I couldn't resist...

But for anyone keeping up with the Onyx updates the guy who revealed the pictures said that the final model of the phone in his pictures will replace the scrolling ball with the touch sensor that the 8520 also uses. Since the Niagara and Onyx appear to share many things (unless I am totally wrong?) should we possibly assume that the final production version of the 9630 will be ball-less?

From the review of the 8520 I think this would be a good thing... I loved my 8330 but disliked how the ball started to become dirty and it seems like the sensor replacement works just as well.
    Last edited by .MgB.; 05-11-09 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    05-11-09 06:21 PM
    I know not of what you speak.
    05-11-09 06:23 PM
    I couldn't resist...

But for anyone keeping up with the Onyx updates the guy who revealed the pictures said that the final model of the phone in his pictures will replace the scrolling ball with the touch sensor that the 8520 also uses. Since the Niagara and Onyx appear to share many things (unless I am totally wrong?) should we possibly assume that the final production version of the 9630 will be ball-less?

From the review of the 8520 I think this would be a good thing... I loved my 8330 but disliked how the ball started to become dirty and it seems like the sensor replacement works just as well.
    If the implementation of the optical track pad is robust, and works well, it would be great on the 9630. It's possible RIM wants to test this on one device for now and see how it does.

Who knows, people may not like it.
    05-11-09 06:28 PM
    I tried another make of device with an OTB the other day. If the BBs with it work in similar fashion, this will open an entirely new horizon in scrolling. Sweet!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 07:41 PM
    wouldn't be just be able to add the optical trackball with aftermarket upgrades?
    05-11-09 07:41 PM
    wouldn't be just be able to add the optical trackball with aftermarket upgrades?
    Possibly but considering the software needs I wouldn't imagine it would be a simple process by any means.

And I am sad my title got changed... I don't see why. :]
    05-11-09 07:43 PM
    I think this is pure wishful thinking as most bloggers Including Kevin hear said that the hardware feels near final and didn't even feel like a "beta" device.

I think there simply to far along into production to use a trackpad at this point..

I think it would be awesome if they did but it seems pretty dang unlikely.
    05-11-09 08:35 PM
    Yeah it def would be awesome like super awesome the trackball aaaallllways ends up sticking. My 8330 just started acting up after 6 months. Super lame.

05-11-09 08:40 PM
    I don't mind the trackball. And for this device, pictures have already surfaced and this device doesn't have an optical trackpad
    05-11-09 09:02 PM
    ^ Do we really know how far along it is in production? The pictures of the Onyx seem to look just as far along in production and development as the 9630 but the claim is that it WILL have a trackpad. I am not saying I am right by any means but the possibility is there for sure and from what I have read I PERSONALLY would prefer the trackpad. But of course, it's not like I won't get it either way ha. :]
    05-11-09 09:08 PM
    i want trackball, dont want touchy trackpad
    05-11-09 09:32 PM
    I don't mind the trackball. And for this device, pictures have already surfaced and this device doesn't have an optical trackpad
    I agree w misscutie

Seriously though I probably won't pick this up without a trackpad

05-11-09 09:37 PM
    I rather have Wi-fi than a trackpad.
    05-11-09 09:39 PM
    I rather have Wi-fi than a trackpad.
    Completely disagree

And why start that same stupid old argument here.

05-11-09 09:45 PM
    As the Device stands now it doesn't have it.. and the device does seem to be final. If Rim makes a change like that I would find it interesting but who knows... may not be a major hardware change but would be interesting to see what is needed software wise..

I would love to see it with the new trackpad... but then again I want Wi-fi too.. and 3g and 1gb of app memory...
    05-11-09 10:09 PM
    I thought this same thing last night when they Onyx pics surfaced. It is a GSM 9630, basically, but it is coming out with a trackpad. Maaaaybe, just maybe, the Tour will have one, too!
    05-11-09 11:25 PM
    Completely disagree

And why start that same stupid old argument here.

I wasn't trying to start the old argument, we've heard it all. I was just saying this because this sort of reminded me of people wishing for wi-fi even though I think a tackpad is more possible but I still doubt it. I don't understand why you would prefer a tackpad over wi-fi. You probably wouldn't use wi-fi much which I would understand but I'm not that into the trackpad since in a way it reminds me of touchscreens. I have also used the trackpad on the Omnia and I wasn't that impressed not that it can't be used better on a BB. At this point I don't see the trackpad being all that much better than the trackball so if there's anything RIM is going to add to the Tour I would take wi-fi any day.
    05-12-09 12:52 AM
    yup! and given all the problems with CDMA that I hve been learning of late, Verizon needs to add features to these devices if they want to compete
    05-12-09 01:06 AM
    as far as i have heard it has no trackball but i think bb needs a trackball.
    05-12-09 01:08 AM
    i too have played with a trackpad on a samsung and they are touchy as he**. no good for MY thumbs anyways....... gimme the trackball pls

05-12-09 01:32 AM
    yup! and given all the problems with CDMA that I hve been learning of late, Verizon needs to add features to these devices if they want to compete

I think honestly people have to quit blaiming verizon....

Verizon does not create the device , RIM DOES then offers it to a carrier the carrier either accepts it or denys it. Verizon does not go HEY RIM MAKE US A BLACKBERRY with this this and this. That's not how it works. The reason CDMA does not receive as many devices as GSM is because there is more GSM carriers world wide so naturally more GSM devices are created.

If you want to blaim verizon for everything then maybe it is time for you to choose a new carrier. I am not saying this in a mean way but honestly it seems like lately all I have seen is verizon bashing.

Why did they not approve the new storm os. I will tell you why they found more bugs in it. So if they did release it 2 weeks later everyone of you that complain now would be complaining about those bugs.

If you don't like your provider go to a provider you like.

and this isn't only at the post I quoted its for anyone on verizon who keeps talking down about them if you don't like it why stay.
    05-12-09 01:52 AM
    Agreed...if you don't want a "crippled" device (without wifi or unlocked GPS) then why stay? You have the option to leave whenever. No one forced you to be a Verizon customer.

Back on subject, I would prefer the trackball. Someone said in the begining of this thread that it gets dirty...isn't this trackball going to be black? I have a black trackball in my Curve and it's been just fine.
    05-12-09 08:42 AM
    Ya know, I'm going to be totally honest. When trackball mouses were out there, It was a love it or hate it style. I personally loved mine, although it made photoshopping a bit touchier. The trackball inside a blackberry is no different than those in the mouses, only smaller. If it gets dirty, clean it. You dont have to completely pull the trackball out to do it. Having used the optical mouse on a friends omnia and on a saga.. well... Its not bad, but it is very touchy unless ya spend the time sitting there tweaking it. I personally prefer the trackball. Always prefered trackball mouses and I prefer this style of trackball. I wouldn't stay away from the device if it went touchpad but it wouldn't be my favorite.
    05-12-09 08:58 AM
    Well that is a personal preference but I would have to imagine "most" people prefer Optical mice these days... more reliable, no need to clean, and way more sensitive... in my opinion of course. Maybe this solves the fundamental difference in those who want the track ball and those who want the track pad... hummm. :]
    05-12-09 11:43 AM
    I think honestly people have to quit blaiming verizon....

Verizon does not create the device , RIM DOES then offers it to a carrier the carrier either accepts it or denys it. Verizon does not go HEY RIM MAKE US A BLACKBERRY with this this and this. That's not how it works. The reason CDMA does not receive as many devices as GSM is because there is more GSM carriers world wide so naturally more GSM devices are created.

If you want to blaim verizon for everything then maybe it is time for you to choose a new carrier. I am not saying this in a mean way but honestly it seems like lately all I have seen is verizon bashing.

Why did they not approve the new storm os. I will tell you why they found more bugs in it. So if they did release it 2 weeks later everyone of you that complain now would be complaining about those bugs.

If you don't like your provider go to a provider you like.

and this isn't only at the post I quoted its for anyone on verizon who keeps talking down about them if you don't like it why stay.
    not blaming verizon... just saying that it seems that CDMA has a lot of limits to its technology that GSM doesnt have. So in order to compete, verizon needs to offer things to remain competitive. As far as what carriers can and cannot request, thats a debatable topic despite me not blaming verizon for CDMA limitations.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-12-09 at 12:11 PM.
    05-12-09 12:08 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD