No because your using it as POP mail. Keep in mind that it won't be 100% instant push i normally have about an average of 8 min delay. Some days it's less than a min and some its upwards of 15min.
    08-04-09 12:44 PM
    No because your using it as POP mail. Keep in mind that it won't be 100% instant push i normally have about an average of 8 min delay. Some days it's less than a min and some its upwards of 15min.
    A few emails took 2 minutes, then one still hasn't shown up. Honestly, I really don't have to have the work email on the phone, but its nice to have it.
    08-04-09 12:58 PM
    I just got my BB and thought I had to go through the IT people too (it was a major *uck fest when i tried with my old WinMo device) but just for ****s/giggles I put in my email address and password on my tour as I would for any other email and damnit if it does work. Is there a difference than if i WENT to the IT people and had them do it, or this is via POP mail (as previous poster) and the other way is with an exchange server way as it woulda been on my WinMo device (a more direct conection)? TIA
    08-04-09 12:59 PM
    Just an FYI -

The IT department isn't allowing you to do because of the HUGE security hole it creates. Most companies will consider this grounds for dismissal if they ever found out about it. Especially if you were already told no once.
    08-04-09 01:04 PM
    Just an FYI -

The IT department isn't allowing you to do because of the HUGE security hole it creates. Most companies will consider this grounds for dismissal if they ever found out about it. Especially if you were already told no once.
    The 'hugeness' of this security hole is easily debatable. The fact that OWA is being used at all is the main security hole.
    08-04-09 01:07 PM
    The 'hugeness' of this security hole is easily debatable. The fact that OWA is being used at all is the main security hole.
    No its not debatable in the least.

They can't control if you phone password locks and they can't remotely wipe it. They also can't stop you from potentially installing malicious software.

So if you lose it or its stolen then EVERYTHING in your e-mail goes with it as well as anything pertaining to the company you have on it (documents, pdfs, Etc).

OWA requires YOU to login to it every time. So its no comparison.

Thanks for playing.
    08-04-09 01:10 PM

ftr, i was never told i couldn't connect via OWA. I asked IT about connecting to the outlook calendar, and they said that i couldn't w/o a company issued BB. Otherwise, I would just be sharing all my BB info and essentially giving the company another BB server.
    08-04-09 01:10 PM
    I'll just leave this comment ... If I don't want people in my org getting their work e-mail on their non-company BlackBerry, it won't happen That being said, I'd be careful what you do against their policies!

Oh, and yes, I can tell:
    - If you're connecting your BB to OWA
    - If you're trying to connect to my BES and you're not a user
    - If you're trying to connect directly to exchange (POP and IMAP are disabled, anyways)
    Last edited by pi_admin; 08-04-09 at 01:30 PM.
    08-04-09 01:27 PM
    No its not debatable in the least.

They can't control if you phone password locks and they can't remotely wipe it. They also can't stop you from potentially installing malicious software.

So if you lose it or its stolen then EVERYTHING in your e-mail goes with it as well as anything pertaining to the company you have on it (documents, pdfs, Etc).

OWA requires YOU to login to it every time. So its no comparison.

Thanks for playing.
    I was trying to just leave a little comment about how most security policies in companies are completely backwards and are just to give people warm fuzzies, and didn't want to actually discuss it. But you had to add that 'thanks for playing' line in ... sigh ...

The point I was referring to was with OWA, people can still access their email from a personal laptop. THAT was the security hole I was referring to. Someone can be checking their email in a public place for all to see. What if they have their password remembered in their browser and their laptop stolen? Whoever stole it would have login credentials until the employee notified the company of this theft (which, honestly, how many average users would be savvy enough to think that a personal theft would cause a security risk at work?)

Or what if someone uses a third party mail client to connect to OWA on a personal laptop? Like Evolution? If it is set to download copies of all messages, what happens now? If the stolen laptop is not connected back to the Exchange server, then it cannot be remotely wiped.

And yes, ActiveSync enabled phones allow remote wiping of the data, but that assumes that once stolen, the phone's radio is left on. If someone is stealing your phone for the purpose of getting sensitive messages off of it, they will be able to if they are quick enough and know what they are doing.

I am not saying accessing OWA via BIS is any more secure than the above, I am just saying there is something intrinsically insecure about allowing this type of OWA setup.

I just don't like how a company (like mine) will block personal BB's from getting email, yet allow personal laptops, and ActiveSync enabled phones to continue to work.

This strays off topic those, so I will stop :x
    08-04-09 01:58 PM
    I was trying to just leave a little comment about how most security policies in companies are completely backwards and are just to give people warm fuzzies, and didn't want to actually discuss it. But you had to add that 'thanks for playing' line in ... sigh ...

The point I was referring to was with OWA, people can still access their email from a personal laptop. THAT was the security hole I was referring to. Someone can be checking their email in a public place for all to see. What if they have their password remembered in their browser and their laptop stolen? Whoever stole it would have login credentials until the employee notified the company of this theft (which, honestly, how many average users would be savvy enough to think that a personal theft would cause a security risk at work?)

Or what if someone uses a third party mail client to connect to OWA on a personal laptop? Like Evolution? If it is set to download copies of all messages, what happens now? If the stolen laptop is not connected back to the Exchange server, then it cannot be remotely wiped.

And yes, ActiveSync enabled phones allow remote wiping of the data, but that assumes that once stolen, the phone's radio is left on. If someone is stealing your phone for the purpose of getting sensitive messages off of it, they will be able to if they are quick enough and know what they are doing.

I am not saying accessing OWA via BIS is any more secure than the above, I am just saying there is something intrinsically insecure about allowing this type of OWA setup.

I just don't like how a company (like mine) will block personal BB's from getting email, yet allow personal laptops, and ActiveSync enabled phones to continue to work.

This strays off topic those, so I will stop :x
    I think you are missing the point.

When do you use OWA? When your at your computer or laptop? Great so that info stays there.

You put it on you phone and all of sudden you are carrying that info with you all the time. When you go to the store, the gas station, the mall, go out for drinks (get it yet?). Your laptop stays pretty much at home. People lose or have thier phones stolen MUCH more often than thier laptops. Period.

You allude to the fact that if a laptop is stolen they have unlimited access to everything. I would hope ANY admin would disable any accounts that laptop had access to.

Also, no computer should have unauthorized software on it. Thats why all users are admin and can't just install what ever they want. <- that alone makes most of your argument invalid.

Another point - OWA requires you to login every time you want to use (or at least it should). Where as if you had a bb with no password on that you lost and no way to remotely wipe it, then whom ever took can go through it at thier leisure.

As far as remotely wiping the device - that's exactly why it should be password protected.

So as I said before they are nowhere close and you shouldn't be comparing the two. You are also completely missing the point.

As a network engineer and Security adviser - I have seen people fired for this exact reason. Most employers require you to sign documents when you start and most of those packets include something with IT policies that you agree to adhere too. By circumventing the polices you are indirect violation of them - and can be fired.

Your company is wrong. Nothing personal should be allowed on the network period. Their security practices and methods obviously need to be scrutinized.

Again, thanks for playing.
    08-04-09 02:22 PM
    I think you are missing the point.

When do you use OWA? When your at your computer or laptop? Great so that info stays there.

You put it on you phone and all of sudden you are carrying that info with you all the time. When you go to the store, the gas station, the mall, go out for drinks (get it yet?). Your laptop stays pretty much at home. People lose or have thier phones stolen MUCH more often than thier laptops. Period.

You allude to the fact that if a laptop is stolen they have unlimited access to everything. I would hope ANY admin would disable any accounts that laptop had access to.

Also, no computer should have unauthorized software on it. Thats why all users are admin and can't just install what ever they want. <- that alone makes most of your argument invalid.

Another point - OWA requires you to login every time you want to use (or at least it should). Where as if you had a bb with no password on that you lost and no way to remotely wipe it, then whom ever took can go through it at thier leisure.

As far as remotely wiping the device - that's exactly why it should be password protected.

So as I said before they are nowhere close and you shouldn't be comparing the two. You are also completely missing the point.

As a network engineer and Security adviser - I have seen people fired for this exact reason. Most employers require you to sign documents when you start and most of those packets include something with IT policies that you agree to adhere too. By circumventing the polices you are indirect violation of them - and can be fired.

Your company is wrong. Nothing personal should be allowed on the network period. Their security practices and methods obviously need to be scrutinized.

Again, thanks for playing.
    Why again are you trying to fight me on this? We have some of the similar points. The last part of my post states pretty much what you are saying about personal devices (and my entire post was referring to personal devices.) If you allow them on the network, there goes most of your security. I've seen a few companies implement this 'no BIS email' policy for 'security reasons', and yet allow personal laptops to access email, and other personal devices to. It is a way for them to sound like they are implementing security features and make the suits feel like things are latched down.

And yes, circumventing any company policy could be grounds for termination.

Believe me, I know my company's policy isn't right. I don't work in that department so all I can do is complain about it

You are welcome for playing!
    08-04-09 02:37 PM
    Why again are you trying to fight me on this? We have some of the similar points. The last part of my post states pretty much what you are saying about personal devices (and my entire post was referring to personal devices.) If you allow them on the network, there goes most of your security. I've seen a few companies implement this 'no BIS email' policy for 'security reasons', and yet allow personal laptops to access email, and other personal devices to. It is a way for them to sound like they are implementing security features and make the suits feel like things are latched down.

And yes, circumventing any company policy could be grounds for termination.

Believe me, I know my company's policy isn't right. I don't work in that department so all I can do is complain about it

You are welcome for playing!
    All I did was point out what a large security risk it is and people could lose thier jobs. You interjected with information about your company, the security hole being debatable, and OWA.

I'm not trying to argue with you. You are just wrong. The two technologies are nowhere near comparable.

And if what you say is true about you company, I truly hope they don't have personal information about other people because they obviously don't care to protect thier data.
    08-04-09 02:47 PM
    All I did was point out what a large security risk it is and people could lose thier jobs. You interjected with information about your company, the security hole being debatable, and OWA.

I'm not trying to argue with you. You are just wrong. The two technologies are nowhere near comparable.

And if what you say is true about you company, I truly hope they don't have personal information about other people because they obviously don't care to protect thier data.
    Trying to discuss something on message boards is useless.

So I will just go with ...

Sure!
    08-04-09 02:50 PM
    gees guys/gals be cool. discussing whats right and wrong here is not going to get dst's email working... dst, you may have to completely uninstall desktop manager and redirector, registry clean and then reload those programs so they will recognize your new device. whats going on is the redirector service is still looking for the old PIN.. if you look at the redirector box you will most likely see the old PIN up there.. sae for the desktop manager... you may see your current pin up but you will also see your old one...
    08-04-09 04:16 PM
    Trying to discuss something on message boards is useless.

So I will just go with ...

Sure!
    Its useless because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Back to what I originally said - you can be fired for bypassing your companys IT. They put these policies in place to stop the security risk they create.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 04:26 PM
    Here's another option. Install Opera Mini. Then go to the same web mail website address that you do on your PC. Use the same login & password and it will work. You just don't get the email pushed to your phone. FYI the BB internet explorer will log onto the web mail account but will not open any mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 04:58 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD