 AM
    how doesnt it make sense? i quoted someone saying something, said that was his solution, the guy doesnt know he can merge all his msgs like txts and emails and everything in one folder.
    the quote you responded to was the correct answer...that is why your post made no sense. maybe you missread his post and what he was responding to... i dunno, but his answer was the correct solution....and he wasn't complaining. i have no clue where you got that from.
    07-17-09 08:44 AM
    You must be a new user.

The Messages folder is the most versatile folder you have. You can either have it ONLY show email (like I do), or selectively choose if you want SMS, Facebook, IM messages on there too.

Also if you have multiple email accounts it combines them all!
    I jump in here and state I am a new BB user (Tour on VZW) coming from Windows for many years and Palm before that.

I can't fathom a reason how this folder is anything but an annoyance.

I can't see any reason what so ever to have mixed missed calls with e-mail account(s). While rhetorical, how is that remotely convenient? It takes a lot long to sift through one folder for everything than it would (and has) to look at one folder/icon for missed calls, one folder/icon for e-mails, one folder/icon for vm, etc.

I have seperated the e-mail from sms and removed the icon from the main screen, but that is just a band-aid to the problem in which I think the folder is useless.

It is a feature I can't imagine ever falling in love with, and one the biggest potential reason for returning my BB and going back to a Windows based phone.
    07-17-09 09:00 AM
    This may be off topic but not really. For some reason, at the top of the screen where it shows messages that you have, I have a 1 followed by the myspace icon. I have logged into my myspace and I have no unread messages. Any idea why? Thanks
    07-17-09 09:01 AM
    I jump in here and state I am a new BB user (Tour on VZW) coming from Windows for many years and Palm before that.

I can't see any reason what so ever to have mixed missed calls with e-mail account(s). While rhetorical, how is that remotely convenient? It takes a lot long to sift through one folder for everything than it would (and has) to look at one folder/icon for missed calls, one folder/icon for e-mails, one folder/icon for vm, etc.

I have seperated the e-mail from sms and removed the icon from the main screen, but that is just a band-aid to the problem in which I think the folder is useless.

It is a feature I can't imagine ever falling in love with, and one the biggest potential reason for returning my BB and going back to a Windows based phone.
    You are a new bb user so you need more time to realize the power of the messages folder. Me, I have 11 email accounts on my berry, one on BES, 10 on BIS, plus sms, mms, facebook, aim, yahoo, gtalk, msn, bbm. No way do I need all of these icons on my homescreen, nor do I have room. So I hide all IM apps and all email folders, even the messages folder. I turn off home screen dialing and when I get a message I just hit <m> and all my messages are there. I usually check my messages within a few minutes so there aren't too many unread messages. But even if there were or I needed to search within a specific account, I created shortcuts for all accounts, some are standard like alt+o for all outgoing messages, alt+p for all phone calls, alt+s for sms, alt+m for mms...etc...

But I made my own: alt+f for all facebook messages, alt+g for all gmail messages, alt+d for all desktop or exchange emails and so on. Of course all my im apps already have built in shortcuts: i=aim, x=msn, y=yahoo, g=gtalk, n=bbm. So once you get to know all of your shortcuts, standard and custom, you don't need all those message folders on your homescreen.
    07-17-09 09:14 AM
    This may be off topic but not really. For some reason, at the top of the screen where it shows messages that you have, I have a 1 followed by the myspace icon. I have logged into my myspace and I have no unread messages. Any idea why? Thanks
    Probably a notification message from your myspace app. The facebook app is notorious for that, and its highly annoying. Check the app on the phone itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 09:20 AM
    You are a new bb user so you need more time to realize the power of the messages folder. Me, I have 11 email accounts on my berry, one on BES, 10 on BIS, plus sms, mms, facebook, aim, yahoo, gtalk, msn, bbm. No way do I need all of these icons on my homescreen, nor do I have room. So I hide all IM apps and all email folders, even the messages folder. I turn off home screen dialing and when I get a message I just hit <m> and all my messages are there. I usually check my messages within a few minutes so there aren't too many unread messages. But even if there were or I needed to search within a specific account, I created shortcuts for all accounts, some are standard like alt+o for all outgoing messages, alt+p for all phone calls, alt+s for sms, alt+m for mms...etc...

But I made my own: alt+f for all facebook messages, alt+g for all gmail messages, alt+d for all desktop or exchange emails and so on. Of course all my im apps already have built in shortcuts: i=aim, x=msn, y=yahoo, g=gtalk, n=bbm. So once you get to know all of your shortcuts, standard and custom, you don't need all those message folders on your homescreen.
    But my spefific issue is not the dumping of one to all e-mail, SMS, etc into the folder but the spefific issue dumping the missed calls with the e-mails.

While I don't think the combining all e-mail accounts is required, that is something I would learn to live with.

I think it is very time consuming and completely unnessarcy to have to search through a few to several to many e-mails/sms/other to find out who called you.

That is my complaint with this folder
    07-17-09 09:23 AM
    But my spefific issue is not the dumping of one to all e-mail, SMS, etc into the folder but the spefific issue dumping the missed calls with the e-mails.

While I don't think the combining all e-mail accounts is required, that is something I would learn to live with.

I think it is very time consuming and completely unnessarcy to have to search through a few to several to many e-mails/sms/other to find out who called you.

You can keep your missed calls out of the messages folder by:

Pressing the Green Button,

Menu/Options,

Select Call Logging,

Select None (Show These Call Log Types In Message List)

---------------

I like everything dumped into Messages too, except my call log, which I can readily access by pressing the Green button.
    07-17-09 10:17 AM

You can remove having mixed calls show up in this folder and only show up in the call log.

You can remove FB updates from this folder and only show up on FB.

You can remove Gtalk and BBM chats from this folder and only show up in the respective programs.

You can combine all your email accounts into this one folder instead of looking at individual account folders if you choose.

You can set up your Messages folder so that you ONLY get emails in it.

Keyword here is CAN, this is why this folder is so convenient and versatile...stop being so flustered, learn to use your phone and ask for help.
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 07-17-09 at 10:29 AM.
    07-17-09 10:22 AM
    thanks for the mentioning of the "dial from home screen option" didn't know about this and have just turned it off. have a feeling it will prevent un-expected dialing of numbers. plus having access to more shortcuts is always a plus!

as for the messages folder, i'd much rather have my SMS, emails, BBM, etc. go into one folder than having to constantly bounce between individual folders. i've turned off call logging because that is unnecessary and makes to much clutter. once you really understand the extensibility of your BB you will love the features at your finger tips
    07-17-09 10:30 AM

Everyone has their own preference, but have you noticed that while the Messages folder can get very big, all unread messages are bold, so that you can easily tell when you have to stop scrolling down?
    07-17-09 10:30 AM
    One problem many Windows Mobile Users have is, you can add Outlook users too, they are expecting information being in one place at one time. In this paradigm its impossible for information to be in two places at once.... they dont initially get it, some never do.

With BB you have the flexibility of having information appearing in different places at the same time... BB isnt locked into the "only one place, one folder mentality" that Windows Mobile forces people into.

Many Outlook users hate Gmail because they cant get past or understand the power of Labels vs Folders. I can have an email in my Receipts Label and Orders Label at the same time... cant happen in OL.

WM users... give it some time.. learn your phone ... and be patient. If you do so, I believe you will be richly rewarded for your time and patience.
    07-17-09 10:34 AM
    I used to hate having everything dumped into my messages app but as I started to use the blackberry more I began to realize how convenient it is. If you want to keep it separate and only use it for email then you can go into options and select email/sms separate. You can also go into your bbm options and select to not have your bbm conversations show up in the message list.

I love the ability to hit my left convenience key and get to the message I just received no matter what it is.

07-17-09 10:35 AM
    I prefer to keep it all seperate. Each email address has it's own folder, sms/mms, and bbm to keep things nice and organized.
    07-17-09 10:36 AM
    I just wish there was a Twitter app that gave me an icon when I received an update, just like for email, gtalk, aim, text, bbm...

And Yatca defeats the purpose of an EMAIL only Messages folder lol.
    07-17-09 10:40 AM
    I prefer to keep it all seperate. Each email address has it's own folder, sms/mms, and bbm to keep things nice and organized.
    I dont know if you are new to Blackberry or not, but if you are new, I bet if you tried combined messaging (without call logging) for a week, you wont go back.

JMO though... its ok if you dont.
    07-17-09 10:44 AM
    I dont know if you are new to Blackberry or not, but if you are new, I bet if you tried combined messaging (without call logging) for a week, you wont go back.

JMO though... its ok if you dont.

I get a lot of emails and each email serves a specific purpose. Keeping them separate makes it exponentially easier to focus on one thing at a time as I reply or simply keep up to date on the topic at hand without having to open email, scroll down 10, read the next relevant one, etc etc.
    07-17-09 10:47 AM
    Ya-- I came from Windows Mobile, and I love the folder. In fact, when I set the phone up, I moved all those extra email account folders to my front screen before I realized they would be combined. Three are still up there, I do not know what to replace them with....but I guess I can hide those.
    07-17-09 10:47 AM
    The man thing is PIN messages go there and only there.
    07-17-09 10:48 AM
    It is annoying that pin messages still go into the messages folder if you have things separated. I have the email and sms separate and messages folder hidden so when I get a pin I have to go through the trouble of unhiding the messages folder to get to that pin message.

07-17-09 10:51 AM
    The main thing is PIN messages go there and only there.
    I can open BBM and see my PIN messages.
    07-17-09 10:52 AM
    Incorrect.

A pin message is sent in a e-mail form. BBM is a instant messaging client using your pin.
    whats the point of a pin message? i see it comes in red? not sure what its about though.. thanks
    07-17-09 10:54 AM
    It is annoying that pin messages still go into the messages folder if you have things separated. I have the email and sms separate and messages folder hidden so when I get a pin I have to go through the trouble of unhiding the messages folder to get to that pin message.

Why not just open the Blackberry Messenger app? do you have that hidden too?
    07-17-09 10:54 AM
    whats the point of a pin message? i see it comes in red? not sure what its about though.. thanks
    A PIN message is sent only from Blackberry to Blackberry.

Its free, even international.

You can send, text, photos, video, voicemessages, files.
    07-17-09 10:56 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD