I had to come out and post this...because honestly, I have never, EVER been able to establish a connection as fast as I have today, while tethering to a BlackBerry via BT. I am VERY, VERY thoroughly impressed here!

Below, I have posted some snapshots of a couple bandwidth tests that I performed at various websites. I have also attached a snapshot of a test file that I downloaded from Apple's server just now. Almost reached 100k/sec while downloading. It peaked around 96k/sec. (!)

The 8830WE that I replaced with my new Tour would usually cap out around 26k/sec at any given site (on my MacBook Pro) when downloading small files here and there. Looking back at my screenshots of bandwidth tests with the 8830WE, it looks like I would usually only obtain a connection speed of approx. 200-300 kbps, which is a download speed of 20-30k/sec generally speaking.

Here, with the Tour, as you can see below, I've capped out around 800-900kbps...amost reaching 1MB. WOW! You may be thinking, "Well my cable line can download at 5-10MB/sec..big deal" For a phone, to be tethering over BT at this speed, this (to me) is pretty big deal.

I don't know if this will be a surprise to anyone else, but it sure as heck was to me...as this is the first time I have needed to tether with the Tour (the WIFI blanket at my moms apartment is down for some odd reason) so I figured I would setup a quick BT connection on her 13" MacBook to get her online while I am here visiting.

I would like to see some other results with the Tour - if anyone else is willing to share. In your post, please include your location (if you wish), your carrier, computer specs(can be general), and if you aren't using the Tour, then include your phone model. Since this is the Tour thread...i'd like to obviously see Tour results here.

Thanks guys!
    BTW: I am in Albany, NY

EDIT: I am going to test out TetherBerry later on and post follow up results. Obviously BT is limited in throughput ... with a USB cable connected, I am very curious to see the results. Using TetherBerry with my 8830WE didn't produce any better results than tethering via BT in my previous trials. -- I also wanted to mention, PLEASE do not post questions on HOW to tether on a Mac, or how to tether period. These questions have been answered time and time again on the forums - please utilize the SEARCH button!! If, and only if after searching you cannot find your answer, please PM me (or BBM 30BB94A6) and I will direct you to the appropriate forum. Thanks --

Last edited by mconk; 07-22-09 at 09:52 PM.
    07-22-09 06:02 PM
    Yeah, the Tour has BT 2.0+EDR which is what is giving you those great speeds. I haven't tried to tether mine yet... Kind of nervous to because if its faster than my U760 data card I'm going to feel like an ***** for signing a 2 year contract for it...
    07-22-09 06:04 PM
    Haha...I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being neck and neck...

With BT 2.0 and EDR, (correct me if I am wrong) the throughout is 2.1MB/sec? To be tethering at close to 1MB/sec, using a BlackBerry is pretty impressive if you ask me...

When you get around to it, post your results - I am curious to see what the rest of the country/carriers results look like with the Tour.

In the apartment complex here (more like a community of buildings) the entire development is under WiFi cloud provided by a company called WiFiFee. For some ungodly reason, even though there is a repeater on top of the building right next to us (literally 50 feet from the front door...facing the door), the signal in here throughout the entire floor is pretty dismal at times. At any given time, theres only like 500-800kbps of bandwidth pumping through here. Obviously there are 100 or more people hitting the network at once, but even still...its nowhere near the speed of a dedicated cable line. At some point I am going to have to install one in here and give up my hard earned $$ to TWC, as reluctant as I am to do so...

I do find it funny still that I can tether faster than the free WiFi service thats provided here. On the other hand, if I walk up to the clubhouse (since noone is ever using that network) I can reach speeds of 4MB/s...heh. Oh well, back to the topic at hand...lets see some Tour tethering screenshots!!!!

Yeah, the Tour has BT 2.0+EDR which is what is giving you those great speeds. I haven't tried to tether mine yet... Kind of nervous to because if its faster than my U760 data card I'm going to feel like an ***** for signing a 2 year contract for it...
    Last edited by mconk; 07-22-09 at 08:55 PM.
    07-22-09 06:53 PM
    How exactly would I tether? I use to have a moto q 9c and I would use my usb port and use the option "internet sharing" and I'm wondering how would I tether.. Some body plese explain the steps! Or PM me plsss

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 08:12 PM
    In the area I am in my connection maxes out at ~300k so its not much of a test unfortunately. But it gets the job done in a pinch.
    07-22-09 08:19 PM
    How exactly would I tether? I use to have a moto q 9c and I would use my usb port and use the option "internet sharing" and I'm wondering how would I tether.. Some body plese explain the steps! Or PM me plsss

Ditto. A tutorial for the noobs would be nice.

07-22-09 08:27 PM

EDIT: I am going to test out TetherBerry later on and post follow up results. Obviously BT is limited in throughput ... with a USB cable connected, I am very curious to see the results. Using TetherBerry with my 8830WE didn't produce any better results than tethering via BT in my previous trials. -- I also wanted to mention, PLEASE do not post questions on HOW to tether on a Mac, or how to tether period. These questions have been answered time and time again on the forums - please utilize the SEARCH button!! If, and only if after searching you cannot find your answer, please PM me (or BBM 30BB94A6) and I will direct you to the appropriate forum. Thanks --
    Guys? He nicely requested we do not ask how to do this in this thread.........
    07-22-09 08:46 PM

Man that rocks!
    07-22-09 09:19 PM
    Whaaaaaaaattt!!!!!!! Nice! Where are you located/provider/computer details...also, BT or USB? And do you remember your speeds on your previous BB?

Man that rocks!
    07-22-09 09:42 PM
    Whaaaaaaaattt!!!!!!! Nice! Where are you located/provider/computer details...also, BT or USB? And do you remember your speeds on your previous BB?

Knoxville, TN Dell XPS Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHZ, using USB
    Previous best were 1/3 of these speeds and uploads were half as fast
    07-22-09 09:47 PM
    Ditto...so it looks like a dramatic improvement all across the board then...excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Knoxville, TN Dell XPS Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHZ, using USB
    Previous best were 1/3 of these speeds and uploads were half as fast
    07-22-09 09:53 PM

LOL! this is my home internet... It is only 19.99 a month though
    07-22-09 09:57 PM

I would shoot someone if that was my home internet.

My Comcast is 20/4. lol
    07-22-09 09:59 PM
    Ditto...so it looks like a dramatic improvement all across the board then...excellent! Thanks for sharing.
    Agreed. Now I just have to be careful not to go over my limit
    07-22-09 09:59 PM
    Verizon tethering over BT on my Macbook Pro. If I tether via usb I consistently get between 2MB and 2.5MB. These results were similar on my storm.

:
    07-22-09 10:24 PM
    Wow - Sounds like this is super fast! Im excited by my lazy 0.3Mpbs, I used to get over 600kbps on my Env, but with sharkmodem over BT I was only getting 150-300kbps. but that was a curve and over BT.
    Now with Tetherberry im getting much better throughput, and it seems like around 600kbps, with USB. the Dev said he can release BT but is afraid the speed would suffer, but it doesnt sound like it would with the 2.0+ =D
    07-22-09 10:30 PM

whoa...
    07-22-09 10:32 PM
    We need some more Sprint people posting their speeds. So far Sprint is getting owned by VZ in speeds...
    07-22-09 10:39 PM
    Lol...what are you on, a T1? corporate lan? I'd kill for those speeds in my house!

Edit: I see the isp is vzw...I know residential fios isint that fast yet!
    Edit2: or did u pshop that zero in ? your image is suspiciously pixelated!

whoa...
    Last edited by mconk; 07-22-09 at 11:22 PM.
    07-22-09 11:16 PM
    Straight from the phonee

07-22-09 11:57 PM
    I don't have the Tour yet, but when I had the instinct in upstate NY I was getting 1.4 MB/s consistently (Sprint)
    07-23-09 07:41 AM
    Can someone direct me towards a thread on "How to" teether on a Sprint 9630?

07-23-09 08:38 AM
    Uhh....that's impossoble? Heh..

Straight from the phonee

07-23-09 08:42 AM

yes its impossible.. and its not even apr 1..

e.g. here is results from my laptop, home wireless network, linksys router and comcast cable... and my Berry is sitting on the sofa not even turned on!...

Uhh....that's impossoble? Heh..

Last edited by mystic205; 07-23-09 at 09:00 AM.
    07-23-09 08:50 AM
    are you guys using verizon's tethering plan or some other non-Verizon application?
    07-23-09 09:19 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD