So from January to May I'm going to be in Rome, and doing a lot of weekend traveling throughout Europe, probably hitting a lot of Eastern Europe and as far west as France and Spain.

I have a Verizon Tour, which is supposed to be quad band or whatever. What's my best bet in terms of international calling and data services? Should I unlock my bb and just get prepaid sim cards in Europe, or pay Verizon's ridiculous international rates (1.99/minute)? If I do get a sim card, will my data still work over there, at 3g speeds?

Anway, if anyone can think of any combination of things to keep my data and voice, at the cheapest price possible, let me know!
    12-24-09 07:36 PM
    i would recommend unlocking your phone and buying pre-paid sim cards. I believe you can even order vondaphone ones online, but really you need todo a bit of research about the available services in the areas you will be.

the other option is to get an international calling app on your phone, where it basically works like a prepaid plan to a 3rd party calling company.... i should have done this when i was in brazil, most of the time you get much better rates from them, but one again this requires a but of research looking at every single cost that could be charged to you using each situation..... they are phone companies right....

good luck
    12-24-09 09:14 PM
    and depending on coverage you should get data, it just all depends what frequencies and technologies certain carriers use and how your phone matches up... but watch out for roaming data prices to... in brazil they got up to 5 cents a kb
    12-24-09 09:19 PM
    the other option is to get an international calling app on your phone, where it basically works like a prepaid plan to a 3rd party calling company....
    What sort of apps you referring to mate?
    12-25-09 06:52 AM
    What theme will you be using?
    12-25-09 09:47 AM
    I think someone moved this to the wrong subforum!!!

Verizon's Global plan provides UNlimited data for $69/month and while in effect, replaces your normal (bis $29/month) plan, so an extra $40/month and they will prorate for partial periods.

But, yes, calls are $1.99 minute in/out and to/from US (for Western Europe - you might explore if higher elsewhere). But you keep your US number.

I have read various threads on whether DATA is available on some of the foreign simcards. I read that one sim card requires to you call a sort of 3rd phone number, connect and then it will call your intended number - cheap but maybe complex. With any foreign sim, you wind up with a different phone number.

Some folks swap sim cards.
    12-25-09 09:52 AM
    there are a few i have seen such as MobileGlobe...

What sort of apps you referring to mate?
    12-25-09 07:20 PM
    Yeah check these guys out... seems reputable.

European SIM Cards
    12-31-09 12:08 AM
    This thead is NOT about THEMES. Please move it.

Thanks
    12-31-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD