Hey all the pictures I take on my tour get a yellowish finish glaze to them. It looks awful does anyone know what is causing this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 08:33 PM
    try changing your white balance setting.
    07-22-09 08:37 PM
    Did u take the protective sticker off the back of your phone? Sounds trivial, I know...

07-22-09 09:00 PM
    Did u take the protective sticker off the back of your phone? Sounds trivial, I know...

this

mine was the same way until i took the flim off

its the flash reflecting back into the lens due to the film.
    07-22-09 09:16 PM
    I will try this. Thanks

07-22-09 09:17 PM
    Nope still yellow think its the phone will try a swap

07-22-09 10:07 PM
    You mean to tell me you left the protective cover on the entire time? Look-you don't need to swap your phone in for a new one. You just need to learn how to use the camera correctly. Try taking some photos in well-lit areas, and some photos in dark areas with the flash. Come back and post them here - and we will let you know how to proceed. Sound good? Too many people are swapping their phones in for new ones for no reason...it amazes me that the reps at sprint/vzw aren't smarter than that...

Nope still yellow think its the phone will try a swap

07-22-09 11:43 PM
    I know this is an old thread but it came up in my search for the exact same question I had too!

My pictures sometimes have a dark yellow tint too. Even though I have had the Tour for about a month now I've been trying to isolate when it takes a dark yellow pic.

We can get beyond the film left on answer and maybe someone can come up with a more constructive answer for those of us that have the same issue.

Typical of the OP to just disappear and not post samples as suggested. They probably left the film on!

I have the flash set to always on. 80% of the time the pics are great indoors and out. But 20% of the time they come out yellow and dark even though the flash is on.

I thought I had the answer as being too close. Example, I can take a pic of say a food on my plate presentation and sometimes it exposes perfect and the next pic is yellow. I tried moving back a little and zooming in and thought that I had solved this issue, but that works sometimes and other times still comes out yellow.

I can't post samples yet because I've deleted all the dark ones as I take them!

Anyone else experience this same issue?

Note: as I look at the camera and flash under a lighted magnifyer I see some bits of fine sand under the flash lense and it's flush with the phone. But the camera lens is not flush and is a recessed hole. Is this indicative of the film being still on? I picked at the edges with the corner of a razor blade but don't want to damage the phone if the film is really off???
    Last edited by expidia; 08-29-09 at 08:55 AM.
    08-29-09 08:41 AM
    There's a little tab to pull the film off of the camera, it is quite noticeable.

I think playing with the white balance settings as suggested is your best option.

I think it is a good idea though for everyone to keep in mind that these are camera phones, not professional cameras

08-29-09 09:02 AM
    Wow...no **** there's a tab to pull off the protective covering. Sigh.

As far as the yellow tint is concerned - I've been trying to get to the root of this issue as well. I've notived if I turn the video camera on, and point the cam at a white wall on a bright sunny day, the cam will visibly tint on the screen from yellow to blue. to me, it appears that the tint is applied based on the level of light the cam thinks is available. Here's a photo of myself that I took outside at night - yellow tint.

Here's a photo I took in broad daylight-came out perfect.

08-29-09 10:51 AM
    @mconk if I wasn't in a thread about yellow tinted photos, I'd recommend you go to the doctor and get tested for jaundice. lol
    08-29-09 11:20 AM
    mconk, ur tour's camera is just saying u should be animated as a simpson's character

My tour doesn't have the yellowish tint to indoor pics with flash on (all my settings are default by the way) - my htc mogul and htc touch pro had the same tint to the pics it took - it could possibly be a hardware defect

08-29-09 11:24 AM
    it's a lighting issue. give a crappy photographer a crappy camera and they are happy with their crappy photos.

We have a decent camera now. We have to learn how to take decent photos. It's not the phone . . . It's the person holding it.
    08-29-09 11:33 AM
    I've had the same issue with my Storm. Since it's a phone camera, it's much slower than most regular digital cameras and needs more time to think, lol. Hold down the button half way until the camera catches up, then press it down the rest of the way.

I did a test on my Storm by shooting as fast as it could process, every other photo had the wrong white balance. These cameras are not meant for fast shutter speed, they're like 1 FPM, lol. Hope this helps.
    08-29-09 11:52 AM
    Thx for the replies. The camera actually takes great pics 95% of the time, especially since it has a flash. I don't find the need to tote around a digital camera anymore when on weekend outings.

Fiddling around with the white balance is not an option for me. When I did they came out with a blue tint. I need it on auto. I know it's not a quality type replacement for a camera, but I only want it for point and shoot for a few quick pics on the go.

Outside are fine. Inside it's hit or miss for the yellow glaze!
    08-29-09 11:52 AM
    The answer is simple; It's a freaking cell phone camera! The pics aren't going to be perfect all the time. We should be happy that it takes great pictures most of the time.

If you want decent pictures all of the time, go out and spend another $200 on a point and shoot digital camera.
    08-29-09 03:06 PM
    You mean to tell me you left the protective cover on the entire time? Look-you don't need to swap your phone in for a new one. You just need to learn how to use the camera correctly. Try taking some photos in well-lit areas, and some photos in dark areas with the flash. Come back and post them here - and we will let you know how to proceed. Sound good? Too many people are swapping their phones in for new ones for no reason...it amazes me that the reps at sprint/vzw aren't smarter than that...

Thank you for the "constructive" comments.

Anyway, to answer everyone's question, the yellowish tint that you are seeing is because RIM has two different screens for the tour. There is a yellowish tint screen and a blueish tint screen. I noticed this with the tour, storm, curve etc. I finally pin pointed this after seeing two different curve screens, two different storm screens and the same for the tour. If you upload the pictures taken from the storm to the computer, you should not see the yellowish tint if viewing the picture on another device or screen.

Its a crap-shoot as to what screen you get as both plants (Canada and Mexico) use both screens. From what I have researched normally the phone launches more with the blueish tint screen, then it gets switched over to the yellowish screen later on.
    08-29-09 03:17 PM
    The answer is simple; It's a freaking cell phone camera! The pics aren't going to be perfect all the time. We should be happy that it takes great pictures most of the time.

If you want decent pictures all of the time, go out and spend another $200 on a point and shoot digital camera.
    Wow, I can't wait to read your next 69 posts and how much they will enlighten us all.

I guess you have nothing better to do with your time than cruise the threads and jump in with a few intelligent remarks?

Why don't you go and visit the trackball issue thread or the battery thread or maybe the "I'm returning my Tour" thread and enlighten them?
    Last edited by expidia; 08-29-09 at 05:18 PM.
    08-29-09 05:12 PM
    I'm guessing that it might have something to do with the white balance as others have said. I noticed when I looked back at a few pics that I still had on the card which were yellow that the ones I took of a food presentation each plate had a white edge and that might be throwing off the sensor.

I really don't want to screw around with settings each time I take a pic that's why I leave the flash on auto and was hoping if I stepped back a little and then zoomed in it might eliminate the yellow.
    08-29-09 05:17 PM
    The storm had a better flash. I was going to post something about this, but glad someone brought it up again.

Storm:

Tour:
    08-29-09 05:44 PM
    Try that same pic without the white laptop screen reflecting back at the Tour. . . . Cute Kitty!
    08-29-09 05:52 PM
    Try that same pic without the white laptop screen reflecting back at the Tour. . . . Cute Kitty!
    I can only test with the Tour because my boyfriend has the Storm now. But here is the same area with the laptop closed.

Also, when I took a picture of myself, I looked at the LED when it flashed, and it is more yellow than the Storm. So it's the LED, not the software.

Here is with the laptop closed. If you see the desk, it still is yellowish.
    08-29-09 07:16 PM
    Thx for taking that pic. Yep, the color of your desk is definitely yellow as compared to the Storm pic.

If I look at the flash through a lighted magnifier the unlit LED is yellow and is surrounded by a pinkish yellowish reflector.

On mine it looks like fine bits of sand (from keeping it in my pocket) gets in through the slot in the top and has specked up a little from the inside the flashes lens too!

I'll play around with the color balance, but it seems to only do it sporadically?

I don't buy that other posters explanation of the two screens because most of the time the pics are great. But I do thank the OP for their input
    08-29-09 09:45 PM
    I found some samples: I'm a chef, hence the food pics!

First two are fine but the third is the yellow glazed indoor result. Adjusting white balance may not be the answer,, because most others indooors come out fine with the flash and adjusting the white balance would throw all the others off.

I wish I could isolate when and why it takes the Yellowish pics because it's a great camera and flash as compared to my last PDA the Treo 755 with no flash and it's puny 1.3 megapixel camera.

Great-outdoor

Great-indoor of a Mohito

Bad- Chix Terracki, Green Noodles not so green, Chicken wrong color, green salad pretty sick looking!

Great . . the way things should look!

Bad . . . I don't remember if this was fish or meat . . . and that's bad!
    Last edited by expidia; 08-30-09 at 12:47 PM.
    08-30-09 12:11 PM
    Hello all,
    I just received a BB tour, Verizon and all the photo's have a yellow tint. My BB Curve did not have this problem. I had to replace to curve for after 1.5 years, it had 'issues' re: not charging (pin problem).

I am not happy re: the photo's it takes. esp compared to the 'lower megapixel' curve.

I have messed with the white balance, but that is not an option when the 'auto' mode should work fine. I have not read a 'fix' here re: this problem(??)

Thanks!

Mike
    10-22-09 09:34 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD