Since my Tour fell (in leather case) and exposed corner got pinged on concrete within 5 hours of walking out VZW door, I'd love a wrist strap as extra safety measure in addition to the case I have till I get a better one. I see Crackberry is selling some and Tour is a compatible phone mentioned.

I have a couple spares from prior phones.
    I see the side hole in the review that was probably noted as for strap placement. (Left side, near the top).

But how do you attach it? I can't find any instrucions anywhere yet, in Tour manual or googling. I'd be grateful is someone can help with this!
    07-13-09 08:21 AM
    lol well im assuming its the same as any other wrist strap attachment:

1) Stick the entire loop from the wrist strap into the hole and have it come out the other end.

2) Open up the end of the loop that you just pushed through to make the hole spread out.

3) Grab the other end of the wrist strap (the part that goes around your wrist), and pass it through the hole you just opened up in 2.

4) Pull it through and taught, and you should be good to go.
    07-13-09 08:29 AM
    did your parents have to tie the balloon on your arm
    07-13-09 08:45 AM
    I believe that hole you are referring to that is up near the top of the phone by the speaker is a microphone for noise cancellation.

Don't want to go jabbing stuff in there!

If you have a silicone case on the phone, you could just cut 2 very small holes and thread your strap through as you would with a phone that is made for a wrist strap. I'm not sure how it would hold up over time, but it might work.

Good luck.

Jamie
    07-13-09 09:14 AM
    No parafly, no balloons tied to my arm. If you'll check out the thread about having it 5 hours and damage from an accidental drop onto concrete (while in a case), you'll see that's me. And it made me sick. I had to pay over $350 for this phone and I am not about to risk another drop till I can get a decent case on this thing. I'm sure you understand.

OK, it's not typical wrist strap install. (Thanks thanan, but if done in the usual way of most cell phones the battery door won't shut.)

Instructions below for anyone interested.
    It ain't so sexy, but then I'm going for function over form here.
    So if you don't want that phone slipping away till you can get some decent protection, the wrist strap will do the trick.

This only works with wrist straps that have strings loops on the ends, not hooks or clasps.

• [1] Remove battery cover
      [2] Remove battery
      [3] With back of phone still facing you, there is a small hole on the right side near where top of battery compartment is.
      [4] You'll see a little square plastic hook located at the inside edge of the battery compartment, adjacent to where the hole is located on the outer side of the phone.
      [5]You have to thread the string loop of the strap through the hole from the outside, and work it up and over that little square plastic hook on the inside.
      [6]My string was loose and flexible and hard to thread through the hole and then up and over that hook. So I first tried a plastic twistie (such as USB cord is wrapped with). Didn't want to scratch exterior of phone. That didn't work, couldn't get the string to pull through the end, not enough room for string and twistie both in that space.
      [7]So I got the string started through the hole, then gently (so not to scratch the phone) took an opened paperclip and nudged the string up on through till it was high enough I could get hold of it, pull it on through & loop it over that little plastic hook.
      [8]Done, and battery door closes no problem.
    07-13-09 09:38 AM
    Haha, at first reading this post, I'm thinking "Is this chick nuts? Wrist straps should be insanely easy... easier than shoe tying!"

I had no idea the process could be made so complex... lol. Glad you got it figured out! I get my Tour tomorrow morning in the mail, and I PRAY I don't drop it, EVER!
    07-13-09 10:04 AM
    Thanks Molsem, it was so disheartening when it fell on the concrete.
    No doubt you're counting down the hours now till your Tour arrives. The most difficult part of the wait! But it will be worth it, I think you're going to really like the Tour!
    07-13-09 10:29 AM
    Man that sucks. I really dont understand why RIM stoped including a leather holster with BB's. When I bought my Storm, I immediately bought a holster, and it saved me many times. I noticed that the holsters offered for the Tour are not specific to the device, and most actually look like a small purse wallet-not for guys.

Does anyone know if the Tour would be put in sleep mode when holstered?
    07-13-09 10:38 AM
    I would love to find a holster just like the one that the curve came with for the Tour. I get mine tomorrow and i guess i'll have to be very careful with it until I can get a proper case.
    07-13-09 10:39 AM
    lol well im assuming its the same as any other wrist strap attachment:

1) Stick the entire loop from the wrist strap into the hole and have it come out the other end.

2) Open up the end of the loop that you just pushed through to make the hole spread out.

3) Grab the other end of the wrist strap (the part that goes around your wrist), and pass it through the hole you just opened up in 2.

4) Pull it through and taught, and you should be good to go.
    You forgot the step that keeps the phone from bashing the concrete.
    5) put your hand/wrist through the strap loop and hold on to BB for dear life.
    07-13-09 10:57 AM
    You forgot the step that keeps the phone from bashing the concrete.
    5) put your hand/wrist through the strap loop and hold on to BB for dear life.
    Ah, the most critical step of all! Thank you!
    Actually the Tour comes with a very nice leather case (nicer than Curve had, and Storm IIRC). Completely encloses it except for magnetic flap at top which leaves top corners exposed. And when mine hit the concrete, it was the exposed corner that took the hit. Figures.
    07-13-09 12:34 PM
    If the banged up phone is really bugging you a lot for $12 you can replace the bezel.
    If you or a friend is mechanically inclined. Looks like too much work for me.
    07-13-09 03:16 PM
    WOW totally love you right now. I was trying to attach one of my charms but didn't know how the nook worked. THanks a bunch!
    09-08-09 01:40 AM
    Man that sucks. I really dont understand why RIM stoped including a leather holster with BB's. When I bought my Storm, I immediately bought a holster, and it saved me many times. I noticed that the holsters offered for the Tour are not specific to the device, and most actually look like a small purse wallet-not for guys.

Does anyone know if the Tour would be put in sleep mode when holstered?
    -- I'm using my Curve holster for my new Tour because I can't use the rubber/plastic cases with the desktop charging pod. But I DO use the Zagg Invisible Shield on the display -- $15 - but worth every penny.
    09-08-09 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD