I have an original Tour and the trackball on it is all messed up. I have had it for a couple months now, and didn't they redesign the Tour to fix the trackball problem? Will they still replace my phone, and if so, will it be with one of the newer models? Thanks
    03-30-10 06:48 PM
    If you've only had your device for a few months, you probably have a "good" device.

Verizon gives you a warranty on the phone, assuming it wasn't abused or water damaged. If it's water damaged, you need the Assurion insurance.

Bring it into a store. They'll try to fix it. If they can't, you'll probably get a refurb. You won't get a new unit, and you won't get some other device.
    03-30-10 06:55 PM
    Yes, what does "the trackball on it is all messed up" mean?

Is it a device malfunction? Dirty? Wet? Something else?

The device has a one year warranty for manufacturing defects. If they determine that the device has a manufacturing defect, they will replace it during the warranty period. You will get a refurbished device. It will be the same model that you currently have.

If they discover damage to the device, then the user would be responsible for the device.
    03-30-10 07:09 PM
    It doesn't roll smoothly and it gets stuck all the time, its not from anything that I did to it. I have heard of many people who have complained about the same problem.
    03-30-10 07:19 PM
    Call Verizon support or go into a store and explain the problem. If they confirm that there is a legitimate problem, you will be ordered a certified replacement. This is much easier done over the phone since they can't physically verify the problem, but rather only go off of what you say. Don't feel like your getting ripped off with the replacement. I got one in December at it's perfect. Practically brand new. No scratches, defects, problems, nothing. Don't hessitate to get one.
    03-30-10 07:22 PM
    Call Verizon support or go into a store and explain the problem. If they confirm that there is a legitimate problem, you will be ordered a certified replacement. This is much easier done over the phone since they can't physically verify the problem, but rather only go off of what you say. Don't feel like your getting ripped off with the replacement. I got one in December at it's perfect. Practically brand new. No scratches, defects, problems, nothing. Don't hessitate to get one.
    Right. Bottom line is if you are not satisfied with the performance of your device, it can't hurt to try out another. Give it a shot.
    03-30-10 07:34 PM
    It doesn't roll smoothly and it gets stuck all the time, its not from anything that I did to it. I have heard of many people who have complained about the same problem.
    Ok. Good luck. Although that sounds like a dirty trackball.

After the first round of devices hit the streets, the vast majority of users haven't had trackball issues that were related to defective equipment.

But again, good luck.
    03-30-10 07:42 PM
    With Verizon... yes they will, even if your trackball is just dirty. I recommend doing it over the phone, I believe that's the best way to get good customer service. As far as the device you might get an older model that has been fixed hence refurbished. I turned mine in two weeks ago because the letter m decided to no longer work on my keypad.
    03-31-10 10:35 AM
    have you used your phone with greasy hands? sweat, lotion, fried chicken?

do you wear makeup or have oily hair? (gets on the ball from talking on it/having it next to your head/face)

these are all factors in making your trackball seem like they're not working properly.

things you may not think effect it but can.
    03-31-10 10:43 AM
    With Verizon... yes they will, even if your trackball is just dirty. I recommend doing it over the phone, I believe that's the best way to get good customer service. As far as the device you might get an older model that has been fixed hence refurbished. I turned mine in two weeks ago because the letter m decided to no longer work on my keypad.
    Hmm....I just found this thread cause my Tour trackball is screwing up. I'm sure it's NOT under warranty, and was bought on Craigslist several months ago (was working fine when I bought it).

I guess I'll have to claim insurance on it...on my VZW account there is something called:
    TEC ADVDEV - ASURION $7.99

So, does that combine a "extended" type warranty and damage replacement...or is this just across the board "pay the deductible and get replacement" service? Just wondering if it would be useless to call CS first or just go ahead and file the claim with Asurion.

Thanks!
    08-03-10 02:44 PM
    Hmm....I just found this thread cause my Tour trackball is screwing up. I'm sure it's NOT under warranty, and was bought on Craigslist several months ago (was working fine when I bought it).

I guess I'll have to claim insurance on it...on my VZW account there is something called:
    TEC ADVDEV - ASURION $7.99

So, does that combine a "extended" type warranty and damage replacement...or is this just across the board "pay the deductible and get replacement" service? Just wondering if it would be useless to call CS first or just go ahead and file the claim with Asurion.

Thanks!
    Tour was released on July 13, 2009, so most Tours should still be under warranty. It can't hurt to call CS first.
    08-03-10 03:06 PM
    Tour was released on July 13, 2009, so most Tours should still be under warranty. It can't hurt to call CS first.
    I thought they had a one year warranty?
    08-03-10 03:07 PM
    I took mine into sprint because it was starting to mess up. And they cleaned it for me. No charge but that was sprint.
    08-03-10 03:13 PM
    I thought they had a one year warranty?
    The original owner has a 1 year warranty. OP is not the original owner. Good luck!
    08-03-10 03:14 PM
    The original owner has a 1 year warranty. OP is not the original owner. Good luck!
    Guess I should have noticed that! LOL I will try that first. May save the deductible, hopefully
    08-03-10 03:18 PM
    I took mine into sprint because it was starting to mess up. And they cleaned it for me. No charge but that was sprint.
    I wish I could clean it and solve it....but I've tried that many times.
    08-03-10 03:20 PM
    Guess I should have noticed that! LOL I will try that first. May save the deductible, hopefully
    check your PM folder
    08-03-10 03:23 PM
    Okay, called VZW, they said that they would not handle it....I needed to call Asurion to file a replacement. So it looks like I'm out the deductible.
    Last edited by wetherb67; 08-03-10 at 05:12 PM.
    08-03-10 05:07 PM
    all carriers will look at the phone and will fix it but they will more then likely give you the same device that you had which will be a tour
    08-03-10 06:33 PM
    You don't need to be the original owner. Unless they've changed their policy in the past few years. I replaced a 8830 once that I had bought on ebay. It was still on warranty and they gave me a refurb, no questions asked. Verizon CS has always been ACES with me, 9 yrs strong.
    08-03-10 06:46 PM
    You don't need to be the original owner. Unless they've changed their policy in the past few years. I replaced a 8830 once that I had bought on ebay. It was still on warranty and they gave me a refurb, no questions asked. Verizon CS has always been ACES with me, 9 yrs strong.
    Guess you got a good rep. Mine never hesitated. Didn't even ask any questions. Just said call Asurion.
    08-04-10 08:34 AM
    I think the warranty is connected to the device and not the owner.
    08-04-10 12:30 PM
    Exactly. The number of owners doesn't matter, just the age of the device. Plus they are usually pretty lenient with the whole 1 year thing, although at this point they may be getting pickier.

Best of luck!
    08-04-10 04:15 PM
    I just wanted to update.

I decided to call again tonight, because it will select but won't scroll in any of the 4 directions.

I got sent to tech support, the guy was SUPER. He even noticed how many times I've changed devices...LOL....Craigslist etc.... but he still had no problem with sending me a replacement Tour, since he said I have Total Equipment protection. I do think it's kind of weird though that I explained the same problem during both calls but the first rep was not going to do anything with the TEP and the second one did it immediately.

Awesome.
    Last edited by wetherb67; 08-05-10 at 09:15 AM.
    08-04-10 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD