Why am I so scarred to do the 5.0 upgrade......I'm like a nervous little school girl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 10:34 PM
    In reality, installing a leaked OS is the same thing as an official release, but doesn't have the title.

1. Back up through desktop manager.
    2. Download and install the OS
    3. Delete vendor file (some say not necessary)
    4. Run apploader in the Reasearch In Motion Folder
    5. Restore your phone with back up
    6. Enjoy the new OS

Just remember to do a few battery pulls to help the OS settle in
    01-10-10 10:42 PM
    Why am I so scarred to do the 5.0 upgrade......I'm like a nervous little school girl.

there's nothing to it but to do it..lol! It isn't that bad; I felt the same way before I finally made the jump (I'm so glad I did). I just read different experiences on here and that was enough to convince me.
    01-10-10 10:45 PM
    Yeah I have backed it up. Bbsaked my 3rd parties just gotta wipe it and install but I'm just nervous I'm gonna hurt my baby. I'm a fairly tech savy guy but never messed with OS's on phones before. Ill probably take a wack at it after a few hours of modern warfare 2

01-10-10 10:49 PM
    Its like sex, your nervous the first time, but afterwards, you realize what you've been missing. Like sex it becomes addicting too. I love messing around with new leaks and hybrids haha. But it easy and shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.
    01-10-10 10:56 PM
    I was so scared the first time I upgraded my old 8320. I knew the benefits outweighed any possible "damage" I could do, so I read everything about it on CB that I could, and made the plunge.
    Afterwords, I got my first App Error code (I think it was a 503, I tried to use a theme from the prior OS, bc I didn't know any better) and luckily CB was there for me again, to hold my hand and walk me through fixing it.

Anyhow, you will be fine! Sounds like you're prepared, and if you've already done it, then I hope it went well for you!

5.0 is definitely worth it!!
    01-10-10 11:02 PM
    Nope still playin cod. Soon very soon

01-10-10 11:08 PM
    Anyone have AIM that wants to talk me through it

01-11-10 12:20 AM
    I did it.....thaanks to phishy! Holy ballsack this is amazing. Its like a new phone. Only thing that sucked is I lost my apps and bb messenger contacts. Other than that 2 thumbs up

01-11-10 02:11 AM
    I did it.....thaanks to phishy! Holy ballsack this is amazing. Its like a new phone. Only thing that sucked is I lost my apps and bb messenger contacts. Other than that 2 thumbs up

w00t! Glad it worked out for ya!!

Weird that your backup didn't reinstall the apps and contacts, but you might be able to get them back if you use the Restore function in Desktop Manager.

Welcome to 5.0!
    01-11-10 02:30 AM
    Eh no biggie I only had like 4 bb contacts and just got all my free apps back.

01-11-10 02:50 AM
    is the 5.0 available for the tour and is there a desktop manager os for mac?
    01-11-10 04:02 AM
    is the 5.0 available for the tour and is there a desktop manager os for mac?
    The OS 5.0 available right now are all leaker versions. Version .230 and .419 are known to be the most stable.

Desktop Manager for Mac OS X is available here
    01-11-10 09:01 AM

Same here!! I keep putting it off hoping that the official will be released....may have to just do it....

Is there a certain place that is better than others to get the download?
    Last edited by rpearlberg; 01-11-10 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added more questions
    01-11-10 09:19 AM
    ^I've been wondering the same thing.

Also, is there somewhere where I can get a DETAILED explanation of step by step guide to upgrading OS. I see alot of short explanations, but I'm the type of person that needs step by step guides to follow. I shouldn't have an issue doing it at all, but I like the ''manual'' type explanation (just my thing I guess)
    01-11-10 11:21 AM
    01-11-10 01:55 PM
    ^You rock, thank you very much!!
    01-11-10 02:27 PM
    01-11-10 05:00 PM
    i'm making an attempt....where can i download BBSAK? The link in the instructions is broken....
    01-11-10 05:25 PM
    01-11-10 10:04 PM

I feel your pain but I finally got around to upgrading to .419 and I don't think I'll ever go back or be afraid again, it went smoothly with some help from fellow CB user TeeOOmax
    01-11-10 10:11 PM
    Well I'm getting closer to taking the .419 plunge,,, I have it downloaded to my puter,,just need to get BBSak. One thing I noticed, I have no OS (4.7) showing in my "Add/remove" programs on my puter (Vista 64bit) other than desktop manager. So, I have my phone backed up using DM,, can I restore all my contacts after the upgrade to .419? That's the only thing that bothers me, re-entering all my contacts one at a time by hand if the restore fails. The only other thing I care about is BerryWeather, which I can swap out for the 5.0 version on CB, MeterBerry and quicklaunch. Has anyone tried using Meterberry and quicklaunch with the .419? Sorry for the long post..just want to cover the bases before I nuke the Berry. TIA!
    01-12-10 09:04 AM
    All my contacts and texts and emails transfrered fine. I messed up with bbsak and lost my apps but they were all free. So just make sure bbsak saves your third party apps. Go for it brotha, its simply a tour changing os

01-12-10 01:54 PM
    Getting ready to do the upgrade, but I don't see any mention made about whether info on my memory card will be backed up, such as pics, music, etc...(whether through DM or BBSAK). Will the memory card be wiped when the device is wiped? Should I remove the memory card before backing my device up or during the upgrade process? Thanks.
    01-12-10 02:12 PM
    when the official OS is released, will it be an OTA download, or will all of these steps still have to be taken?
    01-12-10 02:16 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD