Hello all,

I've used Blackberries in the past (Curve 8330 and 8530) and I'm sick of using my Samsung Zeal. I found a used Tour online for $100 and was wondering if you all thought it'd be worth the price. Do you guys have problems finding apps that don't require BB6 and whatnot?

Any input would be nice.

Thanks again,
    RobotSongBird
    10-29-11 07:34 PM
    I have a tour and have had no trouble with it but many have had trouble with the trackball and other things. I'm not sure if getting a used one would get you a good one. I would think you could find a 9650 bold cheap too.
    10-29-11 07:44 PM
    I'm a huge BlackBerry fan and love my Bold 9930 and my Playbook but man, I just can't recommend a Tour. I'm sorry if I offend someone but that device is not a device that is competitive with anything out there today.
    Before the OS7 devices came out, I never recommended BlackBerry, even though I had one myself. However, since the Torch1 came out and especially since the OS7 devices came out, that is all I recommend to my friends.
    If budgetary considerations are an issue I would suggest the Torch2, now that is an awesome phone and it is a screaming good deal at $49.99. By the way, I saw, and posted, a display at Target in Portland Oregon for 29.99. Also the Torch 9850 has a beautiful 3.7" screen and is on sale at Verizon for about 99 bucks.

Bottom line, I don't think the Tour will best serve you today. Even the new, entry level Curves with OS7, are clocking far above that with their 800Mhz processors and you can still buy a Torch 1 with 640Mhz for 1 penny.

Lastly, the OS7 phones, Playbook and future BB-X phones are in line to benefit from the awesome tools BlackBerry is providing developers using HTML5 and I don't believe the Tour will benefit from this though I'm not 100% certain on this issue.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-29-11 at 08:07 PM.
    10-29-11 08:03 PM
    It depends on what your expectations are. I don't know if you'll find a better price off contract. The Tour is functional but has been superseded by other models. I have both the Tour 9630 and the Bold 9650 but use the 9650 exclusively. As for apps that don't need BB6, some app vendors retain OS5 versions of their software.
    10-29-11 08:36 PM
    I wouldn't spend more that $75 for a Tour. You would be better off if you could find a 9650 (Bold) that you can afford.
    10-29-11 08:40 PM
    Also the tour doesn't have wifi if that is important to you. Depending on what carrier/band the tour will work but will only get edge on certain ones if you are on a gsm network.
    10-29-11 08:40 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not looking for anything competitive, I was just wondering if you all thought it would be functional for a few months.

But you've all given me some things to consider.
    10-30-11 12:30 PM
    I wouldn't spend more that $75 for a Tour. You would be better off if you could find a 9650 (Bold) that you can afford.
    While I've looked for a Bold and couldn't find one, I think I should mention that after selling the phone the Tour will/might be replacing the final cost to me will only be about $30. That and I'm only going to be using it until January.
    10-30-11 12:34 PM
    Thanks again everyone. After taking into consideration everything you've said I was able to haggle a Blackberry Bold down to $100. It isn't in perfect shape, but it only has to make it a few months
    10-30-11 07:03 PM
    Hello all,

I've used Blackberries in the past (Curve 8330 and 8530) and I'm sick of using my Samsung Zeal. I found a used Tour online for $100 and was wondering if you all thought it'd be worth the price. Do you guys have problems finding apps that don't require BB6 and whatnot?

Any input would be nice.

Thanks again,
    RobotSongBird
    Honestly, given what's out there now, don't. Not because it's a junk device but...

As a tour owner the cons are obvious compared to any of the higher models out there. It's a good phone but you can do better considering what's out there now.

So problems....
    -trackball issues - although mine has been flawless until lately (2 1/2 year good service)
    -no Wifi, not a deal breaker but it really tough to swallow after the 9650 came out.
    -dust can accumulate in the flash light making it a lot less effective
    -slower components
    -awkward headphone jack placement. After the first year I became resigned to it
    -Old OS which is a BIG problem if you have or intend to get a playbook. No BBBridge capability. (Still got one anyways)

With a little savvy you can find at least a 9700 for $120 on craigslist, here in Toronto that is.
    11-07-11 10:47 AM
    Honestly, given what's out there now, don't. Not because it's a junk device but...

As a tour owner the cons are obvious compared to any of the higher models out there. It's a good phone but you can do better considering what's out there now.

So problems....
    -trackball issues - although mine has been flawless until lately (2 1/2 year good service)
    -no Wifi, not a deal breaker but it really tough to swallow after the 9650 came out.
    -dust can accumulate in the flash light making it a lot less effective
    -slower components
    -awkward headphone jack placement. After the first year I became resigned to it
    -Old OS which is a BIG problem if you have or intend to get a playbook. No BBBridge capability. (Still got one anyways)

With a little savvy you can find at least a 9700 for $120 on craigslist, here in Toronto that is.
    There is a BBBridge to Playbook tablet capabilities in the Tour. You just need to upgrade the OS.
    12-02-11 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD